Dazz Newsome Scouting Report

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I can see it now NFL titles a game winner.

Soldier Field(s) to Dazz(le) Newsome for the go ahead TD late in the 4th

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he's depth or PS and probably doesn't make team. WRs drafted this late rarely work out.
He will make the team, if for no other reason than for return duties.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I believe the 4.38 is a mistake that came from Bears wire.

I know of no other site that reported 4.38. Not sure if Bears wire saw his short shuttle and missed it up with his 40 time.
It was in that story. 4.38 was shuttle time. Some writer picked it up as 40 time.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We should chucking the ball down field with some of this speed. And the Ives guy should be going over the middle. I have know idea what Nagy is thinking ?

dazz newsome
4.38 40-yard dash. has terrific separation quickness, fluidity in and out of his breaks, and deception to set up those breaks.

Mooney...4.38 seconds

Allen Robinson
4.6-second

marquise goodwin ....4.27-second ***

Thomas Ives 4.48 6'5"...why isn't he on the field in "red zone" situations

anthony miller 4.38 seconds

Not sure where you are getting your info, but both Newsome and Miller ran 40s in the 4.5s (generous pro day #s only on both).

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not saying he's Rice or anything, but Rice's 40 time was suspect as well. In fact some teams thought he was slow.

Maybe Dazz is faster in pads on GameDay.

He will make the team and compete for returner.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Great QBs make great receivers - that's why we never really had one.

Get ready for Daz Newsome to start catching the best deep balls in the game from Fields

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We should chucking the ball down field with some of this speed. And the Ives guy should be going over the middle. I have know idea what Nagy is thinking ?

dazz newsome
4.38 40-yard dash. has terrific separation quickness, fluidity in and out of his breaks, and deception to set up those breaks.

Mooney...4.38 seconds

Allen Robinson
4.6-second

marquise goodwin ....4.27-second ***

Thomas Ives 4.48 6'5"...why isn't he on the field in "red zone" situations

anthony miller 4.38 seconds
I liked the Dazz pick a lot but he ran a 4.59 at his Pro day.
Miller ran a 4.5 at his Pro day and he clearly hasn't shown 4.3 speed in the NFL.

You'd think Miller's quick twitch would be perfect for the slot but his instincts and ball traits say otherwise. Hands, hand position and leaving his feet when not required has been disappointing. Has poor feel for run lanes using blockers or finding space in routes. You want feel for coverages, sure hands and RAC from the slot. 40 times aren't really that important if the guy has some twitch.

Last edited:

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

Get ready for Daz Newsome to start catching the best deep balls in the game from Fields
Hold your tongue! How dare you insult Devin Aromashodu, greatest WR in modern history!

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Go Heels!!!

PROSPECT SUMMARY - DAZZ NEWSOME

North Carolina wide receiver Dazz Newsome enjoyed a productive four-year career for the Tar Heels and improved every season in college. Despite a loaded group of skill players, Newsome still collected 126 catches for 1,702 yards and 16 touchdowns across the last two seasons at North Carolina with Newsome primarily operating from the slot, where he projects best at the next level. Newsome is a good route-runner with excellent separation quickness, has terrific hands, outstanding ball skills, and is a fearless competitor. He’s excellent at creating yards after the catch and is truly a threat to all levels of the field. When it comes to areas where Newsome can develop, expanding his route tree and adding more variance to his release package stand out. In addition, improving his functional strength to hold up better as a route-runner when challenged with contact would be helpful. Newsome has the ability to be a featured slot receiver in the NFL that brings additional value in the return game, as he is a proven punt returner.

Ideal Role: Starting slot receiver and punt returner.
Scheme Fit: West Coast, 11-personnel heavy.

FILM EVALUATION

Written by Joe Marino
Games watched: Duke (2019), Clemson (2019), Pittsburgh (2019), Virginia Tech (2019), Syracuse (2020), Notre Dame (2020), Wake Forest (2020), Virginia Tech (2020)

Best Game Studied: Wake Forest (2020)
Worst Game Studied: Clemson (2019)

Route Running: Operating primarily from the slot for North Carolina, Newsome ran a limited route tree in college but he is effective at challenging all three levels of the field. He can uncover quickly and is lethal on option routes. He generates strong vertical push, knows how to stack corners and create leverage down the field. He also demonstrates the ability to adjust on the fly and attack space in zone coverage. Newsome has some challenges when contact is introduced early in routes or at the top of route stems—I want to see him anticipate that better and be more deliberate about reducing his surface area to stay clear of hand checks. The routes he is proven at are primarily outs, whips, posts, slot fades, and go balls.

Hands: Newsome’s hands are plucky and he has no issues snatching the football outside his frame and scooping out low throws. There are plenty of reps that show him firmly holding onto the football through contact and his concentration is strong. While he has an occasional drop, it’s not been a prominent issue and he was very consistent in 2020.

Separation: Newsome has terrific separation quickness, fluidity in and out of his breaks, and deception to set up those breaks. He’s routinely able to get behind the secondary and create opportunities to push the ball down the field. His ability to win deep sets up opportunities to snap off routes and work the intermediate areas of the field. In both 2019 and 2020, Newsome was open far more frequently than he was targeted.

Release Package: Newsome operates almost exclusively from the slot, which avoids press coverage situations where the corner can play right on top of him. With that said, there are still too many reps where he gets hung on contact and needs to be more deliberate about his angles, reducing his surface area, and getting his hands involved early in routes to clear contact. Newsome is quick and fluid releasing out of his stance but there is some room for technical growth here.

Run After Catch: Newsome is highly competitive with the ball in his hands. He’s decisive, slippery, quick after the catch, and he’s capable of creating for himself. His skill set demands manufactured touches that give him chances to create in space.

Ball Skills: Newsome is not afraid to work the middle of the field and he has terrific sideline skills on account of his body control and strong ball skills. He does well to track the football over his shoulder, adjust, and carry speed to and through the football on go balls. He rarely misplays the football and his quarterback never hesitated to throw the ball into space and trust that Newsome will make a play on the football.

Football IQ: Newsome’s ability to be a threat to all levels of the field and create space for himself speaks to his feel for the game. He’s been a steady contributor for four seasons at North Carolina, demonstrating incremental growth in every season. Newsome has excellent spatial awareness and never looks calculated.

Versatility: Newsome is likely a slot-only receiver in the NFL—where he played almost exclusively in college. He has experience as a kick returner, but most of his return experience is as a punt returner. For his career returning punts, Newsome has fielded 104 punts—54 of those were fair catches and 50 were returned for an average of 10.7 yards/return with one touchdown and one muff. Newsome is a competitive blocker but lacks the functional strength to be a standout.

Competitive Toughness: Newsome is a tough dude. He has a modest frame but he’s more than willing to block and be physical with the ball in his hands, finishing runs and putting his body on the line for extra yards. He plays with a hot motor and brings plenty of juice to the table. I love the way he competes for the ball in the air and is willing to play above his weight class.

Big-Play Ability: Newsome’s average yards per reception doesn’t scream big-play threat, but that’s because he gets targets at all levels of the field. But as a slot, most of them are within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. He has a strong vertical receiving skill set and can create for himself after the catch in addition to being a legitimate threat as a punt returner.

Prospect Comparison
: KJ Osbourn (2020 NFL Draft, Minnesota Vikings)

SCOUT GRADES

TDN Consensus: 70.83/100
Joe Marino:
70.00/100
Kyle Crabbs: 72.50/100
Jordan Reid: NA/100
Drae Harris: 70.00/100

I was listening to Locked on Bears yesterday, and they had Locked on Tarheels. She went on about how good an clutch he was on big plays.

I didn’t realize how good his hands are. If he can be the sure-handed receiver with a home run ability, he can be a regular contributor on the team.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
By that logic, he’s just as fast practically as Jesper Horsted
Antonio brown ran a 4.47, arob 4.6, Dez bryant 4.52, juju 4.54. I could continue on with other good players who didn't run blazing speeds

Also jesper horsteds issue isn't speed

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Antonio brown ran a 4.47, arob 4.6, Dez bryant 4.52, juju 4.54. I could continue on with other good players who didn't run blazing speeds

Also jesper horsteds issue isn't speed

Here's his pro day. He slips on the 3 cone drill on a not so hard cut. That would explain his performance on that particular drill where he was at the bottom. I wonder if his shoes were bad on the turf.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Really hoping to see Mooney being the guy that's catching most of the deep balls from Fields but i'll take them from Mooney, ARob, Dazz, Goodwin, Byrd, Miller, Ridley, Cohen or even Wims as long as we get them.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Here's his pro day. He slips on the 3 cone drill on a not so hard cut. That would explain his performance on that particular drill where he was at the bottom. I wonder if his shoes were bad on the turf.
He doesn't seem to make very good cuts does he? Might be something in his hips and/or his feet but he did stumble going around that one cone in the 3 cone drill and in some of the other drills or when he made a cut in the back of the end zone it doesn't look great. I remember one person say about him that he catches the ball with his body a lot in games.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
CCS, where a sixth round pick is automatically competing for a starting spot. Party on Wayne.

By this brilliant logic Mooney should have never seen the field last year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I was listening to Locked on Bears yesterday, and they had Locked on Tarheels. She went on about how good an clutch he was on big plays.

I didn’t realize how good his hands are. If he can be the sure-handed receiver with a home run ability, he can be a regular contributor on the team.

This is the best analysis I have seen of him. The narrator's voice is boring but you get a good feel for Newsome that matches the scouting report. What you see is a guy that varies his route speed well and that is how he wins. He also does a really good job of making his breaks the minute he gets the CB to bite on a stutter or a fake.

Now he will need to be more precise and clean up some of the false steps he takes from time to time but there is enough there that he reminds me of another 6th round pick who was a PR and slot guy ie Antonio Brown. Now he may never reach the levels Brown did but he has the same type of energy and speed variation that allows him to play faster than he times IMO. Again it is a question of how much he can refine his route running to be as reliable as Brown was in his prime.

Last edited:

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:

This is the best analysis I have seen of him. The narrator's voice is boring but you get a good feel for Newsome that matches the scouting report. What you see is a guy that varies his route speed well and that is how he wins. He also does a really good job of making his breaks the minute he gets the CB to bit on a stutter or a fake.

Now he will need to be more precise and clean up some of the false steps he takes from time to time but there is enough there that he reminds me of another 6th round pick who was a PR and slot guy ie Antonio Brown. Now he may never reach the levels Brown did but he has the same type of energy and speed variation that allows him to play faster than he times IMO. Again it is a question of how much he can refine his route running to be as reliable as Brown was in his prime.
Thanks for the video! Nice find

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Not sure where you are getting your info, but both Newsome and Miller ran 40s in the 4.5s (generous pro day #s only on both).

when ya look it up that 4.3 time shows up. Since then we've determined that a sportswriter confused it with a shuttle time