Do we address much on offense this off season?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you're going to replace the best rookie tackle in the 2022 draft. That would be just fucking stupid.

A dominant right tackle with upside potential to play left in case of injury would be ideal whether in draft or free agency.

I'm for signing the best free agent center and drafting a good RT/LG prospect in first 3 rounds.

If Borom wins the job great. We will find a use for the next man up soon enough.

But the 49ers right tackle already running outside zone and drafting a better center is also a great option.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The oline has options in FA and the draft. I could see us adding 2-3 new starters to our oline.

Our best option for a #1 WR is likely going to be a trade. And it looks like some WRs will be available via trade. Even if it's a 2 year rental until we draft a #1 WR, Hopkins or Evans would be welcomed additions for the right price. Tee Higgins would probably cost more, but ideally if we trade for him, we lock him up long-term.

There are options. I think we can address the DL, OL, and WR. It would be best to punt on LB/CB/TE until next season(unless we can grab a steal from somewhere). We really need new offensive and defensive lines, and to get Fields an elite receiving weapon to help his progression in the passing game for next season. If we focus on those things, I think we could actually contend for a playoff spot.
Remember that a good TE in the draft can help the receiving corps and/or the blocking, hopefully it would be an "and, not an "or".

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
PLenty of good talent on the offensive line and Wideout in this draft. Its just there aren't any elite surefire tackles or wideouts.

This is as deep of a 2nd/3rd round for WR's as any class
Bullshit. this WR class is weak. doubt any more than 1 or 2 amount to average

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been so focused on OL/DL/WR, that I haven't even really kept up with anyone else. If we can get some value picks later on, that would be perfect.
has a chance to be a great CB class

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Oline help is available through FA and draft. Wr help will come from a huge trade that Poles has planned. Book it Danno!

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Jordan Addison
Quinton Johnston
Zay Flowers
Jaylin Hyatt
Jaxon Smith Njigba
Cedric Tillman
Josh Downs
Michael Mayer
Darnell Washington
Dalton Kincaid
Cameron Latu
John Michael Schmitz
Olu Oluatimi
Ricky Stromberg
Anton Harrison
Cody Mauch
O'Cyrus Torrence
Steva Avila
Jarret Patterson
Paris Johnson
Peter Skoronski
Broderick Jones
Darnell Wright
Jonathan Mingo
Bijan Robinson
Jahmyr Gibbs
Kenny McCintosh
Eric Gray

Yeah... this draft is totally deficient of offensive talent.

OP is an idiot.
So nobody worth a top pick. How did you get dumber?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So you're going to replace the best rookie tackle in the 2022 draft. That would be just fucking stupid.

"The Best Rookie Tackle in the 2022 draft" was getting pushed around by bull rushes all season. The metrics out there by 3rd parties are all SHIT.

If Jones was more stout, or if as he was going backwards continually redirected his opponent around Fields instead of being pushed RIGHT INTO HIM, then you might have an argument.

But when people make statements like you just made, it tells me who REALLY was paying attention to the games, and who is just like the national media and looking at box scores and analytics that are FAR from perfect - the same sources you will go to in order to tell me he was the best tackle in the NFL draft also told us all a few years ago that Charles Leno Jr was in fact a very very good offensive lineman, and also had Sam Mustipher rated highly this season.

Stop letting other places do your thinking for you and start PAYING ATTENTION TO GAMES.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I wish there was some top tier offensive talent coming available in Free Agency but I just am not impressed with what's out there. I do think we will find a few upgrades on the Oline (but it doesn't take much to be an upgrade over what we rolled out there last year). I have a feeling Bears fans will be left wanting more at WR because the FA options aren't much and I don't see us drafting a WR high in the draft. I think Poles will double down on his bet and what he had to give up to get Claypool and we'll see a Mooney, Claypool and a couple WR2 type FA talents and a midround pick at WR trotted out as weapons for Fields. I think Poles only move to go get a proven WR1 would require giving up to much draft capital in a trade and as a result, we end up with a collection of WR2 type talent.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd expect at least one OL and WR in FA.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I expect minimal offense to be added in FA. Maybe an IOL, probably depth at TE/resigning Griffin or Tonges. If big money gets spent offensively, I expect it to be an extension for Kmet or Mooney.

I fully expect poles to blow his wad on a linebacker. It’s just a dumb bears thing to do. I’d like them to also break the bank on Da’Ron Payne should DC elect to let him go/save the $$$ for Sweat and Chase Young over the next two years. Then I don’t see big spending, unless it’s an extension for JJ.

Then I just see defense defense defense in the draft before we wonder why the worst OL in football a year ago is still comically bad/Justin is still running for his life on most plays.

