Did Pace pick the wrong QB again?

Canth

Liked Posts:
Sorry 235 yards

Anyone with a clue knew Fields was a victim of his situation with a bad team under horrid coaching, while Jones benefited from his.

Yeah, Nagy proved he was not a good teacher and either couldn't or wouldn't adapt to his players strengths. The fact that every single qb that played for him, played poorly and that the offense could never consistently score shows that.

The interesting flipside this year is that I do think Fields is overall getting good coaching. Certainly better than what he had last year. Meanwhile, I have to think that Jones is getting worse coaching. Josh McDaniels is a bad HC as the AFC West has been reminded, but he has been a good OC for Belichick and he did a good job of playing to Jones's strengths and trying to hide his weaknesses. What I really don't understand with Belichick this year is why he put Matt Patricia involved in any aspect of the offense and then just the entire weird game of not naming an OC or playcaller.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Nagy proved he was not a good teacher and either couldn't or wouldn't adapt to his players strengths. The fact that every single qb that played for him, played poorly and that the offense could never consistently score shows that.

The interesting flipside this year is that I do think Fields is overall getting good coaching. Certainly better than what he had last year. Meanwhile, I have to think that Jones is getting worse coaching. Josh McDaniels is a bad HC as the AFC West has been reminded, but he has been a good OC for Belichick and he did a good job of playing to Jones's strengths and trying to hide his weaknesses. What I really don't understand with Belichick this year is why he put Matt Patricia involved in any aspect of the offense and then just the entire weird game of not naming an OC or playcaller.
The report of him leaving Mitch hanging during a meeting where Mitch wanted to talk about ways to fix the offense is just despicable. He doesn't even deserve to work in the NFL.

Canth

Liked Posts:
The report of him leaving Mitch hanging during a meeting where Mitch wanted to talk about ways to fix the offense is just despicable. He doesn't even deserve to work in the NFL.

Nagy was able to hide his actual poor coaching behind the fact that most of the qb's he worked with were already developed at the NFL level. In Philly, it was McNabb and Vick and he was just an intern and assistant to the assistant type of coach. In KC when he was a "qb coach" and an OC, it was Alex Smith with Chase Daniel as the back-up for most of the time and everyone knew it was Reid's system. So, all he had to do was run the drills, not really teach and develop those guys. He was probably fine at that and he did have an eye for trick plays or different plays that worked when rolled up under Reid.

When Nagy got to Chicago, he was no longer surrounded by people that knew the Reid system and I don't think he knew it as much as he thought he did. He probably discovered that when he didn't know how to teach it to the level of Andy Reid. I remember his saying he had to teach it to the new coaches first, and then they had to try and teach it to the players. I'm sure a lot got lost in translation. Hence, all the mistakes, lack of detail, etc.

The Mitch situation you described above strikes me as someone who knows they don't know and doesn't want to admit it or talk about it where it gets further revealed how much they don't know.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
KC was the only team willing to give him a job.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I will gladly eat crow if he plays well..

Nope, no you won't. You've dbldoinkdongeddown on your position. I will give you credit for knocking the pick since day one. But you have blinders on. Fields is the future of the Bears franchise but you know something they don't right?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Nope, no you won't. You've dbldoinkdongeddown on your position. I will give you credit for knocking the pick since day one. But you have blinders on. Fields is the future of the Bears franchise but you know something they don't right?

He acts like no one on this board realizes that Fields still has some development to be done and issues to be ironed out. But if one can’t recognize that he’s a special talent, then it’s pointless to argue with them over it.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
He acts like no one on this board realizes that Fields still has some development to be done and issues to be ironed out. But if one can’t recognize that he’s a special talent, then it’s pointless to argue with them over it.

Yeah, theres a few here that keep offering up the same bland bait. I'm bored!

