DeAndre Hopkins

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd offer a 4th. I'd still draft a WR in Round 1 or 2.

Draft Pick
Mooney
Claypool
Hopkins

Now, that's a WR room I can get behind!

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
You keep suggesting Khalil Herbert as if he had any trade value. News flash: he doesn’t.
I’m not sure about that.

I’m just looking at like if it came down to having to throw something into a trade, I’d rather keep a draft pick. This is a VERY good draft for RB. It may be the best RB draft this decade. It’s crazy how good they are. There are a lot of good DBs, RBs, and some high level athletic big dudes that can play along the DL, maybe even a pass rushing Bgapper can be had later.

So, in terms of trade value that we have, Khalil Herbert is the best throw in we have. I get it. People like him. Fine. He has the stars to look good, and we have the salary to take on a Keenan Allen or Hopkins.

Who are the dudes we can throw in who won’t really affect our team? Yeah. The only dude on that list is Herbert. If it came down to even one of our 7th round picks or Herbert, “boy, bye!”.

So, it’s not that Herbert has value in and of himself, but that the throw in pick to pick up a salary is worth more to us than he is.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hell I’d be happy with top 27 which would be close to where he was the first two seasons.
I'll be happy with top 27 for what was given. This is not a deep WR draft and we needed one. I also wish we could have got him for less but I didn't want him in GB either. Draft pick could also be a complete fail.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
I think I'd rather have five or six mid-range free agents than one big splashy signing - This roster has lots of holes.

I also think I'd pass on anyone north of thirty unless they came dirt cheap.

D-Hop is not coming dirt cheap.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't think Hopkins is going anywhere but if he was, he'd be a great addition for a club that feels it needs that final piece to make a run at the title. That's not us.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
I’m not sure about that.

I’m just looking at like if it came down to having to throw something into a trade, I’d rather keep a draft pick. This is a VERY good draft for RB. It may be the best RB draft this decade. It’s crazy how good they are. There are a lot of good DBs, RBs, and some high level athletic big dudes that can play along the DL, maybe even a pass rushing Bgapper can be had later.

So, in terms of trade value that we have, Khalil Herbert is the best throw in we have. I get it. People like him. Fine. He has the stars to look good, and we have the salary to take on a Keenan Allen or Hopkins.

Who are the dudes we can throw in who won’t really affect our team? Yeah. The only dude on that list is Herbert. If it came down to even one of our 7th round picks or Herbert, “boy, bye!”.

So, it’s not that Herbert has value in and of himself, but that the throw in pick to pick up a salary is worth more to us than he is.
Is anyone pounding the table to keep Khalil Herbert? He’s just an average RB that has little to no trade value.

I’m not following your logic from the other teams POV. If it’s one of the best RB draft classes, why would said team trade for a RB when they can just draft one.

In what dream world can a team go through their roster and choose a player that will have the least impact off the team and pretend like that’s a trade asset?

Yes - they will be shedding big salary, but a team is going to offer draft capital. That’s the cost. If you don’t feel comfortable trading a draft pick to give Fields a proven weapon, then that’s your answer. Herbert isn’t getting a deal done lol.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Is anyone pounding the table to keep Khalil Herbert? He’s just an average RB that has little to no trade value.

I’m not following your logic from the other teams POV. If it’s one of the best RB draft classes, why would said team trade for a RB when they can just draft one.

In what dream world can a team go through their roster and choose a player that will have the least impact off the team and pretend like that’s a trade asset?

Yes - they will be shedding big salary, but a team is going to offer draft capital. That’s the cost. If you don’t feel comfortable trading a draft pick to give Fields a proven weapon, then that’s your answer. Herbert isn’t getting a deal done lol.
The cost of a draft asset, in this draft? Fuck that. The number of teams that can eat a 20 million contract? That’s the real value. So, either throw in a shit pick for next year or RB that, on the surface, looks very good with over 6 yards a carry. The LAC are over 13 million in the hole! Taking 20 million off their hands is a great idea. That is the real value of the trade, the salary dump.

If they want something back, give them a shit ass player or a bag of dicks. I don’t fucking care. Picks, nah, we need them. We have cash that they need. Price is price.

Last edited:

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
The cost of a draft asset, in this draft? Fuck that. The number of teams that can eat a 20 million contract? That’s the real value. So, either throw in a shit pick for next year or RB that, on the surface, looks very good with over 6 yards a carry. The LAC are over 13 million in the hole! Taking 20 million off their hands is a great idea. That is the real value of the trade, the salary dump.

