Davis Mills QB - Stanford

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I saw a couple games worth of tape on him. He was very erratic. Did make some NFL level throws but they were mixed in with some truly awful throws as well. Moved alright but not someone who has notable lateral quickness, seemed a bit stiff in the lower body. Inconsistent footwork as you might imagine from his inconsistent throws. Didn't see much off platform.

I am not someone who takes much stock in pro day/combine stuff for QBs, it's just not like what they have to do in game.

There is potential but not someone I would get really excited about.
my personal opinion, a lot of these guys unless they develop pristine technique early, have habits that are hard to break unless they really work their asses off in the pros like a Brady type.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Who gives a shit about his HS ranking in 2017. That’s his biggest accomplishment wow amazing.

This kid is trash, 2-3 rd lol ?‍♂️

It just says how much talent this kid had coming into college and without the injuries how much better he could of been. It's obviously a hit or miss but so isn't every other QB that gets drafted besides very few. Looking good in your pro day shouldn't automatically make you a day 1 or 2 pick but looking as good as he did in the rain with all those NFL team scouts and coaches and GM's behind you says something about a kid still. He didn't just look good, he looked really good and IMO i think he's worth a shot for a team like the Bears in the 4th or maybe 3rd round. Put him behind Dalton for a year and see what the kid looks like.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah he's raw as fuck. Probably should have played another season. But Shaw knows QB's and was very positive. This is the type of kid that stays another year and comes out a first round pick or get's hurt again and becomes a FA. It's a risk. But the talent is very very obvious. This is the type of QB the Bears have needed to take a swing at in the past and haven't. He's played very well in the games he has played. Just needs more time.

Anyways.... not saying this is the only QB to draft or anything. Just pointing him out as an interesting non round 1 option is all.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Based on recent history, to me it’s a waste of time not taking a first round guy.

Usually only one guy past the first round turns into a QB you’d want every few years.

Sure you might get lucky. but most of the time it’s just going to be another wasted year or two seeing if this less talented prospect can figure it out.

Why waste another year or two digging through the trash for such low chances of them turning into something?

The odds are always significantly more in your favor taking a QB with a round 1 grade even if it does require a trade up.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Based on recent history, to me it’s a waste of time not taking a first round guy.

Usually only one guy past the first round turns into a QB you’d want every few years.

Sure you might get lucky. but most of the time it’s just going to be another wasted year or two seeing if this less talented prospect can figure it out.

Why waste another year or two digging through the trash for such low chances of them turning into something?

The odds are always significantly more in your favor taking a QB with a round 1 grade even if it does require a trade up.

I mean you have to do both until you find one. Of course the odds are better in round one. But we all can list the great QB's not found in round one. You have to take swings at the position and Pace hasn't. I'd draft one in round one and then another one later if I was the GM. This drafting one and waiting 4-5 years to draft another is NOT the way forward.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
How about that Simi Fehoko (Stanford WR)that's 6'4, 222 pounds and ran a 4.42 40? Might be a nice pick for us depending on what round. Need to trade A.Miller.

I really don’t know anything about him. This is another deep draft for wide receivers for sure.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So we need to start talking about this guy.

#1 Pro Style QB in 2017 HS class.

Has a gimp left knee so he didn't start early. Plays a bit last year and only has 6 games this year due to COVID.

Only has 11 starts to his name.

But can make all the throws. He's big. 6'4 He has a decent arm. Ran some good 40 times at his pro day today. (Flip was there)

Supposed to be a smart kid. (Stanford) Coach says he'd be a first round pick if he had more tape.

Not sure if you're going to like this or not but ....

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
I mean you have to do both until you find one. Of course the odds are better in round one. But we all can list the great QB's not found in round one. You have to take swings at the position and Pace hasn't. I'd draft one in round one and then another one later if I was the GM. This drafting one and waiting 4-5 years to draft another is NOT the way forward.
I'm all in on taking multiple shots. I just think they need to be the right shots.

Dak in the 2016 draft is the last guy to really become a franchise guy taken after round 1 and that was 5 years ago now. Rather than almost certainly throwing away a 2nd round pick, I'd much rather use that and whatever else it takes in a package to trade up and take the biggest swing on a 1st round graded QB prospect you can get your hands on. That's where the odds are in your favor as far as this guy actually turning into something special.

To me the best strategy for taking multiple shots right now though is bringing in a free agent to pair with that 1st round QB prospect who still has some high upside (like Jameis, Mariota, or Darnold if he comes cheap). Then it doesn't end up costing you any extra draft picks

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I watched a little tape of Mills and wasn't impressed. Of the Day 2 / middle round prospects, I liked Mond more.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Thank you too!

I'm counting on you to be correct in this #calledit and for him to be the next Tom Brady. We know he's got a shot at Pace drafting him because he's just got that "look" so maybe this is it and we can forgive him for ever drafting Mitch.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey at least you watched it unlike others! Thanks
I watched his highlights and a game or two of "every throw" tape earlier. I went in knowing he was *the* top HS prospect coming into college. Just wasn't that impressed with his arm talent. I see an abundance of touch and lofted throws. I'm not seeing the drive on outs.

Realistically second tier guys are probably what we'll be left with so it's worth looking at a guy like Mills in depth. Maybe he's a marginal starter and I can't see more than a 3-4 round grade on him.