Data is or Data are?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Data in the modern world is thought of in sets.

A set is singular.

The Data (set) is bad, or the Data (set) is good.

Language evolves...

You're right, language evolves. Which is why I have mostly given up the on the DATA ARE thing.

You're also right about data sets. But no way is that the reason for the change in grammar.

I wish it was. But I am afraid this is just another case of colloquial use winning out over the formal.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You're right, language evolves. Which is why I have mostly given up the on the DATA ARE thing.

You're also right about data sets. But no way is that the reason for the change in grammar.

I wish it was. But I am afraid this is just another case of colloquial use winning out over the formal.
there is a whole schism about 'prescriptivist' grammarians (akin to 'originalist' constitutional folks) vs whatever you call people who advocate for it being correct as long as it 'improves readability'.

To me, that begs the question: who decides what improves readability? For grammar nerds, it's kind of fun to read pissing contests about split infinitives and use of the subjunctive. Kind of like CCS, but for language.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
there is a whole schism about 'prescriptivist' grammarians (akin to 'originalist' constitutional folks) vs whatever you call people who advocate for it being correct as long as it 'improves readability'.

To me, that begs the question: who decides what improves readability? For grammar nerds, it's kind of fun to read pissing contests about split infinitives and use of the subjunctive. Kind of like CCS, but for language.

I got some sense of that cause I dug into the data thing before giving up. Like I said, it used to be kind of a badge of honor in the scientific community.

But there are some old spellings I saw that were straight fucked. And the whole s/f thing too

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
To make this relevant back to @Ares and the OP, as an engineer I adhere to the GI/GO principle: if the UX douchebag tells me that ‘application name’ is in fact a pronoun that should not be sanitized/validated for an input, well, you’re the boss (douche)

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I agree on the evolution, but I'd argue it became colloquial to say "data is" because we think about data in sets, almost all the time.

When was the last time you needed a datum? Just one bit of information and nothing else, no set of data, just one datum?

I'd argue because people always deal with data in sets, it pushed the colloquial win.

I've spent nearly a decade working with Healthcare data.... I cannot think of a time when I needed one bit (datum) and nothing else, so I've never once even had the thought process of "How do I ask a person for one datum instead of many datums?"

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
To make this relevant back to @Ares and the OP, as an engineer I adhere to the GI/GO principle: if the UX douchebag tells me that ‘application name’ is in fact a pronoun that should not be sanitized/validated for an input, well, you’re the boss (douche)

But what datum led you to this decision amongst all the data available to you?

And how did you narrow it down to that one datum amongst all the rest?

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I answered all this in the first response to your post.

Geez guys.

Agenda also became colloquial, because you know, lists and all.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I answered all this in the first response to your post.

Geez guys.

Agenda also became colloquial, because you know, lists and all.

In America, we decide how to speak American, ok?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Fucking dorks

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree on the evolution, but I'd argue it became colloquial to say "data is" because we think about data in sets, almost all the time.

When was the last time you needed a datum? Just one bit of information and nothing else, no set of data, just one datum?

I'd argue because people always deal with data in sets, it pushed the colloquial win.

I've spent nearly a decade working with Healthcare data.... I cannot think of a time when I needed one bit (datum) and nothing else, so I've never once even had the thought process of "How do I ask a person for one datum instead of many datums?"

well journals have style requirements for submissions. that's what I was going off of, mostly. and again, datum/data very much was a distinction. doing it wrong used to get you yelled at. less so now.

Last edited:

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
But what datum led you to this decision amongst all the data available to you?

And how did you narrow it down to that one datum amongst all the rest?
Fake new