Did we witness halftime adjustments yesterday?

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The offense in the first half - atrocious. Not much else to say.

Basically every yard they gained in the entire game came from the second half. We haven't seen this for several years so I'm confused. Did Getsy and Eberflus sit down and change the game plan??

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
The offense in the first half - atrocious. Not much else to say.

Basically every yard they gained in the entire game came from the second half. We haven't seen this for several years so I'm confused. Did Getsy and Eberflus sit down and change the game plan??

I think so? I wouldn't even know what halftime adjustments look like though.

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean… They literally looked like a HS team in first half. Make adjustments, show heart, and you can win games like that. Nobody is saying this is a playoff caliber club, but wins like that prove worthy in the long run. Plus my old man is a 9ers fan. Suck it pops!

msadows

Liked Posts:
The main adjustment you saw is that the rain slowed and the field conditions got better for like......30 minutes.

Then it downpoured like crazy once the bears took the lead. Must be a sign the guy above is a bears fan.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Completely different in the second half, and it was not just the offense, the defense too.

stallan54

Liked Posts:
The coaches are to credit as much as the players for the W. I don't remember the Bears making such a dramatic change of pace/momentum after halftime in a long time (Cardinals game '06?).. DomRob is going to be special. Give him another game or two to get used to the NFL and he will be a huge complement to Quinn and Smith.

I loved the Fields rollouts. Getsy should have gotten a game ball too, but Eb & Poles deserved it. Packers look totally beatable. Can't wait for next weekend already!

BBBF

Liked Posts:
The main adjustment you saw is that the rain slowed and the field conditions got better for like......30 minutes.

Then it downpoured like crazy once the bears took the lead. Must be a sign the guy above is a bears fan.

Yeah, I'm not saying adjustments weren't made, but I can't discount that the rain slowed down, Bears capitalized on broken play and after a horrible half they were only down 3, which lifted the whole team up.

I don't wont to take anything away from coaching because I also think so much of that game gave Eberflus credibility: HITS resulted in turnovers. Practiced scramble plays, which resulted in the game changing TD, not too many penalties and all the hard work resulted in stamina, while SF's defense was gassed.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I kind of think the coaches got some trust in Fields with the Pettis throw, trust that was lost with the interception.
It's really hard to say because we don't know what options Fields has going into a play. The trust could've been him trusting himself after that throw.

It could've been adjustment but in the 3rd up to that TD nothing really changed, run, short pass, run/penalty, short pass, run, broken play/TD. It wasn't until then the plays seemed to change.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
It looked like we were more shotgun heavy in the first half, then went much more play action, bootleg and RPO in the second. Big ups to Getsy for never abandoning the run even though the 9ers were really attacking Montgomery.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It looked like we were more shotgun heavy in the first half, then went much more play action, bootleg and RPO in the second. Big ups to Getsy for never abandoning the run even though the 9ers were really attacking Montgomery.

This.

The Bears adjusted to the 9ers consistently playing 8 in the box. They put so many people up on the line to stop the run. Even the DBs were up close to help against the run...Bears pulled out the play action and went under center more including a few i formations. (somewhere Nagy is smiling)

msadows

Liked Posts:
This.

The Bears adjusted to the 9ers consistently playing 8 in the box. They put so many people up on the line to stop the run. Even the DBs were up close to help against the run...Bears pulled out the play action and went under center more including a few i formations. (somewhere Nagy is smiling)

Yea, they dared the bears to pass.

If anyone rewatches the all22 none of our guys were getting open, and they started keeping EQ/Kmet in to block since fields was getting destroyed early on.

Such a shit game to take anything from other than this team showing no quit. 100% under nagy this would be a blowout loss in the 2nd.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes and Fields calmed down
Whatever happened, Fields go out of the pocket and created space for himself. It was clear to me that keeping him in the pocket was bad against SF. Especially against a very good defensive team like SF.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kudus to the drafting of Brister and Gordon in the off season. Those two guys played the entire game and played excellent over-all.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly, I'd be happy if they never used shotgun again. I'm sure there will be situations, but "play action, bootleg and RPO" is the way to go. Unless the shotgun sets up the run game in some way I don't know, move Fields around, get him out of the pocket.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Honestly, I'd be happy if they never used shotgun again. I'm sure there will be situations, but "play action, bootleg and RPO" is the way to go. Unless the shotgun sets up the run game in some way I don't know, move Fields around, get him out of the pocket.
Shotgun has it's time and place, but especially with Fields and Montgomery/Herbert and a line that can't just stone pass rushers on a regular basis, this offense needs to be built around the run game and Fields' dual threat.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

I always got the impression Bears like shotgun because they don't want a competent oline. Instead of shotgun for fuck it, I'm going deep it's to do a quick dump before all the free rushers can get to the QB.
I don't know if that's right, just the impression I get. At least since it was to keep Ortman from tripping over their own feet.