Did Pace pick the wrong QB again?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You guys keep saying this narrative when the facts are obvious to anyone trying to be objective:

Mac Jones looks way way better than Fields at this point in time.
Who's his coach and how long have they been successfully running their system?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Pace and 5 other gm's if that is your measure.
No my measure is what Pace does and is it working. And so far the Fields pick is not working. Again that could be because of the other mistakes that Pace has done to this team. But it really doesnt matter which mistake you want to point to.. the reason this team is not working is Because of Pace

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
Why do people think being more mobile means taking less sacks. Lamar is the most mobile QB of all time and he's the 2nd most sacked QB in the NFL right now.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Also an insane amount of sacks. Again you can’t just cherry pick stats
not cherry picking anything as I said before Rookies will make mistakes. What they do between the rookie mistakes is what matters.. Burrow still made plays between the stupid plays when he got sacked, as it shows up in his multiple 300 yard games and 2:1 TD/INT ratio.. what has Fields done? There is nothing you can really point to and say WOW this kid might have it.. it has been marginal play and rookie mistakes the entire time

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
No my measure is what Pace does and is it working. And so far the Fields pick is not working. Again that could be because of the other mistakes that Pace has done to this team. But it really doesnt matter which mistake you want to point to.. the reason this team is not working is Because of Pace

How many QB's have the Bears failed on?

After a while one starts to realize that it's not the player, but the system they are forced to endure
System? Pace? Um, I've been watching the Bears since the 60's... It is neither Pace or the system, unless by system you mean the organization that is the Chicago Bears. Not one true Probowl caliber QB during this time period forget hall of fame worthy.

Edit: Jimmy Mac had his moments, but that's about it.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
All true. He’s still better than Fields though because he can actually read a defense. Sorry, it’s just plain as day obvious. Maybe Fields gets better. Maybe he doesn’t. Maybe this is Jones ceiling. Maybe not. I don’t know the future. What I do know is today, right now, if I had to pick one of the two to win a game with I’m picking Jones.
Who is the coach and what supporting cast are you picking for that game as well? Justin has his problems, no doubt about that, but come one....Bill and the Patriots or Nagy and the Bears.....Clear as day why Jones is doing better. Hell, Bill made Matt Cassel look like the next coming and the Chiefs were dumb enough to give him a huge contract after that 1 season.

No one can judge Justin Fields until he has a proper coach and cohesive offensive strategy/play calling/Play design. Put Justin Fields on the Patriots and he looks probably even better than Mac Jones.

Now as for the can't read defense part, Justin has some issues with this as do all rookie QB's. However, and Nagy has even admitted as much (look at the presser after the Cleveland Game). Justin doesn't have any audible options (again, Nagy basically admitted this after Cleveland when they ran the ball against a stacked defense on the sweep). Its hard to read a defense when you literally have no idea what the hell the offense is suppose to do because its so piss poorly design.

Justin may never good or he could be the next Josh Allen (whom everyone thought was a bust through year 1 and now he is an MVP candidate). BUT, the main thing is we cannot judge him fairly until Nagy and the the entire coaching staff (save maybe Desai) are fired.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Chicago Bears could walk into a warehouse somewhere, see a guy driving a forklift, sign him, and turn him into a productive Lber in 1 year.

Then, they could take Tom Brady as QB, and have him throwing more int's than TD's in 1 year.

It's just the way the Bears organization thinks. Theyre stuck in a time warp when games were won 13-10 and defenses were king.

They hire FO personnel/ coaches that will go along with this just to have a job.

Nothing will change until the team is sold

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Also an insane amount of sacks. Again you can’t just cherry pick stats
undoubtedly- he had growing pains, killed drives with sacks.
He did minimize turnovers, kept them low, and started learning to deal with pressure.

Fields has looked completely unaware of pressure on some of the sacks he has had, but I am not burying him for that yet. Part of the growing pains.
(I will however say he needs to get a better grip on the ball. Way too many fumbles.)

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Who is the coach and what supporting cast are you picking for that game as well? Justin has his problems, no doubt about that, but come one....Bill and the Patriots or Nagy and the Bears.....Clear as day why Jones is doing better. Hell, Bill made Matt Cassel look like the next coming and the Chiefs were dumb enough to give him a huge contract after that 1 season.

No one can judge Justin Fields until he has a proper coach and cohesive offensive strategy/play calling/Play design. Put Justin Fields on the Patriots and he looks probably even better than Mac Jones.

Now as for the can't read defense part, Justin has some issues with this as do all rookie QB's. However, and Nagy has even admitted as much (look at the presser after the Cleveland Game). Justin doesn't have any audible options (again, Nagy basically admitted this after Cleveland when they ran the ball against a stacked defense on the sweep). Its hard to read a defense when you literally have no idea what the hell the offense is suppose to do because its so piss poorly design.

Justin may never good or he could be the next Josh Allen (whom everyone thought was a bust through year 1 and now he is an MVP candidate). BUT, the main thing is we cannot judge him fairly until Nagy and the the entire coaching staff (save maybe Desai) are fired.
If I had to play one game next week with either team or coaching staff I’d want Mac.

The answer may change by the end of the season or over the next few years but next week…. I’m picking Mac without a moment of hesitation.

Have any of you ever wondered WHY Bill didn’t trade up?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

This thread is really more about a failure of Pace, so if your going to go the blaming the Coach and supporting cast angle.. thats still a failure of Pace

And F.y.i. Cassel had his best season after he left the Pats

ImSure

Liked Posts:
Judging his season as compared to his peers? Not a good idea with nagy calling the shots.
But- You cannot overlook everything.
He has made some terrible decisions/terrible throws that are not system or play calling related.
Even if you want to call it "seeing ghosts", that points to lack of mental fortitude and being prone to panic- neither of which are good traits.

I mean, The jags have been in a similar hell to the bears, but they werent wrong to move on from minshew and bortles.
The jets have been in hell and they werent wrong to move on from Darnold, and despite their issues Wilson is looking like his days are numbered as well.

Nagy is a spectacular dumbass, but it would be insane to ignore everything else wrong with the team.
i'm still not judging a rookie (with, what, 4 starts under his belt) in a Nagy offense.

now, if this was a Andy Reid offense, i can let myself judge quicker.

does anyone remember what a bum Ryan Tannehill was in Miami?

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
not cherry picking anything as I said before Rookies will make mistakes. What they do between the rookie mistakes is what matters.. Burrow still made plays between the stupid plays when he got sacked, as it shows up in his multiple 300 yard games and 2:1 TD/INT ratio.. what has Fields done? There is nothing you can really point to and say WOW this kid might have it.. it has been marginal play and rookie mistakes the entire time

Because the Bengals are a better organization than the Bears .

Your claim simply ignores reality

The Bengals drafted Burrows dumped Dalton and spent 6-7 months tailoring the offense to his abilities and making him the guy FROM DAY ONE .

The Bears did the exact opposite ..........but you are trying to compare results

dignan

Liked Posts:
Mac was the most NFL-ready with the highest floor. It should surprise no one that he is off to a decent start.

I still like Fields' upside long-term, just need to pair him with the right HC that will build the offense around his strengths.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
QB prospects need to start refusing to sign with the Bears. You essentially guarantee you will not see your 5th year option and your career will be finished. NFL is all about that 2nd contract and as a QB, you won't get that playing for the Bears.