Did the Bears Make a Mistake Hiring Eberflus?

Bust

Liked Posts:
The headcoach sets the standard <complacency> for the organization and team.

Every bear fan knows Eberflus would be giving off high fives and butt slaps to Getsy buttocks and deemed it a success running a 19 play drive that resulted in 3 points.

meanwhile . . .

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Yes, I know it's too early to tell, but there are some themes and trends regarding playoff teams that are worth looking at. It's no secret that the NFL is now an offensive league and defense does not win you championships anymore; QB play does.

When looking at the top offenses in the league, 10 of the top 11 offenses made the playoffs this year. The lone team that did not make the playoffs were the Detroit Lions. Bears were 28th, FYI.

Among the remaining teams in the playoffs, 7 of the 8 have offensive backgrounds. The 8th coach is Sean McDermott with the Buffalo Bills.

There were 10 new head coaches this season. Of those 10, 4 had defensive backgrounds (Lovie, Eberflus, Dennis Allen, Todd Bowles) and 6 came from the offensive side (Pederson, Daboll, Kevin O'Connell, McDaniel, Hackett, and McDaniels). One from each side got fired (Lovie and Hackett). One from the defensive side made the playoffs (25%), and four from the offensive side made the playoffs (67%).

The hit rate and importance seem to lean towards offense. Now, obviously each team had drastically different circumstances where none of these comparisons are apples-to-apples. I just think it's interesting and something to monitor going forward the success of teams and their coaches' coaching background.

Should the Bears have hired Pederson or Daboll instead of Eberflus? Only time will tell.

So, did the Bills make a mistake in hiring McDermott?

Eberflus may or may not turn out to be a mistake - Time will tell - but it won't be because of his background as aa defensive coach.

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
It's obviously to early to tell, even when you compare him to other rookie coaches and their success. The question, ultimately, is how sustainable success is. We had the worst roster in the NFL by a pretty decent margin and were clearly rebuilding.

What stood out to me was how hard the team played. We were literally in just about every single football game until late in the 4th quarter. That says a lot in terms of how hard the team plays and how much they bought in. Penalties were low, I feel like we forced more turnovers than last year, though I haven't looked at the number.

Both Poles and Eberflus have constantly stated how much they want to build a perpetual winner and that starts with growing pains to create that foundation.

This offseason will be extremely important for Eberpoles. Let's see what he does in the draft, free agency and whether or not Fields makes a significant leap. But so far, I like what I see and I'm optimistic.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
You guys realize a defense helps Fields win games too?
And thats the type of thinking that keeps us in the basement. Offense wins games not defense. Sure you may have a game where an offense has an off night and the defense shuts it down but 9 out of 10 times when you get elite teams playing it comes down to whos offense can set the pace and force the other to keep it. This isnt 2000.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And thats the type of thinking that keeps us in the basement. Offense wins games not defense. Sure you may have a game where an offense has an off night and the defense shuts it down but 9 out of 10 times when you get elite teams playing it comes down to whos offense can set the pace and force the other to keep it. This isnt 2000.

We had games with 30+ pts and still lost them.

I wonder where the fault was in most of those. You need a competent defense

Montucky

Liked Posts:
You really cannot win it all with a garbage defense. Even that Chiefs team that won it had a lot of good players defensively.

Forty-six

Liked Posts:
The modern NFL is about offense and scoring points. Every recent major rules change favors the offensive side of the ball. I was disappointed to see the Bears go with a defensive guy in Flus. With that said, it's too early to determine if Flus is the guy or not. No coach would have made the flaming dumpster fire that we call the 2022 Chicago Bears competitive. Poles performed a necessary tear down of the team. After free agency and the draft, which theoretically will infuse talent into the team, it will then be up to Flus to build a team identity and a winning program.

I remain skeptical.

Bust

Liked Posts:
We had games with 30+ pts and still lost them.

I wonder where the fault was in most of those. You need a competent defense

so score 31 and win some shootouts. Other teams can pull it off. Duh Bears? not so much

2007 Muhsin Muhammad "Chicago is where wr's come to die"

Montucky

Liked Posts:
so score 31 and win some shootouts. Other teams can pull it off. Duh Bears? not so much

2007 Muhsin Muhammad "Chicago is where wr's come to die"
Only twice in the last twenty years has a team given up thirty or more points in the Super Bowl and won.

People have been saying since the Greatest Show On Turf Rams that the in the future the only way to win is offenses that fly across the field and cannot be stopped. As reliable as those teams have been making the postseason they have almost entirely failed to advance far into the playoffs and the few that have (including every one of them that has won a title) had a good defense.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
It was near malpractice to sign a defensive minded coach, and not even interview any young offensive candidates. Its like this franchise just wants to destroy any QB talent it gets. It should have been the first requirement when hiring a GM. Whats your plan? to surroung Justin Fields with everything he needs to succeed. Thats it. Anyone who said anything different should have never been hired.

Bust

Liked Posts:
This dude sounds like Allen Iverson's <practice> speech from back in the day.

HORRIFIC! CLOWN SHOW . . . RIGHT? right? Right? Right? Right?

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:

You are a clown.

Bust

Liked Posts:
You are a clown.

brb! gonna go count how many "right" Eberflus used in that small clip. Imagine how many he goes thru in a full day of headcoach talking points to his players.

My gawd, no wonder the players tuned him out towards the end.

22 times. #BRUTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Bust

Liked Posts:
Bears definitely got the "right" head coach . . .

It's his go to slang for the locker room. #brutal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yes, I know it's too early to tell, but there are some themes and trends regarding playoff teams that are worth looking at. It's no secret that the NFL is now an offensive league and defense does not win you championships anymore; QB play does.

When looking at the top offenses in the league, 10 of the top 11 offenses made the playoffs this year. The lone team that did not make the playoffs were the Detroit Lions. Bears were 28th, FYI.

Among the remaining teams in the playoffs, 7 of the 8 have offensive backgrounds. The 8th coach is Sean McDermott with the Buffalo Bills.

There were 10 new head coaches this season. Of those 10, 4 had defensive backgrounds (Lovie, Eberflus, Dennis Allen, Todd Bowles) and 6 came from the offensive side (Pederson, Daboll, Kevin O'Connell, McDaniel, Hackett, and McDaniels). One from each side got fired (Lovie and Hackett). One from the defensive side made the playoffs (25%), and four from the offensive side made the playoffs (67%).

The hit rate and importance seem to lean towards offense. Now, obviously each team had drastically different circumstances where none of these comparisons are apples-to-apples. I just think it's interesting and something to monitor going forward the success of teams and their coaches' coaching background.

Should the Bears have hired Pederson or Daboll instead of Eberflus? Only time will tell.
Yes they made a mistake. Eberflus will be like John Fox and Lovie Smith at best for his career. He may be a decent coach but he's never going to get the best out of Justin Fields.

Getsy was a massive failure of a hire.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Too soon to give an answer. Any of those coaches would have not done any better with the talen level we had on this teaam.

Bust

Liked Posts:

Mooney, you need to study harder, right?
Claypool, please study harder like white guy Cole, right?
Good Job Luke, right?

#PANIC JUSTIN IS FUCKED! High chance of 3rd new coordinator in year 4 of his rook deal.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes they made a mistake. Eberflus will be like John Fox and Lovie Smith at best for his career. He may be a decent coach but he's never going to get the best out of Justin Fields.

Getsy was a massive failure of a hire.
There is no way that anyone can say with any assurance that Getsy or Eberflus is a good or bad coach. I have doubts they either of them are good but I can say that they really didn't have any talent on either side of the ball.