Dealing with an incomplete roster..

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Defense has been ok?!

Giants ran for 262 yards yesterday and won with both QBs injured, what games have you been watching?!
I said defense has done okay considering personnel departures. Statistically have done well versus the pass in terms of completion percentage and yards/1st down. 11th in points. Nothing stellar but considering we got rid of alot of people I am not upset.I think Flus can handle a defense no doubt.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I said defense has done okay considering personnel departures. Statistically have done well versus the pass in terms of completion percentage and yards/1st down. 11th in points. Nothing stellar but considering we got rid of alot of people I am not upset.I think Flus can handle a defense no doubt.
Defense needs some work but it is pretty hilarious that they’re 11th in points, haven’t given up a TD in the 2nd half, and you have some people comparing this unit to Mel tucker’s defense. They’ve been pretty decent overall. The sky isn’t falling

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
The problem with waiting to pick a QB until you are happy with the rest of the roster or you are certain the QB you have will never develop, is that you are not always in position to pick a good prospect.

This last year was a very unique draft, in that only 1 QB was picked in the first round. Typically teams that need a QB are willing to "reach"

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Defense needs some work but it is pretty hilarious that they’re 11th in points, haven’t given up a TD in the 2nd half, and you have some people comparing this unit to Mel tucker’s defense. They’ve been pretty decent overall. The sky isn’t falling
I don't see how anyone can say the defense hasn't been pretty great compared to expectations. We've even been missing our top corner for two games with Kyler Gordon not playing well. Has anyone complained about Kindle Vildor? Dude seems to have become a solid corner after being something of a disaster last year, so let's not run Kyler Gordon out of town just yet.

The D-line has been much better than anticipated. We're struggling to stop the run right now because this is a gap integrity defense with a whole lot of new guys that need to both learn the defense and learn to trust one another.

So much doom and gloom which makes no sense for a team that we all knew wouldn't be good coming into the year. There's lot of bright spots, you just have to be willing to not be a debbie downer to see them.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see how anyone can say the defense hasn't been pretty great compared to expectations. We've even been missing our top corner for two games with Kyler Gordon not playing well. Has anyone complained about Kindle Vildor? Dude seems to have become a solid corner after being something of a disaster last year, so let's not run Kyler Gordon out of town just yet.
To be fair the corners didn't really get exposed in coverage this last game because the Giants didn't really even throw the ball. Largely because they didn't need to when they could tap dance untouched into the endzone lol

Enasic

Liked Posts:

The D-line has been much better than anticipated. We're struggling to stop the run right now because this is a gap integrity defense with a whole lot of new guys that need to both learn the defense and learn to trust one another.

So much doom and gloom which makes no sense for a team that we all knew wouldn't be good coming into the year. There's lot of bright spots, you just have to be willing to not be a debbie downer to see them.

It’s all about points. Bears are ranked 11th in that category. People need to calm their tits

msadows

Liked Posts:
It’s all about points. Bears are ranked 11th in that category. People need to calm their tits

Direct result of playing trash offenses.

If you cant stop the same play over and over you probably are a shit D.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Direct result of playing trash offenses.

If you cant stop the same play over and over you probably are a shit D.

They didn’t allow a 2nd half TD to GB either. Fact of the matter is, they’re ranked 11th in points given up. You could downplay that however you’d like, but it’s an encouraging stat.

They definitely struggled yesterday and they need to get off to better starts. They were also without their best CB (for two games) and are learning a completely different system with the youngest roster in the league. Overall, they’ve been a respectable group but obviously still have work to do

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I think most are concerned about the run D, which is warranted. It's actually on pace to be worse than Tucker's historically bad year

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Agreed in part. There are WRs who fit a QB, to some degree. An inaccurate QB does a little better with receivers with a large catch radius, while very accurate QBs just want a guy that can get open.

"Earn" might not have been the best word, but if Fields is still playing poorly at the end of the season I think it does influence personnel. A GM may not make a huge jump but if you have a similarly graded receiver vs DL you might be inclined to pick the WR if you like your QB.