If they want something back, give them a shit ass player or a bag of dicks. I don’t fucking care. Picks, nah, we need them. We have cash that they need. Price is price.
Yeah. I’m not arguing whether or not I would make the trade. If all it cost was Herbert, I’d make that trade any day of the week. Just not sold that’s a good enough return for Arizona (Hopkins) or LA (Allen).

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Yeah. I’m not arguing whether or not I would make the trade. If all it cost was Herbert, I’d make that trade any day of the week. Just not sold that’s a good enough return for Arizona (Hopkins) or LA (Allen).
The economic reality of being 13 million above the cap, amirite? Signing a top veteran receiver in Josh Allen’s second year was crucial. 85% or more of Keenan Allen is better than any shit we have at WR.

The dude went for like 12/14 last week! All he did was get open, catch the ball, and move the chains. We don’t have that dude. If we did, Fields would feast. Claypool and Mooney could fly with single coverageZ it would be sick if we had a slot receiver of Keenan Allen’s caliber.

Poles’d have to really play hardball, but 20 mil plus in cap space isn’t exactly a readily available commodity. He could play the “it’d be a shame what would happen to your salary cap. I’ve got a running back and a big stack of cash.”
“We want a draft pick.”
“That’s nice. We all want things. I’ll talk to you later…”
“No wait, a 6th, we’ll take a…”
“Yeah, I think I’ll just take my big pile of cash and …”
“How good is the running back.”
“He’s fast. He can get yards.”
“Fuck you.”
“Thank you for Keenan Allen. Do you want the complimentary big bag of dicks?”

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The economic reality of being 13 million above the cap, amirite? Signing a top veteran receiver in Josh Allen’s second year was crucial. 85% or more of Keenan Allen is better than any shit we have at WR.

The dude went for like 12/14 last week! All he did was get open, catch the ball, and move the chains. We don’t have that dude. If we did, Fields would feast. Claypool and Mooney could fly with single coverageZ it would be sick if we had a slot receiver of Keenan Allen’s caliber.

Poles’d have to really play hardball, but 20 mil plus in cap space isn’t exactly a readily available commodity. He could play the “it’d be a shame what would happen to your salary cap. I’ve got a running back and a big stack of cash.”
“We want a draft pick.”
“Fuck you.”

What da fuk?

gobullschi

Liked Posts:

“We want a draft pick.”
“Fuck you.”
I don’t know what the Charger’s cap situation looks like, but teams can usually restructure contracts to get space. Can you give me an example of a team that dumped a high level WR for cash?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If the deal was similar to the Amari Cooper trade this year (a 5th round pick), I'd be all over it. I'm not giving up anything meaningful for a 31 year old WR on the decline. That said, I think he's got at least another year of high caliber play in him, and if you can get him for cheap, he'd be a perfect fit. I think Fields could really use an established vet to throw to.
Yep. Maybe a later pick as a bridge receiver at best.

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
I love Hopkins but he'll be 31 entering next season. He routinely made absurd catches every week I watched him play with the Texans. Unfortunately, I don't think he fits the Bears timeline given all the other needs this team has and how far away the team is from true contention. If he were younger than 28 entering next season, maybe I'd take the gamble. Unless the Cards were giving him away for a late round pick, I'd pass. This team needs a #1 WR closer in age to Fields than someone closer to the end of their career imo.
Actually I think a veteran like Hopkins would be ideal. By the time we have to pay Fields, we can draft that replacement WR1 and lose the huge salary of Hopkins or whatever older receiver we trade for.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought about this last night. They clearly need a rebuild and to gut the coaching staff. They are just not a good football team; the 2021 Cards are now the 2022 Vikings
They just extended the whole staff incl GM

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I don’t know what the Charger’s cap situation looks like, but teams can usually restructure contracts to get space. Can you give me an example of a team that dumped a high level WR for cash?
You’re right. It is rare. But it has happened. So roll them bones.

So, though there is usually a pick involved, I’d like to see if we can do a player swap and a cash dump.

Worst case scenario is a conditional 2024 pick, something like the Ridley trade where it starts at like a 7th or something and, due to a shit ton of conditions, ultimately ends up a 2 if a LTD is signed.

It’d be worth it for Keenan Allen.