Did anyone else's Cook County property taxes just jump significantly?

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I live in the city of Chicago and my fucking property taxes just went up 50%. Growing up I was always told to buy instead of rent but now I'm seriously questioning that decision. It's no wonder why so many people are leaving this state.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Even the outer ring burb counties are getting expensive.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Even the outer ring burb counties are getting expensive.

Definitely. It's all insane. I know people in the burbs paying 20k a year. What do you consider the outer ring burbs?

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Definitely. It's all insane. I know people in the burbs paying 20k a year. What do you consider the outer ring burbs?

Basically everything before the corn takes over. So, Kane county, for example. I think they bumped something like 20% this year.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've heard it's much worse in the southern half of the Chicagoland area.

The city of Chicago at the end of 2017 had unfunded pensions to the tune of 28 billion$. The state of IL...

According to a new report by Moody's Investors Service,Illinois' unfunded pension liabilities equaled 601 percent of state revenues in 2017, a U.S. record. ... According to the report, Illinois' unfunded pension liabilities grew 25 percent in fiscal year 2017 to $250 billion. link

IL's unfunded pension debt grew 25% just last year, the whole unfunded pension issue is insanity and has been for years. It really comes across as criminal that the politicians have created this.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I've heard it's much worse in the southern half of the Chicagoland area.

The city of Chicago at the end of 2017 had unfunded pensions to the tune of 28 billion$. The state of IL...

According to a new report by Moody's Investors Service,Illinois' unfunded pension liabilities equaled 601 percent of state revenues in 2017, a U.S. record. ... According to the report, Illinois' unfunded pension liabilities grew 25 percent in fiscal year 2017 to $250 billion. link

IL's unfunded pension debt grew 25% just last year, the whole unfunded pension issue is insanity and has been for years. It really comes across as criminal that the politicians have created this.

We got to bail out Wall Street back in 2008-2009.

Now we get to bail out our own State govt.

Same type of people doing the same type of shit with no accountability for their actions.

Keep electing these Red/Blue fucktards, it will keep happening.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
50% is outrageous. Don't worry though, your employer will give you a nice 2% raise at the end of the year and consider it good.

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
50%??? WTF!!
Did they reassess you home recently?
I'm thinking they did and said your home is worth a lot more than before.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
its all part of the mass inflation of goods, taxes, and oppression that is somewhat necessary to be honest to get America into line , a little regression to the mean of the poverty of the world at large is necessary over time.

But the reason the "snowflakes" are near to war is because the cost of living, future jobs, etc..they see they have no future. Teasing them is not necessary, desperate people will fight eventually.

We need to do a better job as a nation to work together in a fair manner or it will continue to suck for the majority, and will create a world the elite are in danger in. They won't want what they are creating unless they do in fact exterminate the masses.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If you own/rent doesn't matter. If you pay rent in Illinois the landlord figures that in, so you'd be paying the taxes either way. The only way to escape Cook Co. taxes are to move.

Unfunded pension liability is an issue that was totally avoidable. We can all thank the dirtbag politicians that chose to borrow/steal and never pay back what they took out of those funds over the last 20-30 years. Along with not making the required state contributions, those 2 factors totally fucking ravaged a system built on compounding interest and contributions. I'm not a state or trs pension recipient in Illinois, but residents need to know who is really responsible for this mess. It isn't your neighbor in these retirement systems, so quit hating them and their greed. The real people to hate are the elected officials/politicians that voted to raid it and not pay into it. They should be held accountable, freeze their assets, liquidate them and put them in the pension funds. It won't fix the problem, but its a start to send a message to every politician not to screw around and play games with the state budget and tax dollars.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Ughh I complain about how bad the shit is here in New Mexico with our jacked up political situation, but we seem like small fries compared to the garbage that goes on up there.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Ughh I complain about how bad the shit is here in New Mexico with our jacked up political situation, but we seem like small fries compared to the garbage that goes on up there.

Yep. Terribly planned projects in N.Mexico is one thing wasting taxpayer dollars, but constant thievery and finessing budgets by politicians in Illinois, since the early 1900's is probably far worse. I kid on the early 1900's comment, but it's probably accurate. LOL

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
50%??? WTF!!
Did they reassess you home recently?
I'm thinking they did and said your home is worth a lot more than before.

Yes, I also just bought the place in April.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
When I look at the future, I'm sad for the generation growing up today. The cards are stacked against them and it's much harder now to have the American Dream than when I was growing up. College was affordable and I was able to pay my 4 year bill on my own. You can't do that now. In the 70s good jobs were plentiful and there was no threat of being outsourced. Cost of living and healthcare was manageable and predictable...not now. Add to that the cost of social programs and crazy ass pensions (does a cop really deserve $100K/yr pension?) Finally, the social service costs of illegals: $12K/year for education, free health care) I don't see a way for this country to get past all this

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Yep. Terribly planned projects in N.Mexico is one thing wasting taxpayer dollars, but constant thievery and finessing budgets by politicians in Illinois, since the early 1900's is probably far worse. I kid on the early 1900's comment, but it's probably accurate. LOL

at least we did finally get 75 million in federal money for the rapid transit system that is replacing a rapid transit system. That still isn't up and running a year after it was supposed to open and cost us in excess of 150 million. So good for us I suppose.

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
Yes, I also just bought the place in April.

So IMO then what probably happened is that the previous owner originally bought the place for much cheaper than you and was paying his taxes based on the price of the house that he paid for, then sold it to you at a higher price so your tax went up because tax = % of price of property.

Another way, I read, you can get screwed on property tax is when the government comes to reassess your home for no reason and say they believe your home is worth whatever $'s. Then they tax you according to that price. Usually the state will reassess the home shorty after a purchase, but if the home you just bought was assessed inside 3 years prior you can ask the state to delay the reassessment until the 3 years is up thus holding the property tax at it's current price until that 3 years is up. I believe the State has rights to reassess every 3 years. That's why some homes in the city have crazy high tax prices, and the owners can't sell their homes.

In short, just get the fuck out of IL ASAP.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Jooo get a tax lawyer. I’m in Michigan idk if it’s same process for you but let a tax lawyer look over what your paying and maybe they can do something for you

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I protested my property taxes a couple years ago and won, which surprised me. I had an appraisal done, got the papers from the county filled them out, pretty simple. The county valued my house a lot higher than my appraisal, which they didn't argue with at all.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
First, I appreciate everyone's advice. Second, it turns out my mortgage servicer had the wrong property PIN number on file! The PIN number belonged to a home out in the burbs. The good news is that my property taxes didn't go up 50% but the bad news is that I'm now 2 months late on the taxes and have a mess to short out. Crazy.