Did Pace pick the wrong QB again?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I am not calling him a bust yet- far too early.
But you can certainly judge his play when he has time, and it has come up short frequently.

We heard these conversations with Grossman and cutler- "if only he had x,y, and z around him".
That shit only goes so far.

Someone mentioned Burrow in another thread- He started with an abysmal o-line, sacked 22 times in his first 5 games.
He was still able to limit mistakes and make good decisions. Despite the bad line and 40+ attempts per game over his first 5 starts, he only had 3 picks.

I dont expect 300 yards and 2 tds per game, but I do expect the boneheaded plays and bad throws to start slowing down.
And we can point out some of those sacks were on burrow. If he were on the bears the narrative would have been Burrows holds the ball too long, got hurt therefore he is a bust?

Fields looks bad right now but no one is doing him any favors. I wish Nagy was fired today but it won’t happen

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
All true. He’s still better than Fields though because he can actually read a defense. Sorry, it’s just plain as day obvious. Maybe Fields gets better. Maybe he doesn’t. Maybe this is Jones ceiling. Maybe not. I don’t know the future. What I do know is today, right now, if I had to pick one of the two to win a game with I’m picking Jones.
On the bears? Naw don’t pick either

Yes Mac looks better now but BB also made Jimmy G look great too. Great coaches do what is best for their team, shit coaches kill their team

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Imagine this being Nagy’s fifth starting QB that looks bad out there, he runs the same offense no matter what and yet instead of realizing Nagy is the problem you think it’s a narrative
The narrative is the reflexive dismissal of Jones as a “dink and dunk QB” as if saying that makes Bears fans feel better somehow. I don’t know why we can’t compliment a non Bears player without trying to diminish him. It happens all the time here with any number of players.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is this just another Nail in the "fire Pace" coffin? The 2 Qbs that where on the Board when the Bears moved up was Fields and Mac Jones.

Justin Fields
SEASONTEAMGGSCOMPATTYDSAVGTDINTSCKSCKYRATEATTYDSAVGTDFUMLOST
2021Chicago Bears75751318166.2262217961.8341404.1162

Mac Jones
2021New England Patriots7717424717797.2961411192.813453.5031

At this point it seems like Jones was the better option, granted it could turn out that after a few years Fields is the better QB but if the Bears are evaluation both Pace and Nagy this year then all they have to go off is this years QB numbers. And so far it looks like Pace picked the wrong QB again
Pace and 5 other gm's if that is your measure.

Edit: I keep thinking... the GOAT was a 6th round pick. 6th round. Sounds to me like qb rating is an inexact scientific dart throw at a Ouiji board.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The narrative is the reflexive dismissal of Jones as a “dink and dunk QB” as if saying that makes Bears fans feel better somehow. I don’t know why we can’t compliment a non Bears player without trying to diminish him. It happens all the time here with any number of players.
Because that’s his game, It’s not necessary a bad thing. I’m saying it wouldnt work here on a team that a toddler can run through and the WRs struggle to separate. You rarely see max protect in NE, if we don’t do that here then the QB dies.

We can both say Mac reads NFL defenses better but what good is that when the moment he hits his drop a defender is already on his heels?

Luke

Liked Posts:
It’s too soon to tell for sure but it’s a good question. It’s obvious why Fields fell in the draft now…. He can’t read defenses. Jones certainly can. Hopefully Fields brane catches up to his physical gifts over the next ten games.

All of Fields knocks coming out of OSU are readily seen.
First read QB, holds on to the ball too long, doesn't throw with anticipation, poor pocket presence and bad under pressure. I remembering discussing them when talking about why SF could select Jones at #3.
The hope is that some of these can be corrected with repetition and experience and he can reach that high ceiling.
We just have to see how this all plays out.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
All of Fields knocks coming out of OSU are readily seen.
First read QB, holds on to the ball too long, doesn't throw with anticipation, poor pocket presence and bad under pressure. I remembering discussing them when talking about why SF could select Jones at #3.
The hope is that some of these can be corrected with repetition and experience and he can reach that high ceiling.
We just have to see how this all plays out.
The first read QB myth has already been dispelled, if anything he looks for the second read too much when the first read is open