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah, theres a few here that keep offering up the same bland bait. I'm bored!
I’m kind of confused as to how someone watches that game and then comes to the conclusion that Fields sucks. That was the result of a bad roster going up against an elite roster.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Yes I will and I have given him credit for the things he has done well.. Have said he is an elite talent at running the ball. Also said he needs to work on his passing skills. All of that is true. I have also given him credit for playing well against the packers (even with the INTs at the end)

You guys just are all over the place here and cant handle a legitimate debate about Fields, its like you guys are so unhinged and take any criticism of fields as a personal attack. News flash for you, Fields doesn't give a shit about any criticism from me, he also doesnt give a shit about you trying to defend him. Fields will either improve his passing game and solve our QB problems for the next 10+ years or he will join the long list of QBs that didnt work out for the Bears, Its all on what Fields does and how he develops.. You looking like a deranged lunatic in your quest to defend Fields by bumping year old threads will not have any effect on Fields development, so just relax take a deep breath and take a break for a while. This obsession with anyone who was critical of him is not healthy..

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I’m kind of confused as to how someone watches that game and then comes to the conclusion that Fields sucks. That was the result of a bad roster going up against an elite roster.
It's a bit and he is fully committed

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Yes I will and I have given him credit for the things he has done well.. Have said he is an elite talent at running the ball. Also said he needs to work on his passing skills. All of that is true. I have also given him credit for playing well against the packers (even with the INTs at the end)

You guys just are all over the place here and cant handle a legitimate debate about Fields, its like you guys are so unhinged and take any criticism of fields as a personal attack. News flash for you, Fields doesn't give a shit about any criticism from me, he also doesnt give a shit about you trying to defend him. Fields will either improve his passing game and solve our QB problems for the next 10+ years or he will join the long list of QBs that didnt work out for the Bears, Its all on what Fields does and how he develops.. You looking like a deranged lunatic in your quest to defend Fields by bumping year old threads will not have any effect on Fields development, so just relax take a deep breath and take a break for a while. This obsession with anyone who was critical of him is not healthy..

TLDR

Dstone5553

Liked Posts:

For me, I wanted to move on from Fields around week 4. I wanted Poles to pick his QB with the top pick--was thinking we'd have the worst record.

Then he had that stretch and it became obvious that we have to give him the keys and see if he can develop into a great QB. I worry about how long it takes him to make a decision, his accuracy, and the fact that having a QB who runs that much seems to be a recipe for not having that QB finish a season more times than not. Serious worries.

His field vision seems to be improving, he's seeing people he wasn't seeing at the beginning of the year. There is a chance he could learn how to make decisions much more quickly, hit the vast majority of the passes he's supposed to make, and find a way to stay healthy most of the time.

Because there is that chance, he's got to be the guy. Like I said, I've done an 180. I do have all those concerns but what he's shown this year...that kind of electricity? He's got to be the guy.

jc456

Liked Posts:
For me, I wanted to move on from Fields around week 4. I wanted Poles to pick his QB with the top pick--was thinking we'd have the worst record.

Then he had that stretch and it became obvious that we have to give him the keys and see if he can develop into a great QB. I worry about how long it takes him to make a decision, his accuracy, and the fact that having a QB who runs that much seems to be a recipe for not having that QB finish a season more times than not. Serious worries.

His field vision seems to be improving, he's seeing people he wasn't seeing at the beginning of the year. There is a chance he could learn how to make decisions much more quickly, hit the vast majority of the passes he's supposed to make, and find a way to stay healthy most of the time.

Because there is that chance, he's got to be the guy. Like I said, I've done an 180. I do have all those concerns but what he's shown this year...that kind of electricity? He's got to be the guy.
He’s not winning

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

idk what you are watching cause I agree on the weaknesses you listed, but the last couple games I have seen marked improvement in every one of em

Bust

Liked Posts:
Is this just another Nail in the "fire Pace" coffin? The 2 Qbs that where on the Board when the Bears moved up was Fields and Mac Jones.

Justin Fields
SEASONTEAMGGSCOMPATTYDSAVGTDINTSCKSCKYRATEATTYDSAVGTDFUMLOST
2021Chicago Bears75751318166.2262217961.8341404.1162

Mac Jones
SEASONTEAMGGSCOMPATTYDSAVGTDINTSCKSCKYRATEATTYDSAVGTDFUMLOST
2021New England Patriots7717424717797.2961411192.813453.5031

At this point it seems like Jones was the better option, granted it could turn out that after a few years Fields is the better QB but if the Bears are evaluation both Pace and Nagy this year then all they have to go off is this years QB numbers. And so far it looks like Pace picked the wrong QB again

Pats would swap Fields for Jones in a heart beat. Probably give the Bears a 1st round pick or 2 to make it happen