Defensive tackles that could be traded

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Option 1: Leonard Williams

Leonard Williams is entering the final year of a three-year, $63 million contract signed in 2021. The lucrative deal made Williams one of the highest-paid defensive players in the NFL with an average annual salary of $21 million. But as the Giants ran into salary cap problems over the past couple of years, they needed to restructure the contract to clear space and keep Williams for the future. Subsequently, Williams’s 2023 cap hit has ballooned to over $32 million and he also has a 2024 void year on his contract with a cap hit of $5.96 million. The Giants, in need of salary cap space so they can extend the likes of Daniel Jones and Saquon Barkley, need to decide what they will do with Williams’s contract to lower his cap hit.

Option 2: DeForest Buckner

Colts may shop Buckner as they go another year without a QB and look to rebuild.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Buckner would be a very nice addition if the Bears could trade for him, but I don’t understand why everyone thinks the Colts will trade him.

They are going to draft a quarterback, most likely at number three after trading up. Why then does that mean they need to get rid of Buckner?

I have a GM who’s most likely on the hot seat at this point. I don’t think he’s one to be building for the future. His job security depends on next year‘s performance.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Buckner would be a very nice addition if the Bears could trade for him, but I don’t understand why everyone thinks the Colts will trade him.

They are going to draft a quarterback, most likely at number three after trading up. Why then does that mean they need to get rid of Buckner?

I have a GM who’s most likely on the hot seat at this point. I don’t think he’s one to be building for the future. His job security depends on next year‘s performance.

Here's the thing - when a GM is in that hot water AND is in a position of drafting a QB, you aren't going to be able to sell wins to an owner, because you likely aren't going to get them.

You got one real shot, and that's to completely sell out for "hope" - pray you get the QB right and load up on that side of the ball, and hope there are enough signs of the arrow pointing up to keep your job.

Every GM that has been in the position Ballard is who hedged their bets ends up fired. If you're likely on your way out, commit to the total reset, because if it works and you get fired anyway, you have something on tape for other teams to consider if you want to try for a GM spot again.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well that seems to just be saying to make another bad decision on your way out the door.

You say every GM who has not loaded up on the offensive side of the ball after drafting a quarterback has been fired? That’s interesting I’d like to see that list.

Believe me I do think there is something to Buckner becoming available and I’d like to have him at the right price which I don’t think will be terribly high.

But it just seems like getting rid of quality players for so-so draft picks is not going to help rebuild.

Are you saying he’s going to go into the full reset the way the Bears did with a first year GM? It’s easy to sell a full rebuild if you are taking over and essentially laying the blame on your predecessor.

But Ballard trying to sell a full reset would be placing the blame on himself. They just tried three straight years of veteran quarterbacks trying to sell that they were a QB away from contention and now they are going to go full reset? That may be the thing they should do but it’s not gonna keep him employed.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Here's the thing - when a GM is in that hot water AND is in a position of drafting a QB, you aren't going to be able to sell wins to an owner, because you likely aren't going to get them.

You got one real shot, and that's to completely sell out for "hope" - pray you get the QB right and load up on that side of the ball, and hope there are enough signs of the arrow pointing up to keep your job.

Every GM that has been in the position Ballard is who hedged their bets ends up fired. If you're likely on your way out, commit to the total reset, because if it works and you get fired anyway, you have something on tape for other teams to consider if you want to try for a GM spot again.

Agree and with the QB class looking much stronger next year with Caleb Williams at the helm. You go all damn out for that kid he's a sure as a prospect as Andrew Luck was.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Well that seems to just be saying to make another bad decision on your way out the door.

You say every GM who has not loaded up on the offensive side of the ball after drafting a quarterback has been fired? That’s interesting I’d like to see that list.

Believe me I do think there is something to Buckner becoming available and I’d like to have him at the right price which I don’t think will be terribly high.

But it just seems like getting rid of quality players for so-so draft picks is not going to help rebuild.

Are you saying he’s going to go into the full reset the way the Bears did with a first year GM? It’s easy to sell a full rebuild if you are taking over and essentially laying the blame on your predecessor.

But Ballard trying to sell a full reset would be placing the blame on himself. They just tried three straight years of veteran quarterbacks trying to sell that they were a QB away from contention and now they are going to go full reset? That may be the thing they should do but it’s not gonna keep him employed.

Blame on himself? I don't know if that's the right way to look at it. You have to either fully tank or be a really bad football team which the Colts aren't.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
There are too many dt/ de in this draft to trade anything significant for them and hand out a new contract. Eberflus should be able to develop some talent or else why was he hired

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There are too many dt/ de in this draft to trade anything significant for them and hand out a new contract. Eberflus should be able to develop some talent or else why was he hired

Who's a good 3 tech behind Jalen Carter? The DE position looks stacked but DT looks bleak.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Who's a good 3 tech behind Jalen Carter? The DE position looks stacked but DT looks bleak.
People like van ness and bressee but I think they will be straight up future bums. Watch some of kancey bet lovie rubs it out to his tape. I think he would be really good in a rotation with wright. As for de outside of Anderson I don’t have that it factor guy.

Grendel2000

Liked Posts:
I guess I've been naïve, but I never really considered until this year how teams can trade away players for picks as a way of deferring "value" into the future. I guess I'd always been of the mind that every team should always try to be the best they can be EVERY YEAR. I've begun to believe that's a bad plan. With the cap, it seems like operating that way can only lead to a state of perpetual mediocrity. Perhaps it really does make sense to strategically deal away players of value in exchange for future picks when one realizes the team has no hope of competing at the highest level in the short term. The downside is that doing so always involves trading something of actual value (nobody wants to trade for your bad players - only the good ones) for an opportunity to find value in the future - but not a certainty. There's just no such thing as a "sure thing" in the draft, although I suppose a team could make an equal but opposite trade for an established player in the future and remain "resource neutral" overall...

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Bryan Bresee, is a stud if he can stay healthy; personally, I like Keion White making the move to a 3 tech, Calijah Kancey, Adetomiwa Adebawore, and Keeanu Benton are probably my top 5 and will all go in the first 2 rounds

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Bryan Bresee, is a stud if he can stay healthy; personally, I like Keion White making the move to a 3 tech, Calijah Kancey, Adetomiwa Adebawore, and Keeanu Benton are probably my top 5 and will all go in the first 2 rounds
I think you would also have to consider Tuli Tuipulotu of USC to that mix. At 6-4 290 he has the size and is extremely quick, also had 13 sacks last year.

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
I think you would also have to consider Tuli Tuipulotu of USC to that mix. At 6-4 290 he has the size and is extremely quick, also had 13 sacks last year.

He also played inside earlier in his college career, so he's definitely an option. I'm curious to.see how the Bears handle the 3 technique situation. I still think they're considering Carter. He's the best defensive player in the draft at the most important position. Obviously the offer held stuff makes it unlikely, but it's also the reason he might be there at 9.

Kancey intrigues me, he seems to be an ideal fit with his burst and motor but he is no Aaron Donald. Donald is freakishly strong, Kancey is stronger than his size suggests but I have a hard time believing he won't be a liability against the run, especially early on in his career.

Adebawore might have the most upside at 3tech, but he seems like a guy who is going to take some time to.develop.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:

I think Buckner may be available because they realize they have holes all over the place rookie QB or not.