DePaul

Orestes

Liked Posts:
First Big East win for the Blue Demons over Seton Hall 96-92 (#20 Seton Hall as Zach Zaidman kept saying). They almost blew an 18 point lead after injury to Javon Freeman-Liberty and many missed FTs down the stretch. Many miles to go to get to The Dance, but first year coach Tony Stubblefield has them playing hard and Wintrust Arena is a gem, worth a visit. The Loyola match there last month was electric.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Big W- hopefully it's a sign of things to come with this HC and team.

Orestes

Liked Posts:
Tough loss to #20 Xavier after DePaul -- playing without Javon Freeman-Liberty, a late scratch -- lead most of the game. Blue Demons' 1-6 conference record belies improvement they have shown this year. Freeman-Liberty is a senior but sophomore David Jones -- 26 points vs. Xavier -- should continue to progress.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
First Big East win for the Blue Demons over Seton Hall 96-92 (#20 Seton Hall as Zach Zaidman kept saying). They almost blew an 18 point lead after injury to Javon Freeman-Liberty and many missed FTs down the stretch. Many miles to go to get to The Dance, but first year coach Tony Stubblefield has them playing hard and Wintrust Arena is a gem, worth a visit. The Loyola match there last month was electric.

Every time I watch DePaul this season I wish Romeo Weems and Charlie Moore hadn't left. Those 2 combined with Freeman-Liberty and Jones would have made the best DePaul squad in years. It's also really disappointing we won't see 4 star Freshman recruit Ahamad Bynum play a single minute this season. I hope he doesn't transfer.

Tony Stubblefield has the team playing hard (last night's loss was crushing tho). But this program will never be anything but a Big East bottom feeder if the recruiting doesn't improve. Dave Laitao is not a great coach by any means but he was a decent recruiter. His 2022 recruiting class was the best in years prior to being fired. Stubblefield appears to be a better coach but has so far done nothing in terms of recruiting high school talent. Correct me if I'm wrong but so far his only commitments are transfers. Yes, it's still very early in his tenure and signing day isn't until the Spring but you'd like there to be more verbal commitments by now.

Orestes

Liked Posts:
Every time I watch DePaul this season I wish Romeo Weems and Charlie Moore hadn't left. Those 2 combined with Freeman-Liberty and Jones would have made the best DePaul squad in years. It's also really disappointing we won't see 4 star Freshman recruit Ahamad Bynum play a single minute this season. I hope he doesn't transfer.

Tony Stubblefield has the team playing hard (last night's loss was crushing tho). But this program will never be anything but a Big East bottom feeder if the recruiting doesn't improve. Dave Laitao is not a great coach by any means but he was a decent recruiter. His 2022 recruiting class was the best in years prior to being fired. Stubblefield appears to be a better coach but has so far done nothing in terms of recruiting high school talent. Correct me if I'm wrong but so far his only commitments are transfers. Yes, it's still very early in his tenure and signing day isn't until the Spring but you'd like there to be more verbal commitments by now.
Yeah, I don't know how the transfer protocol works, what restrictions are in place. For sure, it's all about the recruiting, like what Brad Underwood -- not renowned as a great bench coach -- has done with Illini. Clock is already ticking for Coach Stubblefield -- as it should be in this market and in a power conference -- to build a program.

Orestes

Liked Posts:
Leading scorer Javon Freeman-Liberty missed his fifth straight game with groin injury but Blue Demons prevailed at #21 Xavier, 69-65, their second win over ranked opponent. Tough season has not been without bright spots. With a healthy Freeman-Liberty, DePaul could make some noise in the Big East tournament.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Soul crushing loss by DePaul tonight against #11 Providence. DePaul led by 15 points at one point in the 2nd half and Providence didn't have a led until 45 seconds in the 2nd half (they won in OT). DePaul wins this game with better FT shooting (DePaul was 8-14 and Providence was 19-22) and more consistent PG play. I'm so fucking tired of blowing 2nd half leads.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Leading scorer Javon Freeman-Liberty missed his fifth straight game with groin injury but Blue Demons prevailed at #21 Xavier, 69-65, their second win over ranked opponent. Tough season has not been without bright spots. With a healthy Freeman-Liberty, DePaul could make some noise in the Big East tournament.

When the fuck is he coming back? He's been out for 7 games now.

Orestes

Liked Posts:
When the fuck is he coming back? He's been out for 7 games now.

WhenTF indeed. I would think Coach Stubblefield would give an update if anyone in media bothered asking. But seems that the only local college BB teams for which significant injury would be worth a mention are Illinois, Northwestern, and (maybe) Loyola.

Orestes

Liked Posts:
Soul crushing loss by DePaul tonight against #11 Providence. DePaul led by 15 points at one point in the 2nd half and Providence didn't have a led until 45 seconds in the 2nd half (they won in OT). DePaul wins this game with better FT shooting (DePaul was 8-14 and Providence was 19-22) and more consistent PG play. I'm so fucking tired of blowing 2nd half leads.
That FT shooting failure rate is simply not acceptable. I put that on the coaching. I wonder how may of those six misses were in regulation.

Orestes

Liked Posts:
That FT shooting failure rate is simply not acceptable. I put that on the coaching. I wonder how may of those six misses were in regulation.
According to game play-by-play log, 4/5 in OT and 4/9 in regulation☹️

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
WhenTF indeed. I would think Coach Stubblefield would give an update if anyone in media bothered asking. But seems that the only local college BB teams for which significant injury would be worth a mention are Illinois, Northwestern, and (maybe) Loyola.

