Do the Bears let Pace draft another QB?

Speed

Liked Posts:
Should they? No. Will he? Most likely. I think the McCaskey's like him and if the Bears are in the playoffs George won't see any reason to rock the boat.

Pace get's up in front of the media. "Picking a QB is a hit/miss process, etc...." and I think he gets another crack at it, but the narrative will be that the next QB is "Nagy's guy".

Luke

Liked Posts:
Trask, Purdy, maybe Costello after the 1st round.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
bruh...signed Hicks off the scrap heap, may have found himself a QB in Foles, Graham is paying dividends. Look at the full picture.

Eddie Goldman, 2nd round
Cody Whitehair, 2nd round
James Daniel's, 2nd round
Anthony Miller, 2nd round
Jaylon Johnson, 2nd round
Adrian Amos, 5th round
Nick Kwiatkowski, 4th round
Deon Bush, 4th round
Jordan Howard, 5th round
Eddie Jackson, 4th round
Tarek Cohen, 4th round
Bilai Nichols, 5th round
Javon Wims, 7th round
Darnell Mooney, 5th round
etc
etc
Gotta say the Graham signing has been better than expected. He's a decent weapon in the red zone and short yardage situations.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
There will still be talent in the 1st. He can sit behind Foles for 1 yr and learn.

Jackson
Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Watson
Prescott
Carr
Cousins
Fitzpatrick
Bridgewater
Roethlisberger
Haskins
Lock
Foles

All current starting QBs who weren’t drafted in the top 10 of the 1st round.

so you think we finish middle of the pack? if foles is healthy i think the bears make the playoffs and assuming a 1st rd exit that would be around pick 20 or so...now thanks to covid, not every college team is playing which makes it even harder to evaluate not that it wasnt hard already...this is not a deep QB class imo...lawrence and fields at this point in time are top 5 locks, lance, ehlinger and costello are the only qb's that show franchise potential imo. Newman, Trask and Mond dont do it for me and lance scares me in that he's like trubisky, a 1yr starter, locks onto first read and doesnt always go through his progressions.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
some of the noobs here forget the Phil Emery days....

Only five of Emery's 20 picks as general manager are still on the team, and only three of them are current starters. And one of them is a punter! To put that into perspective, seven of those 20 picks are currently out of the league.

In short, Emery’s draft selection doomed the Bears for years to come. His successor, Ryan Pace, is still having to deal with the 15-mile high pile of garbage that he left behind. Pace has had to rely mostly on his own draft picks, as well as free agent additions, for help.

In the most depressing list I've had to write to date, here is a ranking of all 20 of Phil Emery's draft picks.

20. Brandon Hardin, S
Hardin, a 2012 third-round pick, never played a down in the NFL. No-brainer here.

19. Evan Rodriguez, FB/TE
Rodriguez had four career receptions for 21 yards. That's it. Not too impressive for a fourth-round pick.

18. Greg McCoy, CB
McCoy never played a down in the NFL, but his seventh-round status saves him from falling any lower on this list.

17. David Fales, QB
Fales stayed on with the Bears on and off for three years, so there's that. But why use a draft pick on a quarterback who's only going to throw five passes in his career?

16. Ego Ferguson, DT
The selection of Ferguson was a head-scratcher then, and it still is today. The 2014 second-rounder only started in one game with the team due to poor performance and injuries and was released this offseason.

15. Brock Vereen, S
Vereen started four games with the Bears in his rookie year, but was released early in the 2015 season.

14. Khaseem Greene, LB
Once thought of as the steal of the 2013 draft, Greene started six games in his two years with the Bears, but was cut in May of 2015.

13. Isaiah Frey, CB
Frey was never anything special, but he did start seven games in his two years with the Bears. There have been worse sixth-round picks.

12. Cornelius Washington, DL
It was always a matter of "what if" with Washington. CornWash had talent, but couldn't stay healthy. The 2013 sixth-rounder had 30 tackles, three sacks and played in 31 games.

11. Jon Bostic, LB
Bostic started 17 games with the Bears and racked up 103 tackles. Although he never lived up to his second-round hype, he could've done worse.

10. Will Sutton, DT
Like Bostic, Sutton didn't live up to his Day 2 status. He did start 18 games and have 60 tackles, though. The Bears' switch to a 3-4 defense really affected his play.

