Did Nagy Lie?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still remember the ‘we have plays we wanted to run moment.’

It seems like Nagy focuses on running plays instead of trying to score.

I wonder if he is sneaking back in to play calling.

As long as the Bears keep moving the pocket and running the ball effectively I don’t care at this point

BrunoTheRed

Liked Posts:
Honestly, this is why I hate Nagy. He just can't leave success alone.

The first half of that game looked like they were playing the same offense that got them six straight losses.

Then coming out of the half they went back to what worked the past few games.

You can recognize it almost immediately - Nagy took over play calling for the first half and when that failed gave it up for the second half and the offense exploded.

Matinee is forky always trying to throw himself and his team in the trash.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I mean no one's really asked him yet LOL. Someone get on a reporter because that seems like such an obvious question to ask.

Our reporters are shit. The questions they ask are softballs like "How good did it feel to finally get going in the 3rd quarter after all your struggles this year?"

It's rarely anything football insightful

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If reporters want access they need to play ball with the team. There are no hard hitting, critical reporters with deep access to a team for long.

baredown

Liked Posts:
Nagy is the HC. He isn’t abdicating responsibility for the play calling. He’s just delegating it, while retaining his oversight role to suggest or overrule. No one should have an issue with that per se. But there’s a fine line between suggesting/overruling and just taking full control back. The 1st half felt like Nagy-ball again. JAX stuffed Montgomery a couple times early and the Bears went full aerial mode. That’s classic Nagy. I wouldn’t say the Bears made adjustments at half. I think it was more a case of common sense prevailing, and the Bears reverting to what they’ve been successful with over the past four weeks...

As for the Kmet jet sweep, that was pure stupidity. 1st & goal on the 1/2 yard line? Football 101 tells you not to run anything that risks losing yardage. QB goes under center and either sneaks or gives it to the RB between the tackles. Repeat as necessary. There’s a point where you simply try to out-execute teams, not out-smart them. 1st & goal at the 1/2 yard line is one of those points. Unfortunately, Nagy is obsessed with being the smartest guy on the field...

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
I remember reading that Nagy gave up play calling to Bill Lazor.

I rewatched the Bears/Jax game this afternoon.

During the first drive of the 2nd half, the Bears were at the Jax 36, 4th and 5.....The camera swings and shows Nagy studying the play sheet with his head down. I couldn't tell if he was speaking into his mic because of the face covering. But it sure looked like Nagy was calling the play

Is Lazor calling plays, or Nagy?

Re-watching the Bears-Jags highlights I’m convinced that Nagy was calling the plays, at least in the first half.

If you go to the 4:05 mark in the highlights, Trubisky throws a horizontal throw and the receiver gets up field and is forced out of bounds.

With the camera focused on the Bears sideline, you can see Nagy having to move to get out of the way. The instant that he is clear, he looks down to his play sheet and puts his hand on the waist-band “audio transmitter”. This tells me he was calling the next play in to Trubisky.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
TE coach saysing this is the perfect time for a TE play is like a used car dealer saying now is the perfect time to buy a used car.

This situation is so stupid. How about just let the OC call the plays? This is the type of micro management that is gonna have us looking stupid as hell vs GB this Sunday.

...and if I was Lazor I'd be mad as shit. If I'm OC let me call plays and pass or fail at my job based on my skill rather than possibly being scapegoated when some group-effort play call goes into the shitter.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So just because Lazor is calling plays Nagy isnt allowed to have a playcard? People sure jump to conclusions around here.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This situation is so stupid. How about just let the OC call the plays? This is the type of micro management that is gonna have us looking stupid as hell vs GB this Sunday.

...and if I was Lazor I'd be mad as shit. If I'm OC let me call plays and pass or fail at my job based on my skill rather than possibly being scapegoated when some group-effort play call goes into the shitter.

"suggested"

I swear to god, fans complaining about playcalling (right or wrong) is the most inane shit in all of sports

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:

Agree that Lazor should be pissed. The F-in tight end coach calling plays is even worse than Nagy calling the plays at this point. Nagy is such an arrogant fraud.

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:
I realize all coaches lie to some extent. But Nagy takes it to another level. He’d fit right in with the college coaching ranks.

His “transparency” is nothing more than the same spin-talk that you’d get from a salesman. Lots of word-salad. He’s always looking out for #1 and throws excuses out like candy. How many people through his tenure will he scapegoat? Anyone with half a brain should see through his BS. He needs to go.

BrunoTheRed

Liked Posts:
I realize all coaches lie to some extent. But Nagy takes it to another level. He’d fit right in with the college coaching ranks.

His “transparency” is nothing more than the same spin-talk that you’d get from a salesman. Lots of word-salad. He’s always looking out for #1 and throws excuses out like candy. How many people through his tenure will he scapegoat? Anyone with half a brain should see through his BS. He needs to go.

I think that's projection on your part.

I don't think Nagy is a sleazy liar.

What I think is that he is arrogant and hard-headed, and really struggles at adapting on the fly.

To borrow a familiar phrase, he's the guy trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and instead of looking for the square hole, keeps slamming the piece in the round hole while yelling "why don't you fit!?!"

He gets tunnel vision....

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
If Nagy is going to call plays against GB, and I believe that he will be, just like he was against JAX, the Bears have no chance. He is that bad. I've never seen an OC that is just defiantly stupid that he refuses to get out of his own way, time and time again. He will never get a HC job again. What OC in the world would want to join this guys staff only to see his HC do a worse job with the offense than himself? Nagy thinks the team has a better shot of winning with him calling plays. That's how dumb this guy is.

Urlhacker

Pack Hunter
Liked Posts:
I think that's projection on your part.

I don't think Nagy is a sleazy liar.

What I think is that he is arrogant and hard-headed, and really struggles at adapting on the fly.

To borrow a familiar phrase, he's the guy trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and instead of looking for the square hole, keeps slamming the piece in the round hole while yelling "why don't you fit!?!"

He gets tunnel vision....
I don't give a fuck if this guy collects human hair. Win games. That's all you've got to do!

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
In the musical, Bears 2020 The Musical, The spotlight falls on Nagy as they get near the goal line on an important drive and Nagy breaks out into "I Gotta Be Me" originally performed by Sammy Davis Jr. He calls in his special play and it winds up going as a TE sweep for -3 yards.....

The scene shifts back to Nagy as the ghost of Halas shows up puts his arm around Nagy and says......"you're fuckin' up kid."