That's a good point. There is no info out there about the injury. I guess no one cares to ask.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
According to game play-by-play log, 4/5 in OT and 4/9 in regulation☹️

Yup, I watched the whole game. It was infruitating. The coach has to take some responsibility for that.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Another painful loss and blown 2nd half lead for DePaul. I'm done wasting my time with this program until they give me a reason to watch.

Orestes

Liked Posts:
Another painful loss and blown 2nd half lead for DePaul. I'm done wasting my time with this program until they give me a reason to watch.
I'll hang in there for a bit. Freeman-Liberty (he's back!) had 18 points and 13 rebs in Creighton loss but shot only 5-26 from the field. Despite three games this week, I hope for a good effort at Seton Hall on Saturday night.

DePaul is shooting a not-respectable 69% free throw percentage this season, but less than 65% in last three games (all Ls). For the season, their opponents are shooting 76%. On the plus side, Demons are with 90 more FT attempts than opponents (482-392); they're doing something right. Of course, this includes the overall weaker, non-conference matchups, and Big East stats matter the most.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I'll hang in there for a bit. Freeman-Liberty (he's back!) had 18 points and 13 rebs in Creighton loss but shot only 5-26 from the field. Despite three games this week, I hope for a good effort at Seton Hall on Saturday night.

DePaul is shooting a not-respectable 69% free throw percentage this season, but less than 65% in last three games (all Ls). For the season, their opponents are shooting 76%. On the plus side, Demons are with 90 more FT attempts than opponents (482-392); they're doing something right. Of course, this includes the overall weaker, non-conference matchups, and Big East stats matter the most.

The FT shooting has to get better. You can't beat more talented teams shooting like that.

It's obvious that Stubblefield is a better X and O coach than Leitao. But he has done nothing on the recruiting trial. There are currently no commitments from any freshman (only transfers) for next season. If David Jones declares for the NBA or transfers, this might be a winless program in the Big East next year. I'm sorry to be so negative but this program is not doing much to invoke optimism.

Orestes

Liked Posts:
The FT shooting has to get better. You can't beat more talented teams shooting like that.

It's obvious that Stubblefield is a better X and O coach than Leitao. But he has done nothing on the recruiting trial. There are currently no commitments from any freshman (only transfers) for next season. If David Jones declares for the NBA or transfers, this might be a winless program in the Big East next year. I'm sorry to be so negative but this program is not doing much to invoke optimism.
Maybe they can rehire Jerry Wainwright, he could go winless in the Big East for a lot less salary than Stubblefield. But seriously, there's just no pressure for college programs to succeed in this town, media covers them like they do the White Sox; if the bar were any lower... But, to be fair, it's the fans, not the media that make it a Bears/Cubs/Bulls town. To your point, yeah, what is Stubblefield's plan to establish a recruiting pipeline or land a local star like Illinois did with Ayo Dosunmu? With fan indifference and little publicity and mainstream media coverage, it's gonna be tough. What Loyola has accomplished is amazing. And as nice as it is, Wintrust Arena may be a liability. The neighborhood surrounding Loyola is no Lincoln Park, but Gentile Arena is right on campus and has great atmosphere. With Wintrust set up 7 miles from DePaul campus, it's just a dressed up Allstate Arena. Advantage, Loyola.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Maybe they can rehire Jerry Wainwright, he could go winless in the Big East for a lot less salary than Stubblefield. But seriously, there's just no pressure for college programs to succeed in this town, media covers them like they do the White Sox; if the bar were any lower... But, to be fair, it's the fans, not the media that make it a Bears/Cubs/Bulls town. To your point, yeah, what is Stubblefield's plan to establish a recruiting pipeline or land a local star like Illinois did with Ayo Dosunmu? With fan indifference and little publicity and mainstream media coverage, it's gonna be tough. What Loyola has accomplished is amazing. And as nice as it is, Wintrust Arena may be a liability. The neighborhood surrounding Loyola is no Lincoln Park, but Gentile Arena is right on campus and has great atmosphere. With Wintrust set up 7 miles from DePaul campus, it's just a dressed up Allstate Arena. Advantage, Loyola.

Well said. I especially agree with your take on Loyola having a big advantage because the Gentile Arena is on campus (although I suspect with Porter Moser that program is going to take a major hit coming forward) and has a great atmosphere. It's a shame DePaul couldn't find a way to build a campus arena prior to the contraction of the Wintrust.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Once again the Blue Demons couldn't close a game. Lost by 2 to Seton Hall. Freeman-Librarty missed a shot at the buzzard. I don't like to blame officiating but the refs were garbage tonight. They blatantly favored Seton Hall in the last 5 minutes. Several phantom calls that put Seton Hall on the FT line.

Orestes

Liked Posts:
Once again the Blue Demons couldn't close a game. Lost by 2 to Seton Hall. Freeman-Librarty missed a shot at the buzzard. I don't like to blame officiating but the refs were garbage tonight. They blatantly favored Seton Hall in the last 5 minutes. Several phantom calls that put Seton Hall on the FT line.
So many tough losses in Big East play, 6 by 5 points or less. They must go 3-1 in last four to finish regular season play at 14-14. At Georgetown and UConn and hosting Marquette and St. John's. Georgetown might see it as chance to not go o-fer Big East. There should be some energy for Marquette rivalry game. St. John's might be a win.