Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Calling my shot.

Friction with Kyler Murray who likely will not be healthy to begin next year.

$30 mil cap hit next year.

Cardinals traded a 1st for a younger Marquise Brown and paid him.

1) Hopkins 2) Claypool 3) Mooney ? ?

Or (lol) Poles ? will find a way to reunite Fields with Jaxon Smith-Njigba.

2023 the Bears take the North and never give it back. Ya heard me.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
And how do you expect that to happen? Are the Bears going to trade another high pick for another WR? They obviously are not trading 2 for him, unless it's part of a trade down. New team would probably have to give him a new contract as he'd be super cheap (under 10M AAV for acquiring team). And he's over 30, doesn't fit in the timeline with the rest of the roster as he'd be the oldest non K or LS on the roster (all older than him are free agents that won't be back).

dennehy

Liked Posts:
His cap hit is about $20mil if traded, not $30mil.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Poles guts the entire team of anyone old…. Only to replace them with different old players.

C’mon people. Think. It’s a youth movement.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, Poles guts the entire team of anyone old…. Only to replace them with different old players.

C’mon people. Think. It’s a youth movement.
Just for this critical piece to adequately support the franchise QB baba.

Don’t worry, the rest of my mock offseason includes all players 26 yr and younger (i.e. DaRon Payne, Elgton Jenkins, etc.)

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
And how do you expect that to happen? Are the Bears going to trade another high pick for another WR? They obviously are not trading 2 for him, unless it's part of a trade down. New team would probably have to give him a new contract as he'd be super cheap (under 10M AAV for acquiring team). And he's over 30, doesn't fit in the timeline with the rest of the roster as he'd be the oldest non K or LS on the roster (all older than him are free agents that won't be back).
2 third round picks aka the BMarsh deal.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It’s really not a horrible idea. Yeah he’s old but he still has a few productive years left (barring another PED incident). Would be a bridge gap allowing Poles to build the lines this year and then draft a WR1 the following year hopefully.

Look at what other teams have done for their QBs - Diggs for Allen, Hill for Tua, Brown for Hurts

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
It’s really not a horrible idea. Yeah he’s old but he still has a few productive years left (barring another PED incident). Would be a bridge gap allowing Poles to build the lines this year and then draft a WR1 the following year hopefully.

Look at what other teams have done for their QBs - Diggs for Allen, Hill for Tua, Brown for Hurts
Ok, but target somebody younger than Hopkins.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

This. Poles isn’t giving up draft capital for someone on the wrong side of 30. If they were a WR away, sure, but they aren’t.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ok, but target somebody younger than Hopkins.
Sure, but who? And what are the Bears willing to give up? The younger the player the more draft capital it'll take.

Someone floated out there swapping picks with a team in the first and asking for their WR1 in return of draft picks. Would be an interesting scenario. DJ Moore could be a target as that team is tearing down.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Hopkins probably has a good season or 2 in him, but he's been injured a lot lately. Still a good player, but he's like Allen Robinson, struggling to get separation. Personally, if they find a way to get JSN I'd be ecstatic, and Fields probably would be as well.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I doubt they are going to make any big moves at WR in FA or trade. They probably need to pay both Mooney and Claypool next summer, and while neither is going to break $20m both are going to cost a lot.

It doesn't make sense to trade draft capital for another guy they have to pay a ton too. I'd guess they target a WR in the top 75 picks, probably one this year and one next.