David Montgomery

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Went 16 minutes between carries in the 1st half.

B2X1diq.png

I wonder if that could be a problem... ?

The best player on the Bears under-talented offense had 16 minutes between carries. Let that shit sink in.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I hope Getsy learns from this shit game he called or someone hires him as a HC asap.
Fingers crossed that he's not Matt Nagy.

No matter what happened last night, that 16 minutes between carries is a HUGE oversight. I really hope that we never see that again.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yall could have Nathanial Hackett and have a 220 pound back that you refuse to let run on the 1 yard line.

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
A whole QTR of football between carries.

Nice.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yall could have Nathanial Hackett and have a 220 pound back that you refuse to let run on the 1 yard line.
Hackett has been so bad. He's been comically awful at playcalling, game managing and his timeout usage

Speed

Liked Posts:
I was screaming what a fuck up he was during that 2nd drive. We pounded them up the ass with the run on our 1st drive, and he just gets away from that. Soon enough the whole game get's away from us. Sometimes they outsmart themselves. Let them prove they can actually stop the run before getting into some chess match about throwing the ball when they expect a run.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
They substituted Herbert for Monty on the 3rd series.

I believe the Bears are either planning on not signing Monty or unsure about it, hence Herbert is going to see some action this season, probably 30% of the carries.

It didn't make sense to sub Monty who was on fire, but I think we are going to see plenty of Herbert this season.

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
Running the ball successfully demoralizes a defense. We were well on the way to doing just that when Monty was ignored.
I dont get it.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Running the ball successfully demoralizes a defense. We were well on the way to doing just that when Monty was ignored.
I dont get it.

Because you gotta give Herbert and the Packers backup interior lineman some playtime so they don't get mad!

Doesn't matter is jenkins and Monty are beasting

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Been fuming on this very subject since Sunday.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we know what we have with David Montgomery. I think we also know this team isn’t competing for anything substantial (other than a higher pick in the draft). I doubt, though can’t say for certain, putting in Monte the entire game changes the outcome: Green Bay, even when having their own comical errors, completely outclassed the Bears. I’d rather the team focus on developing and evaluating the personnel they have rather than screwing up draft position on a hopeless and talent bereft season by running the wheels off of DM. I’d say that was their goal and say it explains the rotation of offensive lineman, but it doesn’t explain the complete departure from getting Fields passing attempts and reps - after all, developing and evaluating Fields should be the most pivotal of all their priorities.

Eberflus mentioned Gordon getting burned as a way for him to learn, but why not the same mentality with Fields? I can’t say.

DM is a bright spot on a dismal offense, for sure. But he’s a known quantity IMO as is this team not being a super bowl or playoff contender, so let’s put our emphasis on where it needs to be (imo, again) and get the young players that need it time and reps. It’s a rebuild after all.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Bears first scoring drive was brilliance. every subsequent drive was the polar opposite gameplan. very... Nagy. kind of concerning.

as has been the topic, the part that's probably the most concerning is Fields is being handcuffed on top of it. I don't know what 8D chess power play this team thinks they're going to execute, but this is pretty bad.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
The best player on the Bears under-talented offense had 16 minutes between carries. Let that shit sink in.
Just to point this out, Montgomery was stuffed to no end by the 49ers while Herbert had some success. Conversely, Fields was basically the reason why the offense scored 3 straight TDs against the 49ers while he was awful against the Packers. The reality is that we really have no idea what's true and what's not at this point, what with all the new players, new coaches and new scheme.

About the only thing we know if that this team is undertalented and therefore figure to lose more games than they win, even if the coaching is pretty good. The exact reasons why we lose are going to vary from week to week.

Last edited:

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Monty had 15 carries compared to 4 for Herbert, if you look at it that way, it sounds like Monty is still the cow bell and Herbert is only giving him a rest.
Herbert still had a better average, but both (8.1yds to 9.5yds) were pretty damn good, so sticking with the run made sense.
Hard to tell how many of Field's runs were called plays.

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
If feeding Monty gives us a chance to beat the Packers at the expense of Fields development, I'm all for it.
Not saying it would have, but maybe when they come here.
So tired of the Rodgers' smirk.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Just to point this out, Montgomery was stuffed to no end by the 49ers while Herbert had some success. Conversely, Fields was basically the reason why the offense scored 3 straight TDs against the 49ers while he was awful against the Packers. The reality is that we really have no idea what's true and what's not at this point, what with all the new players, new coaches and new scheme.
Every coach says you stick to the run, even when it's not working. You keep pounding because it will pay off in the end. I've never heard a coach say, "Don't give it to your star RB for 16 minutes. That's how you beat a better team." ?

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Every coach says you stick to the run, even when it's not working. You keep pounding because it will pay off in the end. I've never heard a coach say, "Don't give it to your star RB for 16 minutes. That's how you beat a better team." ?
Agreed, but we're saying Montgomery is a "star" running back now? I mean, i like him, but my point is still that people this offseason have been ready to let him walk because we have a 2nd year back in Herbert. Are we really saying that Montgomery is the lynchpin of this offense when he was stone cold shut down by the 49ers one week earlier while Fields, now-awful QB who one psychologist here says has completely given up on the Bears after week 2, was the reason we won that game when no one gave us fighting chance to in the first place?

In my view, we still don't know what we have in Fields and the coaching staff has a lot to figure out with how to run this offense to the best of the players' abilities. Let's also give the GB defense some credit: they're good, with one of the best secondaries in the league.

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hackett has been so bad. He's been comically awful at playcalling, game managing and his timeout usage
His second game was just as bad as the first if not worse. Its comical. They were averaging over 6 a carry and he runs a sweep option to the tight end on 4th down. The punt on what the 38 on 4 and 2. Takes the delay of game and punt down 3 in the second half against a bad team. The guy has no clue what is going on