Tom Paris

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Sporting Kansas City
  1. Boston Celtics
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
  1. Iowa Hawkeyes
"The Best Rookie Tackle in the 2022 draft" was getting pushed around by bull rushes all season. The metrics out there by 3rd parties are all SHIT.

If Jones was more stout, or if as he was going backwards continually redirected his opponent around Fields instead of being pushed RIGHT INTO HIM, then you might have an argument.

But when people make statements like you just made, it tells me who REALLY was paying attention to the games, and who is just like the national media and looking at box scores and analytics that are FAR from perfect - the same sources you will go to in order to tell me he was the best tackle in the NFL draft also told us all a few years ago that Charles Leno Jr was in fact a very very good offensive lineman, and also had Sam Mustipher rated highly this season.

Stop letting other places do your thinking for you and start PAYING ATTENTION TO GAMES.
Are you of the belief that Jones lost far more battles than he won this year? Or are you just using the bad plays that stuck out as what made your opinion about him? It reads like you focused on him play after play.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
So since these players are not going 1st overall, that means this draft is deficient in offensive talent?
The talking heads are calling it a defensive draft. Got a problem then take it up with them.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I'll say it til i'm blue in the face. It makes sense to address offense heavily in free agency. Get Fields some reliable help, especially on the O-line, then focus more on defense in the draft where Eberflus has a history of getting the most out of young guys. Free agency has plenty of solid/good O-line options at minimum.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Are you of the belief that Jones lost far more battles than he won this year? Or are you just using the bad plays that stuck out as what made your opinion about him? It reads like you focused on him play after play.

My opinion on Jones was that he was physically weak but technically sound. They helped him a LOT as the season went on and he was rarely on an island as things progressed.

Given where he was drafted, it's actually NOT uncommon for people that low in draft status to need a year or two hitting the weights in an NFL program to become stout enough to hold up in the NFL.

He's good clay, but he is FAR from a finished product, and isn't even yet to a level you'd expect of someone drafted in the first 2 rounds, even by the end of the season.

The best thing for Jones right now would be to be a swing tackle for a couple years, acting as quality depth while the Bears improve their line.

If I were the Bears, I would draft a replacement for him high, and then let Jones become a piece of solid depth and a swing tackle. For that end, I would be tempted to draft a LT in round 1 and move Jones to RT for a season, to really develop him in that swing tackle role, and if he over this offseason get's more stout, you just leave him at RT - having 2 players with LT skills in the LT and RT spots would be a great answer to the defenses nowadays that like to move around their pass rushers all across the defensive line...

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is plenty of offensive talent in this draft. Bears could walk away with a WR, RT, & C capable of stepping in and starting day one. The question is whether Poles will be comfortable filling that many holes on the offense with unknowns. He does want to build through the draft. Can always backstop these picks with veterans on a reasonable contract.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My opinion on Jones was that he was physically weak but technically sound. They helped him a LOT as the season went on and he was rarely on an island as things progressed.

Given where he was drafted, it's actually NOT uncommon for people that low in draft status to need a year or two hitting the weights in an NFL program to become stout enough to hold up in the NFL.

He's good clay, but he is FAR from a finished product, and isn't even yet to a level you'd expect of someone drafted in the first 2 rounds, even by the end of the season.

The best thing for Jones right now would be to be a swing tackle for a couple years, acting as quality depth while the Bears improve their line.

If I were the Bears, I would draft a replacement for him high, and then let Jones become a piece of solid depth and a swing tackle. For that end, I would be tempted to draft a LT in round 1 and move Jones to RT for a season, to really develop him in that swing tackle role, and if he over this offseason get's more stout, you just leave him at RT - having 2 players with LT skills in the LT and RT spots would be a great answer to the defenses nowadays that like to move around their pass rushers all across the defensive line...
Replacing an entire OL in one season when there so many other needs is not reasonable. I'm not saying if they get their hands on someone they like better at LT than Braxton, he is not movable. But to expect Poles to move Braxton to a swing tackle is quite naive when the rook showed much promise, growth, and smarts. You are much more likely to find a RT in this draft class than a LT. Braxton will be starting next year and it will likely be at LT and I think he will be even better.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I expect minimal offense to be added in FA. Maybe an IOL, probably depth at TE/resigning Griffin or Tonges. If big money gets spent offensively, I expect it to be an extension for Kmet or Mooney.

I fully expect poles to blow his wad on a linebacker. It’s just a dumb bears thing to do. I’d like them to also break the bank on Da’Ron Payne should DC elect to let him go/save the $$$ for Sweat and Chase Young over the next two years. Then I don’t see big spending, unless it’s an extension for JJ.

Then I just see defense defense defense in the draft before we wonder why the worst OL in football a year ago is still comically bad/Justin is still running for his life on most plays.
Pace, is that you???