Did Tarik Cohen regress over is it Matt Nagy?

Southside

Liked Posts:
This year, a lot of people have criticized Cohen's lack of an impact with some saying that Cohen himselfregressed. Others say he isn't getting used properly. But I just looked up his stats and in 2018 when he broke out, and he had 71 receptions and 91 targets that year compared to 70 catches and 94 targets this year, his targets and receptions are almost identical. Cohen was never really a between the tackles runner, so I'm just focused on his receiving yards.

But one thing I noticed is that his yards per reception was 10 last year and 5 this year. How can a guy still in his prime have his yards/rec slashed in half in a matter of one season? What's your theory?

I think it indicates to me that he's EXACTLY the same player as last year but he's being affected by external issues such as bad playcalls, no traditional run game, poor blocking, not having confidence in the QB, etc. Matt Nagy loves to throw east-to-west but that only works when your team can set up blocks. I also think that he worked better with Jordan Howard because Howard was a traditional back who teams had to respect which opens up the playbook for screens and gadget plays. You have to be able to run the ball up the middle before you can trick teams with quick passes in the flat to Cohen.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The goal with Cohen is to get him the ball in space. This season it seems he was getting the ball in space, but that space was behind the line of scrimmage 90% of the time.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
A bottom 3 offense is going to have bottom 3 players and a bottom 3 play caller. But Nagy is the turd, the players are just the stench.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
A bottom 3 offense is going to have bottom 3 players and a bottom 3 play caller. But Nagy is the turd, the players are just the stench.
And unfortunately Pace is likely to just spray some Glade rather than flush the turd.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The goal with Cohen is to get him the ball in space. This season it seems he was getting the ball in space, but that space was behind the line of scrimmage 90% of the time.
/thread

bufordht

Liked Posts:
I think he runs east to west a little more but I think defenses key on that knowing that they don't have to respect anything up the middle. Basically Nagy has been figured out and the D knows what to look for. So I think it's a little of both.

Trayhezy

Liked Posts:
Nagy is predictable.

Every defensive coordinator knows when Cohen lines up in the backfield it is a pass. That's why Nagy runs him inside to try to throw the d off, but no one care cause he cant run inside.

From the backfield he can only run a wheel or flat route and they have figured that out making Cohen just a gimmick player

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's Nagy.

The Pats sometimes use White in a similar fashion out of the backfield. The difference is when the Pats run it, White has space, but when the Bears run it, there is no space, almost as if they know it's coming.

Nagy needs to figure out how to use Cohen, Patterson, etc.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
If Cohen would just take what the defense gives him instead of trying to bounce everything wide, he'd have 2-3 more yards per reception at least...

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can say without hesitation that Cohen is a horrible punt returner...He consistently fair catches the ball inside the 10 and puts the Bears in horrible starting position..

On the other hand, Patterson returning KO's does just the opposite..He consistently runs the ball out of the end zone and gets to the 18 (maybe) thereby losing 7 yards from taking a knee in the end zone..
The Bears returners need to be replaced

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Cohen would just take what the defense gives him instead of trying to bounce everything wide, he'd have 2-3 more yards per reception at least...
For some reason, the Nagy school of offense is E-W instead of N-S... and Cohen is a perfect example of that mentality

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Mostly Cohen, because of his increasing insistence on running directly towards the sideline whenever the ball touches his hands.

There were several plays this year where you could see wide open holes he could have easily ran through to pick up extra yards, and he elected to run out of bounds to negate a big play.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
he either runs out of bounds like he is used to the canadian field, or he tries to run between the tackles. Either way, its no win. I cant wait til the draft when we get the next superstar with the Jordan Howard pick from all the people that said we did not need him anymore.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

It reminds me of when they had to make Devin Hester a receiver to justify his pay and Cutler had no chance to ever hit the guy in stride. It was always stop, jump, catch, get tackled hilarity. We are better off using Cohen like Willie Gault, just run down field every play and try to take a safety with you so we can throw it to someone else.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
This year, a lot of people have criticized Cohen's lack of an impact with some saying that Cohen himselfregressed. Others say he isn't getting used properly. But I just looked up his stats and in 2018 when he broke out, and he had 71 receptions and 91 targets that year compared to 70 catches and 94 targets this year, his targets and receptions are almost identical. Cohen was never really a between the tackles runner, so I'm just focused on his receiving yards.

But one thing I noticed is that his yards per reception was 10 last year and 5 this year. How can a guy still in his prime have his yards/rec slashed in half in a matter of one season? What's your theory?

I think it indicates to me that he's EXACTLY the same player as last year but he's being affected by external issues such as bad playcalls, no traditional run game, poor blocking, not having confidence in the QB, etc. Matt Nagy loves to throw east-to-west but that only works when your team can set up blocks. I also think that he worked better with Jordan Howard because Howard was a traditional back who teams had to respect which opens up the playbook for screens and gadget plays. You have to be able to run the ball up the middle before you can trick teams with quick passes in the flat to Cohen.

COhen is the one running east-west, it's mostly on him

Defense Wins

Liked Posts:
Mo

Mofo gotta catch damn ball....

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Jordan howard isnt damaging defenders with his violent rushing. Nobody on the opposing defense is tired. The chains arent moving. There are no tired guys to take advantage of.

Thats hiw scat backs work man.