Ditka on Mike and Mike this morning

dakbear

Liked Posts:
Ditka on Mike and Mike this morning said "the Bears have no concept how to play defense." To me this is an indictment on our coaching staff that despite age and injuries, our players are not being coached to be in the right position to make plays. By the way, not that it matters as much, Tim Hasselbeck said that Bears defensive performance was disgusting. This is my first post ever here-so go easy on me.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ditka on Mike and Mike this morning said "the Bears have no concept how to play defense." To me this is an indictment on our coaching staff that despite age and injuries, our players are not being coached to be in the right position to make plays. By the way, not that it matters as much, Tim Hasselbeck said that Bears defensive performance was disgusting. This is my first post ever here-so go easy on me.

It was pathetic.

More than coaching and injuries I point the finger at effort level and desire.

Our DL was simply getting bent over and destroyed by the Rams OL, which is not that good to start with, and their answer was to line up again and get bent over again.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Once again..da Coach hit the nail

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

dakbear. You don't understand. The head coach is offensive minded so that excuses him from blame here. So I hope when you say "coaching staff" you weren't actually including the head coach.

Zhang Liao

Liked Posts:
Having no concept: Yes, I´m really wondering if they had any game plan on Defense yesterday.
Everyone knew that the Rams run game is the number 1 weapon. Result: Being annihilated by the run.

And that´s why I´m starting to question Tucker. Yes, aging players and injuries are a problem but still a performance like yesterday is not acceptable.
You can not even call it bad. Would be too much praise.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
dakbear. You don't understand. The head coach is offensive minded so that excuses him from blame here. So I hope when you say "coaching staff" you weren't actually including the head coach.

To be honest with you, I'm not sure Hasselbeck or many of these talking heads WATCH the games - they just look at highlights and stats sheets.

They'll routinely talk about the Culter injury (or Aaron Rodgers), but NOT mention the injuries on defense.

The Bears D is terrible, but that's about what you'd expect when you have 3 of your 4 Pro-Bowlers out. When you have multiple out of the season injuries. When you have multiple new guys who have never played before and under a new coach. When you have multiple rookies in key positions. When you have guys off the street (Cohen, Bass) playing key spots. When you have a perennial Pro Bowl play caller (who was having one of his best seasons) out.

Yes, they suck, but there's a reason they suck. You can't talk about the offense and Jay's injury without talking about the injuries on D. The injuries on D are SIGNIFICANTLY more hurting to the Bears than the injury to Jay.

And Ditka is still a blowhard. Most overrated coach in the history of the NFL.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Having no concept: Yes, I´m really wondering if they had any game plan on Defense yesterday.
Everyone knew that the Rams run game is the number 1 weapon. Result: Being annihilated by the run.

And that´s why I´m starting to question Tucker. Yes, aging players and injuries are a problem but still a performance like yesterday is not acceptable.
You can not even call it bad. Would be too much praise.

They had a plan. They simply don't have the players to execute it. Yes, it's a lack of coaching, but it's a lack of talent. A defense full of on the street/practice guys and rookies (with the 3 pro-bowlers on IR) is probably going to suck.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
It was pathetic.

Our DL was simply getting bent over and destroyed by the Rams OL, which is not that good to start with, and their answer was to line up again and get bent over again.

I think the effort and desire thing is just hyperbole. It's very simple. Its about talent. Period.

The Bears simply lack talent on D - whether it's old guys who can't play anymore (Pep), draft busts (McL, Paea, Conte), inexperienced rookies (Green, Bostic) or guys from the couch (Cohen, etc).

The better team is usually the more TALENTED team.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I hope they draft 3 tackles and hopefully two can start next year. It's a glaring weakness and I don't think I'd put any trust in Paea, Melton or Collins. There are a lot of holes to fill defensively. I also don't think Tucker has shown any reason to keep him even with all of the injuries.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

How does this dynamic work in Pukeland. You know like when a dinged AP and Toby Gerhart run up and down the field. Does McCarthy get any blame or is it all Capers.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
They had a plan. They simply don't have the players to execute it. Yes, it's a lack of coaching, but it's a lack of talent. A defense full of on the street/practice guys and rookies (with the 3 pro-bowlers on IR) is probably going to suck.

it is a total lack of coaching. it is one thing to say these are off the street guys and they are getting beat physically, but there was nothing but confusion on defense the entire game. hardly ever was a defensive player in a position to make a play, and when you see that the other team is purposely running plays against the weakest player on your team, McCellin, and you do nothing about, then it is ALL on the coaching.

dakbear

Liked Posts:
It was pathetic.

I would agree with your assessment of effort level and desire. I would also add this-and I know that you played the game-the coaches do have to find a way to instill the desire and effort in this defensive group. I think it was time for Urlacher to go-butI do not think any defensive players have stepped up to lead this group since he has left. Peppers apparently is not that kind of person and of course Briggs and Tillman are out. Don't specifically know what the answer is, but I bet AP is licking his chops for Sunday. I am going to be at that game and would like nothing better than for the Bears to come ready to play.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
it is a total lack of coaching. it is one thing to say these are off the street guys and they are getting beat physically, but there was nothing but confusion on defense the entire game. hardly ever was a defensive player in a position to make a play, and when you see that the other team is purposely running plays against the weakest player on your team, McCellin, and you do nothing about, then it is ALL on the coaching.