I guess the latter is where I disagree. I think there are still too many holes for Fields play to make a significant difference this offseason.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I think most are concerned about the run D, which is warranted. It's actually on pace to be worse than Tucker's historically bad year

Yep the run D is def a concern. That said, Tuckers D was like all time bad. They were giving up 30+ points every week. This defense isn’t nearly as bad overall as a whole. They definitely need to shore up the run defense though

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Yep the run D is def a concern. That said, Tuckers D was like all time bad. They were giving up 30+ points every week. This defense isn’t nearly as bad overall as a whole. They definitely need to shore up the run defense though
They were also the #2 scoring offense that year. They're going to have to figure out the gap assignments. Alan Williams' defenses haven't been all that well against the run though. So I'm not sure if it can be taught. That was his main problem in Minny as DC

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
GMs in the league have said it, and I believe you look at the 2nd half of the 2nd season to see where a QB will end up. After about 18 games you have a good picture of a young QB.

If Fields does not improve, the Bears will either draft a QB in 2023 or 2024. They aren't going to build around a player they do not feel is their fracnhise QB and I believe they will have a pretty good idea about that by end of this season.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
They were also the #2 scoring offense that year. They're going to have to figure out the gap assignments. Alan Williams' defenses haven't been all that well against the run though. So I'm not sure if it can be taught. That was his main problem in Minny as DC
He has Flus to lean on though. Their front four hasn’t been playing well at all. They aren’t generating pressure and are getting killed in the run game. They play better in the 2nd half so whatever is going on, I think it’s correctable.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Yep the run D is def a concern.
Joe Thomas and Nicholas Morrow are starting for us a WLB and SLB. These are career replacement/backup level players making close to the NFL minimum.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
This is why the Bears fucking suck. QB is literally the only position that matters. Their strategy this season was do nothing on the offensive side and hope Fields turns into Aaron Rodgers. Everything the Bears do should be geared towards helping Fields - and if Fields isn't the guy in the end you'll at least be setting up the next QB for success.

Going 'BPA' in the draft is killing the Bears. Because what happens is you end up with good players at random positions and then you draft a 5th round OT and a 3rd round WR and they completely suck. But hey, at least we have a good safety!!!
Bears fans are the dumbest in the nfl by far. They’re the propaganda arm of the bears organization. No organization out there ever says shit like “this stupid fucking bitch rookie QB if he’s worth anything will have to succeed with the worst offensive staff in the league”. No one does that. Good teams surround their young QBs with talent

brundleflyguy

Liked Posts:
Bears fans are the dumbest in the nfl by far. They’re the propaganda arm of the bears organization. No organization out there ever says shit like “this stupid fucking bitch rookie QB if he’s worth anything will have to succeed with the worst offensive staff in the league”. No one does that. Good teams surround their young QBs with talent
You nailed it. The idea that teams expect a single player (even the QB) to carry an offense full of second tier players and backups is ridiculous.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Lacking personnel to rush the passer?!

Where's Robert Quinn? You know the guy who broke Richard Dent's single season sack record in franchise history last year?
You see Quinn most plays going for his strongest move of a hard, fast rush around the edge and often times getting pushed to the ground by the tackles who know he is more of a one trick pony. Quinn gets results when the middle of the defensive line collapses the pocket leaving the QB no where to step up and a sitting duck for Quinn's outside edge motion. We haven't been collapsing the pocket consistently and as a result, you can watch Quinn fly around about 1-2 yards behind the QB who is sitting comfortably in the pocket on most plays.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
The Bears will probably draft a defensive player with our 1st pick. Won't be surprised.

Nah, it will most likely be a WR in the 1st and OL in the 2nd.

Could see a 3T in the 3rd round or later.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Neither would I. Poles will just try to acquire talent in this next draft at any position. He DGAF about Fields development. I think Fields is really going to have to show something in the 2nd half of the season for him to "earn" an early pick at OL or WR.

This makes no sense at all, but it is the process the Bears have been following for over 100 years. Ignore drafting offensive talent and just switch out the QB every few years while really only investing in defensive talent.

'bEaRS fOoTbAlL!!!!!!'