9. Shea McClellin, DE/OLB/ILB
You know a group of players is bad when Shea McClellin is this high on the list.

The 2012 first-round pick only had 6.5 sacks with the Bears, but he started in 31 games and had 161 tackles with the team. His stats are better than some players higher on this list, but his lofty draft status drops him a bit.

8. Marquess Wilson, WR
Marquess Wilson could've been better than he was with the Bears. Nevertheless, he was still decent. The 2013 seventh-rounder had 56 receptions, 777 yards and three touchdowns in 31 games (14 starts) with the team.

7. Jordan Mills, OT
Mills wasn't great during his time with the Bears. Still, he managed to start in every game he played in the navy and orange. Although he only stayed on the team for two years, he was more reliable than a lot of players on this list.

6. Ka’Deem Carey, RB
Carey is the first player on this list who is still on the Bears. We've gone through 14 players without reaching a player still on the roster. Gadzooks.

The 2014 fourth-rounder might be in jeopardy of losing a roster spot this year. He has 111 carries, 443 yards, two touchdowns and a receiving touchdown. Not great, but hey, it's better than what a lot of other people on this list can say.

5. Pat O’Donnell, P
A punter made it into the top five. I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

O'Donnell has been a below-average punter during his tenure with the Bears. He has had 209 punts for 9,198 yards, along with 72 punts inside the 20-yard line. Whether he will be their long-term punter remains to be seen, but his roster spot seems safe for this year.

4. Kyle Fuller, CB
This is just sad.

Fuller had a great rookie season, in which he had four interceptions, 64 tackles and 10 pass deflections. His sophomore year wasn't as great - two interceptions, 55 tackles, nine deflections - but his 2016 season (or lack, thereof) raised some concerns. He missed the entire with an injury that could've been recovered from way earlier than it did. The 2014 first-rounder might not even be on the roster come Week 1.

3. Charles Leno Jr., OT
Charles Leno Jr. was Phil Emery’s lone late-round gem.

The 2014 sixth-rounder has started in 30 of the 38 games he's played; 16 of those starts came last year at left tackle. He has been slowly improving over time, and he may be due for a solid pay day next offseason in free agency.

2. Alshon Jeffery, WR
Alongside Brandon Marshall, Jeffery helped form arguably the most dominant wide receiver duo in the NFL for two years. After Marshall left, the 2012 second-rounder was easily the most talented offensive weapon the team had. Although he left for Philadelphia this offseason, the one-time Pro Bowler's contributions with the Bears will go down in history.

1. Kyle Long, OG
All three of Phil Emery's first-round picks were viewed predominantly as reaches. Only one of them truly paid off.

Long has been the heart and soul of the Bears since he joined the team in 2013. The three-time Pro Bowler has been a positive impact for the team on and off the field. He has been a dominant force in the trenches, and hence, he is the best draft pick in Phil Emery's otherwise awful tenure as Bears general manager.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Trask, Purdy, maybe Costello after the 1st round.
Id like Trask especially sitting a year behind Foles. I read a scouting report on him and loved this :

"Trask's nickname should be 'Textbook' because his footwork in the pocket is consistently on point, and more importantly, he gets the ball out on time, accurately, and he rarely looks confused by what he sees pre-snap."

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Were going to be picking in the 20s probably. Could we get a franchise QB there? I don't think so. I think we don't draft one next year cause our draft position. Probably in 2022

Please tell Drew Brees, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Lamar Jackson, Brett Favre and Dak Prescott that. There are so many more but I’m sick of typing.

coolio

Liked Posts:
Please tell Drew Brees, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Lamar Jackson, Brett Favre and Dak Prescott that. There are so many more but I’m sick of typing.

I don't have faith in this franchise to have too find a diamond in the rough. Do you? They've had 30+ years of bad QB play.

mbison

Liked Posts:
Bears will make the playoffs this year so unfortunately Pace will stay at least another season. The Bears have a first round pick so unfortunately Pace will be in charge of next years draft

Canth

Liked Posts:
Yeah, if the Bears make the playoffs and especially win a playoff game or two...Pace and Nagy will be around for a while longer and certainly long enough to pick the next QB to develop.

