Did the Bears Make a Mistake Hiring Eberflus?

Canth

Liked Posts:
As others have said, too early to say anything about Eberflus being a good or bad hire. If I remember right, Jacksonville was actually set to give him a 2nd interview right before the Bears hired him. So, there was interest from another team with a young qb.

In a general sense, I would have preferred an offensive background head coach that keeps the system the same for Fields. However, as we all know with Nagy and even worse saying what happened in Denver with Hackett, there is more to being a head coach than just knowing one side of the ball. In that sense, I think Eberflus seems decent in that CEO style head coach.

I just hope that if/when the Bears have success and/or Getsy moves on for any reason, that Eberflus has a plan for how to keep the offense effective through changes in the offensive coordinator. Ideally, he eventually finds himself a Tom Moore type of offensive coordinator like Dungy had - one those experienced, great older OC's that is basically content to just be an OC and stays with the team for years putting out a great offense.

Bust

Liked Posts:
"when we together, right. offense, defense and special teams, right. When we together the chicago bears are hard to beat"

WOW! THIS GOT ME FIRED UP JUST LISTENING TO IT!!!

IT'S LITERALLY KNUTE ROCKNE VIBES ALL OVER AGAIN!

RIGHT?

Myrradah

Liked Posts:
Not to burst the bubble. I appreciate all the info you have there ...

But....

NAGY!

Bust

Liked Posts:
Not to burst the bubble. I appreciate all the info you have there ...

But....

NAGY!

Future HOF coach Mike Tomlin only gave Mitchell 7 games before he perma benched him . . . is Nagy owed an apology?

Bust

Liked Posts:

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Yes, the quarterback/playcaller relationship is the most important dynamic in football. Hire the offensive mind and don't fuck with having to worry about hiring OC's every other year when they take jobs elsewhere or they end up being terrible and you have to replace them anyways. Quarterbacks can be ruined by having to learn new offenses all the time. The consistency is non-existent. There is absolutely no upside to hiring a defensive mind as a head coach.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Yes it was a mistake unless he can find his OC for 15 years like Josh McDaniels was for Bill. Oh and he also needs to have the goat qb, otherwise it’s a mistake.

Our ceiling is the Buffalo bills, you like that?

mecha

Liked Posts:
Yes, the quarterback/playcaller relationship is the most important dynamic in football. Hire the offensive mind and don't fuck with having to worry about hiring OC's every other year when they take jobs elsewhere or they end up being terrible and you have to replace them anyways. Quarterbacks can be ruined by having to learn new offenses all the time. The consistency is non-existent. There is absolutely no upside to hiring a defensive mind as a head coach.
you mean like Jay Cutler.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes it was a mistake unless he can find his OC for 15 years like Josh McDaniels was for Bill. Oh and he also needs to have the goat qb, otherwise it’s a mistake.

Our ceiling is the Buffalo bills, you like that?
I think our ceiling is the KC Chiefs. I see Fields as more of a Mahomes qb than the Buffalo guy. I think that Fields doesn't want to run over people but rather run past them.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
One wonders whether someone with such an idiotic take has watched games in the last 5 years

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yes matt nagy has made that clear lol

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I guess I just don't get the upside to a Matt Eberflus. If you're going to hire a defensive head coach, they should at least be a good CEO-type or bring a really good defensive mindset. As far as I can see, Eberflus does neither.

Yes, too early, et cetera, et cetera. But if we're judging on what we've seen so far, gentlemen, it's not good. We've already seen mismanagement of in-game situations, bristling over state secrets, a historically-shitty defense (not all his fault, but still, I'm not seeing where he's making anyone better than they otherwise would've been), and what I believe will turn out to be bad assistant coaching hires.