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Its possible - no players are locks to be good in the NFL, but anyone who is willing to say that for certain right now is an idiot.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Please don't overreact. Think Peyton Manning and Troy Aikman. They had it just as bad their rookie seasons. Justin has all the talent, desire and confidence in the world. That being said, if Nagy is here beyond this year, then The QB killer Nagy has a great chance of ruining this kid. There is no rookie QB, this year, last year, the year before etc. that would not be having it very rough with this team their rookie year.
yeah but Manning actually showed some promise as well. He had several 300 yard games in his first 5 starts. Fields only cracked 200 once. Fields is averaging 149 yards per game. There is no way to slice it other then thats terrible at this point, and lets not forget that the rules are much more QB friendly today compared to 23 years ago..

Rookie QBs are going to make stupid mistakes, they all do, even the greats like Manning made mistakes.. But what happens between the rookie mistakes is telling.. and so far Fields has shown nothing, its pretty much been a big disappointment

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Its possible - no players are locks to be good in the NFL, but anyone who is willing to say that for certain right now is an idiot.
Exactly! I don’t think anyone is saying it’s for certain long term.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm not saying he's not a bust. I'm saying I'm not judging any quarterback who runs a Matt Nagy offense.
Judging his season as compared to his peers? Not a good idea with nagy calling the shots.
But- You cannot overlook everything.
He has made some terrible decisions/terrible throws that are not system or play calling related.
Even if you want to call it "seeing ghosts", that points to lack of mental fortitude and being prone to panic- neither of which are good traits.

I mean, The jags have been in a similar hell to the bears, but they werent wrong to move on from minshew and bortles.
The jets have been in hell and they werent wrong to move on from Darnold, and despite their issues Wilson is looking like his days are numbered as well.

Nagy is a spectacular dumbass, but it would be insane to ignore everything else wrong with the team.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is this just another Nail in the "fire Pace" coffin? The 2 Qbs that where on the Board when the Bears moved up was Fields and Mac Jones.

Justin Fields
2021Chicago Bears75751318166.2262217961.8341404.1162

Mac Jones
2021New England Patriots7717424717797.2961411192.813453.5031

At this point it seems like Jones was the better option, granted it could turn out that after a few years Fields is the better QB but if the Bears are evaluation both Pace and Nagy this year then all they have to go off is this years QB numbers. And so far it looks like Pace picked the wrong QB again
More likely, the Bears can't coach a QB..Look at the former QB's they failed on

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
dink and dunk and getting the ball out fast is how you counter a great pass rush. Holding onto the ball to long will get you killed
WRs got to be open as well but you need big play ability too

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
More likely, the Bears can't coach a QB..Look at the former QB's they failed on
yeah but that still falls on a Pace failure. Either Fileds sucks because he is a bust as a QB.. which is a failure of Pace for picking him. Or fields is really a talented QB that has no help with the OL, WR and has a Special person HC.. well thats all a failure of Pace as well. Pace is responsible for putting the team together and picking the HC.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah but that still falls on a Pace failure. Either Fileds sucks because he is a bust as a QB.. which is a failure of Pace for picking him. Or fields is really a talented QB that has no help with the OL, WR and has a Special person HC.. well thats all a failure of Pace as well. Pace is responsible for putting the team together and picking the HC.
I agree that it falls on Pace..Nagy was his pick as were the draft picks and hires

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This. I'd like to see the poster that was saying 'please pick Mac' when we made the move.

I most certainly wanted the Bears to draft Mac Jones. And there were a few others who did too. There were a much a higher number of people that basically ripped to shreds anybody that did want the Bears to draft Mac Jones.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
And we can point out some of those sacks were on burrow. If he were on the bears the narrative would have been Burrows holds the ball too long, got hurt therefore he is a bust?

Fields looks bad right now but no one is doing him any favors. I wish Nagy was fired today but it won’t happen

Burrows first 5 starts he had 3 - 300 yard games, 6TD and 3INT so its not even close to compare him to Fields..