Personally, I have no problem with Nagy and his coaches having say into the evaluation and picking of the next qb. I know that Reid rightfully gets a lot of credit, but I am sure that Nagy was a part of the evaluation of Mahomes and their decision to move up to get him. At the least, it means he has seen how the process could/should work. And if DeFlippo is still around, I would think he could have pretty good input for picking a qb and then also developing the guy.

I also get the feeling that Pace has slightly changed his drafting philosophy. Certainly, he still prioritizes physical traits, but I would like to think (hope?) that he is learning how to match that with proven production slightly better especially for those early round picks. At this time, with this defense and some of the aging parts on offense, they need to avoid the one year wonder guys that have all the physical traits you could want, but just have not shown they can repeat any of it.

Also, imo, Pace -really- needs to use at least one pick in the first 3 rounds on an offensive tackle so that whatever qb he drafts doesn't get killed early and often. Leno and Massie are not bad, but they are also not long term solutions to that line at this point in time.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I thought Pace was drafting a quarterback every year?

fridges fatboys

Liked Posts:
Question in title

I know fans here would prefer he didn't, but do you think management will let Pace take another shot at drafting/developing a QB?

This link should answer for you. Pace talks about how Mitch can see the whole field. Show's he doesn't know didly poo about drafting and scouting QB's!

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If the Bears make the playoffs, I think it would be unlikely Pace gets fired. Given where the Bears are likely to pick, they probably will not be picking a legitimate franchise type QB in the draft next year anyway.

Correct, because a late 1st round pick has not recently won the MVP award.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yup.

The only real thing I blame nagy for is the Mitch miss. I understood it. I get it, he had a higher upside than watson, and he was less risky than mahomes.

It wasn't the guy I wanted, but I understood it.

The hit rate in the first round is 50%. I'd say he probably has a 50% hit rate as far as EVERY round thus far(That might be an exaggeration, but he found some real late round gems that play for other teams now too).

No matter what, he built a superbowl caliber defense, and has retooled this offense from the dead. The issue has always been the qb position.

What did Mitch have that made him have higher upside then Watson (that’s a BS narrative)? Pace did a terrible terrible job of QB evaluation. If upside was a reason then no QB had more upside and raw talent then Mahomes coming out. Quit making excuses for Pace.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
What did Mitch have that made him have higher upside then Watson (that’s a BS narrative)? Pace did a terrible terrible job of QB evaluation. If upside was a reason then no QB had more upside and raw talent then Mahomes coming out. Quit making excuses for Pace.

Hopefully the field scout who initially introduced him to mitch and made him believe is no longer employed

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been on here for years asking the Pace haters to tell which GM's they think are the best to ever do it so i could go show them all the mistakes those GM's have made but it's weird cause every time i would ask that those posters would just stop posting about it or act like i never asked...LOL

There's no such thing as a GM that doesn't make multiple mistakes and does it almost every single offseason.

How TH can BearsDen dislike this? Asking for a better plan if you want Pace gone? How the hell is this bad?

Some just want change for the sake of change & to burn things down with no care for looking at the data or comparables to best performers or industry as a whole. Then again, many don't understand or care about SCIENCE either, so it's no surprise when pissy ignorance leaks into the well of sports also.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
*Disclaimer: This comment was made only 2 pages into this mess of a thread, as I was late to the party.

Many have said; every GM has misses. Some can't accept that b/c they're asses are too chapped to use brains or understand how things work. Some here seem to get it, which is nice!

Too bad dumbshit media like this recent hack continue to stir the clickbait fire. They'd love nothing more than years of more turmoil with the front office & fans losing their shit as Bears struggle on.
Opinion: Chicago Bears QB Mitchell Trubisky shouldn't be the only one losing his job

Same meatballers who also think Mack sucks and isn't worth his trade/contract. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
RE to that:

(rant over)

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Pace has been meh.

But I've never understood why drafting a bust at QB in the top 5 should get you any more fired than drafting a non-QB bust in the top 5.

If anything, front offices should be encouraged to take more swings at landing a QB.
He hasn’t been meh. You like most around here forgot what we had when he walked in the door.
Kyle long, Fuller, and Alshon, the entire defense is new. The QBs every WR and every O lineman, every tight end!?

he had to draft every player except for maybe 6?

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im sure pace will draft another qb if one he wants is available he is the gm after all