Debunking Meatball Myths: "The Bears are a Cold Weather Team"

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
@Novak was able to debunk the cold weather myth using statistics and logic, I don't think those will work for announcers.

This may require a poll.

Quick question, do some people think the Bears radio team is the best in the NFL? They don't bother me one bit, but I've only heard snippets of other teams radio crew's during highlights of big plays, they all pretty much go ape shit. Based on that small sample size, I would guess they are all pretty much the same, total homerism, lots of screaming.

This isn't really related, but they had Tom Thayer sub in for the Mully/Haugh show one day this week. Thayer was incredibly terrible and replaced by some Cubs girl reporter by Tuesday...but he did say something interesting when shooting the breeze with Haugh. He was asked about working with Joniak and what their typical game day routine is in the booth, and Thayer said that he doesn't see Joniak at all until a couple minutes before kickoff. Thought that was strange.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This isn't really related, but they had Tom Thayer sub in for the Mully/Haugh show one day this week. Thayer was incredibly terrible and replaced by some Cubs girl reporter by Tuesday...but he did say something interesting when shooting the breeze with Haugh. He was asked about working with Joniak and what their typical game day routine is in the booth, and Thayer said that he doesn't see Joniak at all until a couple minutes before kickoff. Thought that was strange.
That's because Joniak can't call a game without going off alone and getting shitfaced first.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

They do a few live look in's on the field for the local Fox pregame. I could see not wanting to hang with Joniak, Thayer is a cool guy, broadcasting ability aside, by all accounts he's a good guy to hang with. His communication skills are dicey at best, but his knowledge of the game and likeability make him a good color man. Radio show host is a completely different animal, I would have guessed that not going well.