That said, I'd be happy to be proven wrong about any and all of those things, and I'm fine giving Eberflus that time to prove me wrong and show he's actually a good coach. I just doubt that will happen, to be honest, and I'm struggling to see what evidence there is to show otherwise.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I guess I just don't get the upside to a Matt Eberflus. If you're going to hire a defensive head coach, they should at least be a good CEO-type or bring a really good defensive mindset. As far as I can see, Eberflus does neither.

Yes, too early, et cetera, et cetera. But if we're judging on what we've seen so far, gentlemen, it's not good. We've already seen mismanagement of in-game situations, bristling over state secrets, a historically-shitty defense (not all his fault, but still, I'm not seeing where he's making anyone better than they otherwise would've been), and what I believe will turn out to be bad assistant coaching hires.

That said, I'd be happy to be proven wrong about any and all of those things, and I'm fine giving Eberflus that time to prove me wrong and show he's actually a good coach. I just doubt that will happen, to be honest, and I'm struggling to see what evidence there is to show otherwise.
On the other hand I don't see the crippling ego or bizarre sorts of behavior like we got under Nagy and Trestman. I know none of these coaches are particularly normal guys, but he at least seems self-aware and capable of adapting. He also showed enough leadership to at least keep the team from becoming an embarrassing trainwreck of finger-pointing and media shittaking despite ending the season on a ten game slide.

Its like Fields. I don't think its going to work out, but I saw the bare minimum this year (and am aware enough of the lack of viable alternatives...) to be comfortable giving another season towards evaluation. If there isn't a lot of improvement it should be relatively easy to walk away from either of them at the end of next season, which is ultimately what I think will happen.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There is no way that anyone can say with any assurance that Getsy or Eberflus is a good or bad coach. I have doubts they either of them are good but I can say that they really didn't have any talent on either side of the ball.
Getsy is a horrible play caller. He only looks better than he is because Nagy was even worse.

Myrradah

Liked Posts:
Future HOF coach Mike Tomlin only gave Mitchell 7 games before he perma benched him . . . is Nagy owed an apology?
Nope. he ran with him. felt as though he could coach him up. If a turd is a turd, call it a turd and move on. dont sink with it.

Also, the offensive schemes and play calls said more than enough.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Yes matt nagy has made that clear lol

Nagy wasn't part of the Mitch draft. Was force fed him the day he took over the headcoach gigs to MAKE IT WORK

Fast forward to 2022. A Hall of Fame Lock headcoach gave up on your boy Mitch in not even half a season, lol. You owe Matt Nagy an apology bruh

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Thats fine and I have similar doubts about all of the coaches including the unspecial teams. Next year will be the test laboratory. I expect a winning team next season. No excuses.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I see this thread keeps getting bumped. so I'll reply to it again.

you know how the Bears are where receivers/quarterbacks/etc. go to die? the same applies to coaches. the Bears are like kryptonite to established and proven good coaches.

the only coach that wasn't a first time hire in the role was John Fox, the guy that got to Super Bowls and had the misfortune of not winning them due to Adam Vinatieri being too clutch and Peyton Manning being too broken at that stage in his career. he also had ambitions of retirement upon his hiring by the Bears. beyond that they've all mostly sucked since 1992. which was a year that kind of ripped a hole in the fabric of the space-time continuum because it was also when Brett Favre emerged and the Bears had 50 quarterbacks which were like pieces of shit they threw at walls seeing if any would stick.

you weren't getting Daboll. build a bridge and get over it. his team were on par in terms of shittiness with the Bears and had a stretch of overachieving to make the playoffs and were subsequently destroyed. this happens like the 2020 Bears when they weren't playoff capable and get embarrassed on Nickelodeon. but hey, Nagy got them to the playoffs again!*

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2022 Bears never checked out. I don't think you can say the locker room is an issue under Eberflus. with such a strong talent differential they held in a lot of games they realistically shouldn't have.

This...

If the goal is to add leadership, integrity, discipline while developing and acquiring talent...

Then Eberflus has been perfect, makes a perfect fall guy, and yet is important to laying a solid concrete foundation for his successor.