Did the Bears Make a Mistake Hiring Eberflus?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
JFC. No. Let's get through the FA/draft. Give the man a bit of time.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, I know it's too early to tell, but there are some themes and trends regarding playoff teams that are worth looking at. It's no secret that the NFL is now an offensive league and defense does not win you championships anymore; QB play does.

When looking at the top offenses in the league, 10 of the top 11 offenses made the playoffs this year. The lone team that did not make the playoffs were the Detroit Lions. Bears were 28th, FYI.

Among the remaining teams in the playoffs, 7 of the 8 have offensive backgrounds. The 8th coach is Sean McDermott with the Buffalo Bills.

There were 10 new head coaches this season. Of those 10, 4 had defensive backgrounds (Lovie, Eberflus, Dennis Allen, Todd Bowles) and 6 came from the offensive side (Pederson, Daboll, Kevin O'Connell, McDaniel, Hackett, and McDaniels). One from each side got fired (Lovie and Hackett). One from the defensive side made the playoffs (25%), and four from the offensive side made the playoffs (67%).

The hit rate and importance seem to lean towards offense. Now, obviously each team had drastically different circumstances where none of these comparisons are apples-to-apples. I just think it's interesting and something to monitor going forward the success of teams and their coaches' coaching background.

Should the Bears have hired Pederson or Daboll instead of Eberflus? Only time will tell.
I think we'll find out next year if the Bears made a mistake or not.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
As of now- I still really like him.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yes, I know it's too early to tell, but there are some themes and trends regarding playoff teams that are worth looking at. It's no secret that the NFL is now an offensive league and defense does not win you championships anymore; QB play does.

When looking at the top offenses in the league, 10 of the top 11 offenses made the playoffs this year. The lone team that did not make the playoffs were the Detroit Lions. Bears were 28th, FYI.

Among the remaining teams in the playoffs, 7 of the 8 have offensive backgrounds. The 8th coach is Sean McDermott with the Buffalo Bills.

There were 10 new head coaches this season. Of those 10, 4 had defensive backgrounds (Lovie, Eberflus, Dennis Allen, Todd Bowles) and 6 came from the offensive side (Pederson, Daboll, Kevin O'Connell, McDaniel, Hackett, and McDaniels). One from each side got fired (Lovie and Hackett). One from the defensive side made the playoffs (25%), and four from the offensive side made the playoffs (67%).

The hit rate and importance seem to lean towards offense. Now, obviously each team had drastically different circumstances where none of these comparisons are apples-to-apples. I just think it's interesting and something to monitor going forward the success of teams and their coaches' coaching background.

Should the Bears have hired Pederson or Daboll instead of Eberflus? Only time will tell.
I actually do like Flus but Daboll was my guy the whole time that i wanted. Of course there were a few other names i had on my list but none higher than Daboll. I have to think we would know a lot more about other parts of Fields' game if we had Daboll and his staff coaching him.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
He was perfect for '22 - TBD on how well he coaches a team actually trying to win games.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
It is too early but if I had to answer now I'd say without question they hired the wrong guy.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
@RiDLer80 Baltimore made the playoffs. You mentioned they didn’t.
Also note that the defensive lead teams have absolute garbage and/or mediocrity at the QB position.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd argue that coaches like Doug P and the Vikings coach have some issues coming up considering their cap room

For example, the Vikings defense is old and not good, their up against the cap and they still have Jefferson coming with a huge extension

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:

The bears had zero shot at Daboll. None. He had the inside track on the Giants gig and took it ASAP.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I wanted Daboll because of his work with Josh Allen. Seeing what he's done with Daniel Jones has just reaffirmed to me that Fields would've excelled with him.

I don't think it's fair to really evaluate him or his staff this year given the complete lack of talent on the team. There are some things that drove me crazy (time management, deciding when to be aggressive and conservative) but whatever, it was intended to be a bottom out year and they succeeded in that regard.

I'm very curious how they will go about this offseason. They've got the #1 pick, a ton of cap space but also a ton of questions marks across the roster. If Poles is out there making splash signings left and right, it tells me Eberflus better win immediately. If they're still being picky, adding guys on 1 year deals, then he's probably got some time to build which tells me they're doing things right. I just do not want them to overspend on marginal improvement players to long-term deals because then this season will have been wasted. Add the right pieces and if you suck again next year, at least you got guys that should help in 2024 when you can continue to aggressively add to the team.

