Derrick Rose MVP column

Kush77

Liked Posts:
Well, here's my take on Rose for MVP. Hopefully I'll sway Frank Styleham back to the correct side of things :woot:
I wrote it a few days ago, thanks for taking a look.

Rose is the clear choice for MVP - Herald News

I'm gonna start posting more on the forums. I've just been busy with stuff. I'll get Fred and Mark back on here more too.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
You should see the stuff on twitter concerning this subject...oh boy...

My thing is don't use stats in the argument and you are fine...MVP is not just about stats, and people have to calibrate their debating points accordingly...

Good seeing you on here Blackistone...I mean Kush....

Kush77

Liked Posts:
You should see the stuff on twitter concerning this subject...oh boy...

My thing is don't use stats in the argument and you are fine...MVP is not just about stats, and people have to calibrate their debating points accordingly...

Good seeing you on here Blackistone...I mean Kush....

LOL, Blackistone. I just need to get a pair of glasses.

I agree that it isn't just about the stats. But if someone wants to go that route, I can still make an argument for Rose. But we know it's a combination of several factors. Some don't.

The MVP is a strange award. Think about this, Steve Nash has just as many MVPs as Shaq and Kobe combined. Hmmmmm.

But it's like we talked about on "The Barbershop" Which is on Itunes - if MVP just went to the best player, MJ would have 8, maybe 9 MVPs and LeBron would be the MVP for the next 4-5 years.

The NHL voters got it right back in the day, Wayne Gretzky was the best and he won the award 8 straight years. Until Mario Lemieux got to that level and broke up his streak.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Good article. I enjoyed the read.

Try arguing with LeBron fans, Miami fans, or Orlando fans on the MVP debate. It gets you no where. At least Kobe fans can concede and admit it's Rose.

Liked Posts:
I'll give it an objective look.

A little later.

Later tonight. Have a speaking engagement in less than an hour and a half I need to go do first.

Well, here's my take on Rose for MVP. Hopefully I'll sway Frank Styleham back to the correct side of things :woot:
I wrote it a few days ago, thanks for taking a look.

Rose is the clear choice for MVP - Herald News

I'm gonna start posting more on the forums. I've just been busy with stuff. I'll get Fred and Mark back on here more too.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good article. I enjoyed the read.

Try arguing with LeBron fans, Miami fans, or Orlando fans on the MVP debate. It gets you no where. At least Kobe fans can concede and admit it's Rose.

One of my friends is a Magic fan and he even thinks that Rose is the MVP. But he loves pointing out to me that I predicted Howard would win it.

My other Magic fan friend says Dwight Howard and there is no other choice.

Liked Posts:
Yes sir. My job necessitates some public speaking every now and then. Was giving a presentation to a college group.

You write for Sun Times!? When did that happen? I might just start taking the paper again.

A speaking engagement huh? :bowrofl:
Let me know how it goes Frank.

Liked Posts:
1. I agree Rose is "one" of the best players in the game today...but THE best...? I'm not certain he's in the top 5. He's definitely in the top 10 though.

2. I can't see any scenario where Dwight Howard gets the MVP. Of all the superstars in the league, none are as poorly treated by the officials as he is, an undeniable reason why the Magic are sitting in 4th.

3. Although there may be reasons his field goal percentage is lower than any MVP since Allen Iverson (and will be lower once this season is over), the fact remains his field goal percentage is far beyond, exceedingly lower than the Jordan's and the LeBron's and the Kobe's. LeBron and MJ were shooting well into the 50 percentile when they won their MVP's.

4. If Derrick Rose is the first Bull "since Michael Jordan" to shoot 50% from the field, average 32 points a game and lead his team to 62 or more wins, there will be no question in my mind he deserves the MVP.

5. Free throw shooting comes easier to the Roses and the Nashes than it does for the Shaqs and Chamberlains. Those guys were STILL winning championships and averaging boo-koo ppg, rpg and bpg though.

Rose has nice stats...but nothing like 28 ppg, 9 apg, 5 rpg, 2 spg, etc.

6. That IS a very good point, how well Rose has played against the Miami's and San Antonio's. When I was staring at those stats the other night on the monitor at the gym, there was no question in my mind.

This is a tough one for MVP this year...I can see the points on both sides.

This was a very well-written article. I'm thinking about what you wrote, and again, can see your arguments...

I think I need another week or so...let it marinate.

Thanks for sending this our way. Always a fan, Kush. I love your analysis and am glad you are writing. Your voice belongs in the public (unlike Lewenstein).

Last edited: