Did Pace pick the wrong QB again?

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
Well Cam Newton was a total bust playing for New England so I think the QB must mean something.
Cam was arguably the worst starting QB in the league last year in the same system. Didn't they bench him for Hoyer at one point? Lol

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Always the excuses. They never end.

Mean, are you just playing the odds and wanting to be right? And you would rather have Fields fail and you be right than fields succeed?

Because I got news for you - I know that the recent success of some rookies in the league over the past five to seven years has made some fans dumb, but this kind of shit that Fields is going through is how it used to be for most new drafted quarterbacks who entered the league because they were going to horrible teams.

I didn't see Peyton Manning lifting the colts his first year to the playoffs and contention. The great Troy aikman certainly didn't win his first super bowl his rookie year and in fact looked a lot like how Fields is looking right now as he got his ass handed to him.

Part of the reason people like Boomer esiason are so gleeful and eager to beat the shit out of rookie quarterbacks is because they themselves went through those first year growing pains by their own admission, and then there's the jealousy that some other quarterbacks had better success than they did when they first started.

So my confusion therein lies:

With a line that can't block and a coaching staff that hasn't succeeded no matter who the players have been over the past 5 years even before Fields got here, how the hell do you really know what you even have in fields?

That's not an excuse. That's just paying attention.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Cam was arguably the worst starting QB in the league last year in the same system. Didn't they bench him for Hoyer at one point? Lol
The funny thing is, Cam Newton is the outlier. Look at all the quarterbacks who started for New England when Brady got hurt. All of them looked really good, ended up traded, and looked like horseshit elsewhere....

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Mac was the most NFL-ready with the highest floor. It should surprise no one that he is off to a decent start.

I still like Fields' upside long-term, just need to pair him with the right HC that will build the offense around his strengths.
See this is a reasonable take.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Cam is a low IQ QB. No wonder he struggled in BB's offense.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I most certainly wanted the Bears to draft Mac Jones. And there were a few others who did too. There were a much a higher number of people that basically ripped to shreds anybody that did want the Bears to draft Mac Jones.
I preferred Fields but thought we'd start the season with either Mac or Mills on our roster due to Fields not dropping as far as he did. It's a bit of a crap shoot anyway but we needed a QB.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Because the Bengals are a better organization than the Bears .

Your claim simply ignores reality

The Bengals drafted Burrows dumped Dalton and spent 6-7 months tailoring the offense to his abilities and making him the guy FROM DAY ONE .

The Bears did the exact opposite ..........but you are trying to compare results

How am I ignoring reality when I'm comparing actual reality?

The reality is that even though the Burrow got sacked a ton, and would hold the ball to long as well and still made rookie mistakes.. he still made plays, something that Fields has not done.. sorry but thats reality

you want to dive into the world of hypotheticals and what ifs then thats fine. What if Fields was on the Bengals? or the Pats? or whatever? sorry but that is literally ignoring reality.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Mean, are you just playing the odds and wanting to be right? And you would rather have Fields fail and you be right than fields succeed?
Kind of a catch 22 with this one, If Fields starts playing better then that saves Pace and Nagys jobs so whats worse for the Bears, Fields playing bad and we make a major change or fields playing better and they stay?

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Kind of a catch 22 with this one, If Fields starts playing better then that saves Pace and Nagys jobs so whats worse for the Bears, Fields playing bad and we make a major change or fields playing better and they stay?

So then wanting fields to fail is a medium for getting rid of the GM and head coach?

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
The funny thing is, Cam Newton is the outlier. Look at all the quarterbacks who started for New England when Brady got hurt. All of them looked really good, ended up traded, and looked like horseshit elsewhere....
I mean a lot of QBs can have a couple good games or 1 good game when they're not preparing for you or there's no tape. Taylor Heinicke player better against Brady then anyone in the playoffs last year. Matt Cassel could have had a fluke year like 2018 Mitch or 2017 Keenum doesn't change the fact about what kind of QB if you continue to start them which is below average.

Is this the worst supporting cast in the Nagy era? I don't think so . Is the worst QBing we've seen in the Nagy era? Yes. And to me the corpse of Foles Mitch Daniels or Dalton isn't a high bar. Yes they are veterans but to me even as veterans those aren't extremely high bars even for a rookie. You think if Jordan Burrow played worse then the corpse of Dalton even in his rookie year Bengals fans wouldn't be upset?

DB012031

Liked Posts:
If I had to play one game next week with either team or coaching staff I’d want Mac.

The answer may change by the end of the season or over the next few years but next week…. I’m picking Mac without a moment of hesitation.

Have any of you ever wondered WHY Bill didn’t trade up?

Fair enought. But, has Bill ever traded up? Its not really something the Patriots do, regardless of their needs.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I mean a lot of QBs can have a couple good games or 1 good game when they're not preparing for you or there's no tape. Taylor Heinicke player better against Brady then anyone in the playoffs last year. Matt Cassel could have had a fluke year like 2018 Mitch or 2017 Keenum doesn't change the fact about what kind of QB if you continue to start them which is below average.

Is this the worst supporting cast in the Nagy era? I don't think so . Is the worst QBing we've seen in the Nagy era? Yes. And to me the corpse of Foles Mitch Daniels or Dalton isn't a high bar. Yes they are veterans but to me even as veterans those aren't extremely high bars even for a rookie. You think if Jordan Burrow played worse then the corpse of Dalton even in his rookie year Bengals fans wouldn't be upset?

I think a lot of fans wouldn't know what they were looking at.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
How am I ignoring reality when I'm comparing actual reality?

The reality is that even though the Burrow got sacked a ton, and would hold the ball to long as well and still made rookie mistakes.. he still made plays, something that Fields has not done.. sorry but thats reality

you want to dive into the world of hypotheticals and what ifs then thats fine. What if Fields was on the Bengals? or the Pats? or whatever? sorry but that is literally ignoring reality.

Because Burrow was prepared from day ONE for it to be his team while Fields was basically started being prepared 4 weeks ago .

The fact that you cant see that simply yet huge difference means you are not dealing in reality but your own argument you created .

Burrow made mistakes in a offensive scheme built around him Fields is making mistakes in a offensive scheme built around Nagy

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Fair enought. But, has Bill ever traded up? Its not really something the Patriots do, regardless of their needs.
They traded up this year. (second round) don't know if they've ever done it in the first.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
This thread is really more about a failure of Pace, so if your going to go the blaming the Coach and supporting cast angle.. thats still a failure of Pace

And F.y.i. Cassel had his best season after he left the Pats

I don't disagree at all, the failure of the Bears is across the organization and yes, we can absolutely put the brunt of it on Pace.

As for Cassel:
  • Cassel never goes to Kansas City if he doesn't have that 1 year of starting with NE.
  • I believe you are talking about Cassel's 2010, season in KC, yes? I don't know if we call that better, I guess it depends on what you define as better:
    • Yes, Cassel threw 6 more TD's in 2010 and had 4 less INT's
    • Cassel also threw for 500 yards less in 2010 and his completion % fell 5% as well
so the 2010 and 2008 seasons are pretty much a wash with Cassel, but the primary point I was making is Cassel never even gets the starting job in KC in 2009 if he hadn't had to play in 2008

DB012031

Liked Posts:
They traded up this year. (second round) don't know if they've ever done it in the first.

I think we can all say, comparing the Bears and their HC to New England and their HC is just not even close. Outside of Cam, the Pats seem to hit on so many of their QB's because of the way they design their system and flex to the strengths of their players.

Bears....I don't think have had any sort of cohesive strategy in god knows how long.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think we can all say, comparing the Bears and their HC to New England and their HC is just not even close. Outside of Cam, the Pats seem to hit on so many of their QB's because of the way they design their system and flex to the strengths of their players.

Bears....I don't think have had any sort of cohesive strategy in god knows how long.
Well that's one thing we all can agree on.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Because Burrow was prepared from day ONE for it to be his team while Fields was basically started being prepared 4 weeks ago .

The fact that you cant see that simply yet huge difference means you are not dealing in reality but your own argument you created .

Burrow made mistakes in a offensive scheme built around him Fields is making mistakes in a offensive scheme built around Nagy

if you want to make excuses for him then thats fine.. But to say i'm not talking about reality is just stupid. The reality is so far Fields has been a complete failure. Now there is plenty of reasons and excuses that you can point to for the reason why he has failed if you want to make yourself feel better about the pic, but the end result is a failure so far. Bottom line here is I really dont care which excuse or reason you want to point to. Every excuse for the failure of this team is pointing right to Pace.. where it belongs

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Is this just another Nail in the "fire Pace" coffin? The 2 Qbs that where on the Board when the Bears moved up was Fields and Mac Jones.

Justin Fields
SEASONTEAMGGSCOMPATTYDSAVGTDINTSCKSCKYRATEATTYDSAVGTDFUMLOST
2021Chicago Bears75751318166.2262217961.8341404.1162

Mac Jones
SEASONTEAMGGSCOMPATTYDSAVGTDINTSCKSCKYRATEATTYDSAVGTDFUMLOST
2021New England Patriots7717424717797.2961411192.813453.5031

At this point it seems like Jones was the better option, granted it could turn out that after a few years Fields is the better QB but if the Bears are evaluation both Pace and Nagy this year then all they have to go off is this years QB numbers. And so far it looks like Pace picked the wrong QB again
No. Nagy and his shit scheme are the problem and he's currently on a direct path towards ruining yet another 1st round pick at the QB position.

Nagy was literally brought in to do one thing, that being to install a high level NFL offense and he's not even come close to that in any of his 4 seasons as the HC.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
So then wanting fields to fail is a medium for getting rid of the GM and head coach?

for me it is.. hoping this team crashes and burns this year so we can get a new GM/HC I feel would be the best option, If fields lights it up next year with a new HC then that would be the icing on the cake..