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
I'd argue Eberflus was the perfect hire.

This was bound to be a down year, in the middle of a transition plan away from Ted Phillips, and possibly away from the McCaskey ownership.

Flus is cheap, compatible, and disposable once Ginny dies and the dust settles.

I don't think the current Bears organization is built to do much than be easily disposable once there's finally new ownership.

They want to keep being a doormat to build up draft capital for new owners to build a new team for a new stadium.

It hasn't stopped any of the waddling fucktards from guzzling down 12$ Miller Lites for 8 Sundays a year.
You been drinking the tap water bro?

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Whether he is a good coach or not, hiring a defensive minded coach just doesn’t make sense to me in a league where offensive coordinator’s are poached from teams all the time a defensive coordinator’s have much long tenures.

Not to mention we had the worst defense in the league and the coach was supposed to be known for getting more out of less talented defensive players.

Last point, a head coach is going to have some influence over the gm in expressing positions of need and he’s probably going to press more for defense than offense just bc that’s what he knows.

I just don’t get it. Brian Daboll was the mastermind behind the leagues Best or second best offense with a smilies type of qb and we pick a guy who wants to change the defense all over again.

I don’t get it

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
The hits principle in my opinion is fucking stupid, sounds sophomoric and every team grades loafing and teaches a system of their own too.

I prefer they focused on tackling fundamentals bc there were tons of times where guys trying to play the ball would miss tackles or let them gain more yards.

Tackle right and tackle hard. Vast majority of fumbles come from hitting qb’s. Rb’s seem to not fumble that much considering the amount of Carries they have.

How did the Vic fanfio at head coach work out and he’s a much superior and proven d coordinator than eberflus.

I also guarantee that Poles did not and would not have picked him for the job.

Brian Daboll just made the second round of playoffs with an equally bad team. Proof

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
It's early.
My biggest thing is have the players checked out on him?
You could see early on that players did buy in and played hard. Then the injuries and trades happened and the fucking wheels fell off.
So this offseason, are players going into workouts and camp like "fuck this"?
Are they excited to build off of? What? 3 wins? Do they wonder if they are part of the solution or a stop gap?
Once they realize Elderflubst isn't sticking around, they will loaf.
So did they buy in like Giants players did with Daboll?

My answer is no. They bought in for half a season and then checked out. Elberflusch better get out the speech book and practice.

These players need a leader. Players want a coach. They want to work hard. And they can smell bullshit.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I think Flus was a great hire. The defense was coached extremely well this season. He hired a competent OC. It was just a tank year so people are underestimating him. I think he is one of the better defensive minds out there and it seems like he can hire a competent staff.
I agree with your points all the great coaches started somewhere. He seems to be a leader, motivator, changes and adjusts and looks at the big picture, given time I think he will be a gem.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Whether he is a good coach or not, hiring a defensive minded coach just doesn’t make sense to me in a league where offensive coordinator’s are poached from teams all the time a defensive coordinator’s have much long tenures.

Not to mention we had the worst defense in the league and the coach was supposed to be known for getting more out of less talented defensive players.

Last point, a head coach is going to have some influence over the gm in expressing positions of need and he’s probably going to press more for defense than offense just bc that’s what he knows.

I just don’t get it. Brian Daboll was the mastermind behind the leagues Best or second best offense with a smilies type of qb and we pick a guy who wants to change the defense all over again.

I don’t get it
The defense was playing, statistically, above average before the trades. To even have them around average even with Quinn & Smith was an accomplishment

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
The defense was playing, statistically, above average before the trades. To even have them around average even with Quinn & Smith was an accomplishment
Still finished as the worst defense in the league. Bringing in Alan Williams was a terrible decision.

Again, defense doesn’t win anymore in this league.

If you get a qb that stays with team for a long time you can eventually build a great defense and that will help. But without a QB and good to great offense, no chance.

Even running the ball whcih seems to be a big part of his overall philosophy isn’t important. We had the best running game in nfl by a pretty large margin and still had the worst offense and won 3 games!

Bust

Liked Posts:
everyone's aware that the Bears are a dumpster fire. you weren't going to attract anyone super good to be the head coach.

Daboll interviewed with the Bears tho . . . so it wasn't like there wasn't interest. Just like Bruce Arians wanted to coach the bears back in the day.

Bears just blow bruh

Look at this shit!, #BRUTAL