Data suck

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
The advertisement videos on this site are a giant data suck.

Was sitting at a bar having a beer and loaded up the site. I don't have unlimited data as I don't use that much and am usually on WiFi in most places.

Anyway a warning came up that I had used half my data. No worries, but I didn't clear the notification and within 5 minutes (reading one page) it had already sucked down another 100+ megabytes of data. I assume because of the stupid auto loading video thing.

That's rather extreme. I get you guys need to monetize the site but could you figure out a way to do it without slaughtering those of us who are not on unlimited data plans. Tia.

@Rush @Jamais Vu @nvanprooyen @SilenceS @Crystallas @clonetrooper264

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
sendtonews is a scourge. My time visiting here is greatly reduced because of the abominations at the top of the pages.

The abominations within threads lately have also contributed. Particularly all the numbskulls in the Bears forum. The proclamations there are worse than they ever were.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I use adblock at home. Does the job. I don't really come here much on mobile because the sit doesn't seem to work too well in my mobile web browser.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Was sitting at a bar having a beer and loaded up the site. I don't have unlimited data as I don't use that much and am usually on WiFi in most places.

Anyway a warning came up that I had used half my data. No worries, but I didn't clear the notification and within 5 minutes (reading one page) it had already sucked down another 100+ megabytes of data. I assume because of the stupid auto loading video thing.

That's rather extreme. I get you guys need to monetize the site but could you figure out a way to do it without slaughtering those of us who are not on unlimited data plans. Tia.

Turnoff your phone and enjoy the beers

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Dont tag me in this. Im just a dumb southerner that just got the interwebz and shit. Damn you @zack54attack

Honestly, @nvanprooyen and @Crystallas are you best bets at a fix. @Rush only shows up when he wants to steal our mod google bucks pension plan. That animal

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I don't know if this is a possibility, but maybe ads that aren't so data heavy on mobile browsers.... I'm sure You know what browser is accessing the site.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Just get a plan that has unlimited data like the rest of us.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just get a plan that has unlimited data like the rest of us.
So you can live here like some dick h something. New year is much like last year. It happens until Rush and Zack ... Get tired of us

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
For everyone tagging me, I am but a simple moderator on this forum and have nothing to do with or have permissions to deal with anything development related on this forum. But to the admins, if you'd like me to take a look at anything related to that, please let me know.

Cc: @zack54attack

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For everyone tagging me, I am but a simple moderator on this forum and have nothing to do with or have permissions to deal with anything development related on this forum. But to the admins, if you'd like me to take a look at anything related to that, please let me know.

Cc: @zack54attack
Great post buddy

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Get an unlimited plan, then donate a lot more to CCS. /thread

Oh, I have nothing to do with these things.

Dogstar

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
  2. Wisconsin Badgers
Get an unlimited plan, then donate a lot more to CCS. /thread

Oh, I have nothing to do with these things.

Pay $50 a month (or whatever it is) for an unlimited data plan just to use this site? Ahhh, no. Some of us aren't and don't care to be married to our phones.

By the way, the videos are annoying on any platform. Reloading/restarting every time you refresh or open a different page... persistent, repetitive and I don't care about 90% of the content. It's a lot like the most active forum actually.

If you want donations, make the site worth donating to...
/barkingupatree

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Pay $50 a month (or whatever it is) for an unlimited data plan just to use this site? Ahhh, no. Some of us aren't and don't care to be married to our phones.

By the way, the videos are annoying on any platform. Reloading/restarting every time you refresh or open a different page... persistent, repetitive and I don't care about 90% of the content. It's a lot like the most active forum actually.

/barkingupatree

No, you pay now. Use a landline if necessary.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

/barkingupatree

I must agree; I hate how they resize after load on desktop, too, but I got yelled at when I complained after they first showed up because $ and I guess I didn't donate enough to the site

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
You guys ever figure out how to turn off the stupidly annoying auto play data suck??? Or just decide to say "Fuck it, let em suffer."????

@zack54attack

I know you know how to dicker with the settings after the whole stupid Negs that don't take away rep points bs.

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
Unless advertisers pay less for non-auto playing ads at least turn it off for mobile sites. The shit drains the battery like crazy too.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I don't know if this is a possibility, but maybe ads that aren't so data heavy on mobile browsers.... I'm sure You know what browser is accessing the site.

Do you at least get free nights and weekends?