It didn't really matter where they ran it, but yes, McClellin is going to be run at. That tends to happen to a DE when you don't even need a T to account for him.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Correct..Its one thing for an inferior player to line up and get beat..But the Bears are hardly in a position to get beat one on one...The spot is empty most of the time cause the player is out of position..This is coaching IMO

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
Correct..Its one thing for an inferior player to line up and get beat..But the Bears are hardly in a position to get beat one on one...The spot is empty most of the time cause the player is out of position..This is coaching IMO

And just to throw one more log on the coaching fire, I do not agree with the Testman decission to go for it on 4th and 1 at the goal line and not kick the FG, but I will give him a pass if his reason is truly that he felt his defense could not stop anything, but the play/plays that bothers me the most about Trestman, and makes me rasie my eyes as to weather or not he is a bonifide HC, was the decission to pass the ball at the end of the half when there was 22 seconds left on the clock. In this situation you have the ball with 1:12 left on the clock and the ball at your 20. You run the first play, so that tells me you are thinking about just ending the half and going to the locker room to regroup. Then you run again on second down and you lose 7 yards, now the decission to run on second down for sure says you sare wanting to get out of the half. But the Rams call TO, there is 22 seconds left, and the Rams still have 1 TO. So on 3rd and 17 you decide to throw a swing pass instead of running again to force the Rams to use thier last TO, plus you run off some addtional time off the clock. So now the Rams get to save the TO and they get the ball back with enough time to throw down the middle, which they did with success all day, and then call a TO to try a FG.

Now people will say, so what if he tried the pass, but my point would be it flys in the face of the logic Trestman used last week to explain why he did not use the TO at the end of the game. He explained in so much detail how his decission to not use the TO in that game was based off all these percentage reasons, he was able to run all that through his mind at that end of the game, with the game on the line, and things are so fast and furious. Yet what happens when you attempt a pass, it is either incomplete, intercepted, or complete, so about a 33% chance of success, yet a run has a much higher success rate. So why not run the ball in that situation, use up 6/7 seconds to get the clock to maybe 15 seconds and force the Rams to use the last TO?????

And before anyone jumps on me about this, ask yourself first, were you thinking the Rams might just score again when they got the ball back with time and a TO, I sure felt they were going to get a chance to kick a FG.

JoSeCuERvO

CBMB Crossover
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando City SC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
And just to throw one more log on the coaching fire, I do not agree with the Testman decission to go for it on 4th and 1 at the goal line and not kick the FG, but I will give him a pass if his reason is truly that he felt his defense could not stop anything, but the play/plays that bothers me the most about Trestman, and makes me rasie my eyes as to weather or not he is a bonifide HC, was the decission to pass the ball at the end of the half when there was 22 seconds left on the clock. In this situation you have the ball with 1:12 left on the clock and the ball at your 20. You run the first play, so that tells me you are thinking about just ending the half and going to the locker room to regroup. Then you run again on second down and you lose 7 yards, now the decission to run on second down for sure says you sare wanting to get out of the half. But the Rams call TO, there is 22 seconds left, and the Rams still have 1 TO. So on 3rd and 17 you decide to throw a swing pass instead of running again to force the Rams to use thier last TO, plus you run off some addtional time off the clock. So now the Rams get to save the TO and they get the ball back with enough time to throw down the middle, which they did with success all day, and then call a TO to try a FG.

Now people will say, so what if he tried the pass, but my point would be it flys in the face of the logic Trestman used last week to explain why he did not use the TO at the end of the game. He explained in so much detail how his decission to not use the TO in that game was based off all these percentage reasons, he was able to run all that through his mind at that end of the game, with the game on the line, and things are so fast and furious. Yet what happens when you attempt a pass, it is either incomplete, intercepted, or complete, so about a 33% chance of success, yet a run has a much higher success rate. So why not run the ball in that situation, use up 6/7 seconds to get the clock to maybe 15 seconds and force the Rams to use the last TO?????

And before anyone jumps on me about this, ask yourself first, were you thinking the Rams might just score again when they got the ball back with time and a TO, I sure felt they were going to get a chance to kick a FG.

Couldnt agree more. i was saying it all day about this game. it was one mistake after another. Yup, i thought they would score to end the half, that was a bonehead call.

MaoTenDoo

Rabid Homer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trestman is struggling to find the right balance between aggressive & conservative play-calling. I believe he will learn from this & adjust accordingly. We all knew there would be growing pains with this new Offense, and we've had glimpses of its amazing potential. On Defense, though, Emery needs to make some wholesale changes during the off-season. I have zero faith in Tucker.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How does this dynamic work in Pukeland. You know like when a dinged AP and Toby Gerhart run up and down the field. Does McCarthy get any blame or is it all Capers.

That's an excellent question Midway Jay. I think Capers is riding on being part of the Super Bowl team. Outside of a few game stretch in a Super Bowl run the team has been mediocre to crap on defense. And ultimately that falls under the blame of the GM, HC or DC. I think the defensive play of the Packers has been largely unacceptable and if I was McCarthy I would relieve Capers of his duties and go another direction.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
Trestman is struggling to find the right balance between aggressive & conservative play-calling. I believe he will learn from this & adjust accordingly. We all knew there would be growing pains with this new Offense, and we've had glimpses of its amazing potential. On Defense, though, Emery needs to make some wholesale changes during the off-season. I have zero faith in Tucker.

I am not giving up on Testman by any means. For sure the offense finally looks like it belongs in the current centruy of football. I need for him to to grow as an NFL level HC and forget most of the stuff from the CFL, some of the things going on make me wonder though, that Detroit game was a situation where you had the pefect opportunity to ride a backup QB that was, for the most part, gettting the job done. And if he continued to get the job done then you coulkd let Cutler heal properly. If McCown faultered then you bring in Cutler. But the decission the start Cutler, and then let him play even though he was showing obvious signs that he was hurt makes me question what Trestman is thinking as a HC.