Defend your draft strategy

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
It's clear some want defense, some want offense.
Defend yourself.

I want offense 1st. Our offense is clearly the worst of the two and we have a developing QB who doesn't need to be left hanging for years.
We have a top 10 defense. We have a bottom 3 offense.

After looking at our ratings I'm leaning toward first 3-4 picks go all offense instead of just the first 2.

Yeah rah blah blah, Bears football. I like defense too. We got one and you don't go anywhere in today's NFL without an offense.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
if we were picking later in the first, I'd want offense. I just think at the spot we're picking in the 1st, you go with talent that's hard to acquire. In this case, it's a pass rusher. Also, even though our defense is top 10, they could be much better if they stayed healthy. We have no linebackers who can finish the whole season.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
if we were picking later in the first, I'd want offense. I just think at the spot we're picking in the 1st, you go with talent that's hard to acquire. In this case, it's a pass rusher. Also, even though our defense is top 10, they could be much better if they stayed healthy. We have no linebackers who can finish the whole season.

I started out BPA with a dose of need OL, WR, DL. But after seeing how the team ranks I've changed for now. Even with a rookie excuse our offense is bad.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
BPA if that guy is well above the next rated player, unless it is a QB.

I am going with OL or pass rusher. Two things you can never have enough of.......

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Fill needs in free agency and take bpa regardless of position. That’s the key to long term success.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I’m hoping for a trade down to the mid teens, pick up an extra 2nd, or a couple 3rds and still get one of the top 2 wr.

Of course if a blue chip pass rusher is on the board at 8 then just take him. Yes you need offense, but you can never have enough pass rushers.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Same here but if a can't miss LT drops to you, it's better than forcing something else. I'm fine with Leno but an anchor LT is a great thing.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
On offense, Barkley is a top 3 selection and nelson should be a top 10 pick but with all the holes the bears have can you really draft a guard at 8? There is noone else close to worth drafting on offense in the top 10 who is not a qb.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
We have 0 WRs that are capable of commanding attention from opposing defenses. Without a threatening WR, we will continue to face stacked boxes, and our OL will continue to have to block for too long, and our offense will never take it to the next level. Even if we bring in one or two FA WRs to handle starting roles, it is prudent to draft a young guy that we can envision being a contributing member of the offense for 8-10 years.

Other than WR, lets draft a pass rusher, some depth for OL, and maybe a CB.

Reactions: Myk

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hate taking WRs that early. High meh factor and usually take a while to be all they can be. It's a new O emphasized NFL where RBs and WRs are getting paid but they are both positions where draft position has less to do with production than other spots like pass rusher QB and LT. Those are the positions I emphasize followed by special guys on the DL or backer. Shut down CB is also viable here as the top guys have traits you can't teach or cover for. Obviously, if you're sure there is a difference maker one off at some other spot, it's OK but it's better to play the odds with likely success at positions that make a difference when you roll the dice.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
On offense, Barkley is a top 3 selection and nelson should be a top 10 pick but with all the holes the bears have can you really draft a guard at 8? There is noone else close to worth drafting on offense in the top 10 who is not a qb.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't call drafting Nelson at 8 just a guard. He's a game changer, franchise level talent.

Last time the Bears were kind of in this position, it was McClellin over DeCastro. Argument was do you really pick a guard in the 1st round?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want more time to evaluate. Mock drafts now are silly.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Of course BPA and yes the bears need help at OLB but I’m totally off the pass rusher train (unless of course BPA).

Did anyone see the rams/falcons game? Aaron Donald is unblockable, yet if you don’t hold on to the ball too long his impact is nearly negated. Quick pass plays seriously negated his impact and imo he is DPOY. How about Vic Beasley? Did he even make a single impact play?

As of recent memory we think of von Miller and his impact in the super bowl but we haven’t heard much from him, and the secondary in Denver is also incredible.

If we go defense with pick 1 I’m hoping for a shut down corner to play across from fuller and really solidly this secondary. I don’t want to see this defense play great only to have that blown by a huge pass play or PI against a guy like Cooper.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
We have 0 WRs that are capable of commanding attention from opposing defenses. Without a threatening WR, we will continue to face stacked boxes, and our OL will continue to have to block for too long, and our offense will never take it to the next level. Even if we bring in one or two FA WRs to handle starting roles, it is prudent to draft a young guy that we can envision being a contributing member of the offense for 8-10 years.

Other than WR, lets draft a pass rusher, some depth for OL, and maybe a CB.

Bears literally have zero guards on the roster as it is. Fats Sitton is likely to be cut, and Long is going to be coming off a multitude of injuries and surgeries and who knows how ready to go he will be next season if at all. Kush is coming off an ACL tear, Morgan was red-shirted and played against Division II level competition, etc.

The only stability the Bears have on the OL is LT and RT with Leno and Massie. Whitehair is being wasted at center when he should be the Bears RT.

The right play is to draft Nelson at 8, and plug him in next to Leno. Draft a center in the 3rd round or use the money freed up by cutting Sitton and Massie (since Whitehair is moving to RT) to invest in a good center in FA.

Leno-Nelson-Rookie C or FA-Long-Whitehair

Depth: Morgan, Kush, Grasu, etc.

Hopefully the new coaching staff realizes that the OL needs a complete overhaul.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't call drafting Nelson at 8 just a guard. He's a game changer, franchise level talent.

Last time the Bears were kind of in this position, it was McClellin over DeCastro. Argument was do you really pick a guard in the 1st round?

The argument was to take him in the top 10.

this isnt even close to a mcclellin over decastro pick, emery fucked it up big time...had he taken jones would you have posted a jones over decastro message?

If nelson ends up being the bpa when the bears pick at 8 so be it however if a prospect like chubb or fitzpatrick is there either of them would be the pick over nelson...

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I want more time to evaluate. Mock drafts now are silly.

Strategy is not really a mock. I see some wanting defense. I want to understand why when our D is top 10 as it is.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I hate taking WRs that early. High meh factor and usually take a while to be all they can be. It's a new O emphasized NFL where RBs and WRs are getting paid but they are both positions where draft position has less to do with production than other spots like pass rusher QB and LT. Those are the positions I emphasize followed by special guys on the DL or backer. Shut down CB is also viable here as the top guys have traits you can't teach or cover for. Obviously, if you're sure there is a difference maker one off at some other spot, it's OK but it's better to play the odds with likely success at positions that make a difference when you roll the dice.

I understand the diva issues and costs not meshing with Bears' history but if you look at the great WRs many of them were taken high.
I think if we're going to have an offensive powerhouse that is going to have to change.

I also understand taking that star player no matter what position they are, but I doubt any are there at 8 unless we get lucky with QB demand.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Calling the Bears offense bottom 3 is a joke. It's how you can tell who really knows football. Fox's game plan was based on def and not turning the ball over, and slowly growing a rookie QB. With a healthy team and Trubs with a year under his belt this offense is middle of the road. It's not as bad as Fox made it look. Sure we need help but were not bottom 3 talent wise. Our run game alone puts us above that.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Calling the Bears offense bottom 3 is a joke. It's how you can tell who really knows football. Fox's game plan was based on def and not turning the ball over, and slowly growing a rookie QB. With a healthy team and Trubs with a year under his belt this offense is middle of the road. It's not as bad as Fox made it look. Sure we need help but were not bottom 3 talent wise. Our run game alone puts us above that.

Separated the run offense was up there.
That's just how we rate this year without any excuses. We also had our best WRs out and it took a while to get Wright and Inman going.