Do we have to have an offensive-minded head coach?

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
To the OP's point I would say the HC needs to be more than just an inspiring leader and able to delegate but also someone who can manage some of the details (challenges, clock management, and internal discipline as examples).

I also think a guy who has been around the league for a while and built some relationships has a better chance of attracting a quality OC than a Johnny come lately.

Which begs the question why have the Bears had so much trouble finding good OCs to interview? I'm sure Cutler being seen as a coach-killer was part of it but I don't believe it's the whole story.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Sure, let’s let Justin learn 3 offenses on one contract. Big brane thoughts only.
How do you figure? A new coach would likely get 3 years at minimum unless something goes terribly wrong. It's unlikely that the OC is here for any less than that cause you'll have a year to get into the new offense and then, if all goes well, the offense starts humming year 2 and into year 3. That's when you'd likely the earliest you'd have to look at replacing a guy.

Luckily for us, we'd still have the head coach in place who hired that guy and thus has a track record of hiring the right guy. Surely, he could do it again, no?

Meanwhile, assuming your "I need an offensive guy to maintain the same offensive system" logic holds true for the defense, we've got that side of the ball stable and locked down, as is the Bears' staple, to support any transition pains on the offensive side of the ball. Beyond all that, if Fields is the real deal, he can handle some changes in the offense if need be and you might even be wanting to make some changes anyway. I think of Seattle and Russell Wilson. Here's who he's had for OC under Pete Carroll since coming into the league:

Years 1-6: Darrell Bevell
Years 7-9: Brian Schottenheimer
Year 10: Shane Waldron

That's actually a great example. Seattle won the superbowl in Wilson's second year and went to the superbowl the year after and Bevell still didn't get hired away.

But again, I don't care where the next guy comes from as long as he's a good head coach. Get that guy and the rest falls into place.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
And I’m saying we should completely cross off any names that aren’t on the offensive side of the ball.

Justin needs to learn and develop in one fucking offense. After we fire Nagy, he will already have had to learn 2 offensive systems. If we hire a defensive guy, and he makes a great OC hire, he’s going to become a HC before Justin’s rookie contract ends. That means in a span of one rookie contract, Justin could learn 3 offenses if we don’t hire an offensive HC. That’s just ridiculous and stupid to even let become a possibility.

The counter to your point (and what I think others have said earlier) is that if the OC leaves after a few years, then we try to keep some of the other key offensive staff and promote from with in. So say the OC leaves, then we try to keep and promote the QB coach or passing game coordinator.

Also, the best OC's adjust based on the personnel. Look at Tampa...Their offense is a mesh of what Arians/Leftwhich know best mixed with what Tom Brady does best. The reality is there really aren't 30 different "offensive systems" in the NFL. No one is really unique. They take from others and modify all the time.

Most Rookie QB's are going to learn at minimum 2 "systems" before their first contract is up. WHy? Because this is an offensive league and if that QB blows up in a good way, that OC will be poached for a HC job. Lets also not forget, if you have a "Franchise" QB, that QB is going to have some sort of say in the next OC that is hired.

I guess my point is Justin having to learn 3 "systems" really isn't nor should it be a problem at all. The next HC and OC are going to work with him and build an offense that highlights his skills. If they aren't, then they have no business being an OC.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
How do you figure? A new coach would likely get 3 years at minimum unless something goes terribly wrong. It's unlikely that the OC is here for any less than that cause you'll have a year to get into the new offense and then, if all goes well, the offense starts humming year 2 and into year 3. That's when you'd likely the earliest you'd have to look at replacing a guy.

Luckily for us, we'd still have the head coach in place who hired that guy and thus has a track record of hiring the right guy. Surely, he could do it again, no?

Meanwhile, assuming your "I need an offensive guy to maintain the same offensive system" logic holds true for the defense, we've got that side of the ball stable and locked down, as is the Bears' staple, to support any transition pains on the offensive side of the ball. Beyond all that, if Fields is the real deal, he can handle some changes in the offense if need be and you might even be wanting to make some changes anyway. I think of Seattle and Russell Wilson. Here's who he's had for OC under Pete Carroll since coming into the league:

Years 1-6: Darrell Bevell
Years 7-9: Brian Schottenheimer
Year 10: Shane Waldron

That's actually a great example. Seattle won the superbowl in Wilson's second year and went to the superbowl the year after and Bevell still didn't get hired away.

But again, I don't care where the next guy comes from as long as he's a good head coach. Get that guy and the rest falls into place.
No you’re assuming that a good defensive guy could hire another good OC and keep things rolling. History has shown that’s not the case. Much easier to go from DC to DC than OC to OC.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
The counter to your point (and what I think others have said earlier) is that if the OC leaves after a few years, then we try to keep some of the other key offensive staff and promote from with in. So say the OC leaves, then we try to keep and promote the QB coach or passing game coordinator.

Also, the best OC's adjust based on the personnel. Look at Tampa...Their offense is a mesh of what Arians/Leftwhich know best mixed with what Tom Brady does best. The reality is there really aren't 30 different "offensive systems" in the NFL. No one is really unique. They take from others and modify all the time.

Most Rookie QB's are going to learn at minimum 2 "systems" before their first contract is up. WHy? Because this is an offensive league and if that QB blows up in a good way, that OC will be poached for a HC job. Lets also not forget, if you have a "Franchise" QB, that QB is going to have some sort of say in the next OC that is hired.

I guess my point is Justin having to learn 3 "systems" really isn't nor should it be a problem at all. The next HC and OC are going to work with him and build an offense that highlights his skills. If they aren't, then they have no business being an OC.
And history proves this line of thinking is not always accurate. Look at what happened in Atlanta after Shanny left. Just because you promote from within that does not mean have the same quality offensive mind / play caller.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
We went to the superbowl in 2006 with a defensive head coach in Lovie Smith. He as 81-63 in his 9 year coaching stint. He was by far the most successful coach we've had since Ditka.
Lovie took the Bears to the playoffs 3 times in 9 years (33% of the time). He had an elite defense and shit offense. His winning percentage was .562

Nagy has taken the Bears to the playoffs 2 times in 3 years or 67% of the time. His regular season winning percentage is .574.

Based on those numbers, it shows that your entire fucking argument is crap when it comes to assessing head coaches quality. If you think Lovie was good based on his record, then certainly Nagy is better. Can't cut it both ways.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
And history proves this line of thinking is not always accurate. Look at what happened in Atlanta after Shanny left. Just because you promote from within that does not mean have the same quality offensive mind / play caller.
and that is a 100% fair point. I guess in the end, there is no right or wrong answer here, its all a crap shoot.

MidwestMonster2

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want a HC that knows you don't have to take a TO to throw the FN challenge flag. That would be a good start... I want a leader of men, someone who will hold themselves and the ENTIRE team accountable. Someone who actually knows what is going on with his players and doesn't treat the fans like they are idiots. Someone that not only demands but also inspires excellence in every aspect of the organization. Someone who can see coaching talent, bring them in and LET THEM DO THEIR FN JOB. I'd prefer someone who has a demonstrated ability towards player development/improvement regardless of what side of the ball they coached on and did it in the NFL level. Someone who has more on their NFL resume than Andy Reid's (sort of) OC...that didn't really call the plays because Andy Reid.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No you’re assuming that a good defensive guy could hire another good OC and keep things rolling. History has shown that’s not the case. Much easier to go from DC to DC than OC to OC.

History has also shown Offensive HCs who call plays can suck balls. See Trestman and Nagy.

It is irrelevant. You hire the best guy for the job. If that is a defensive minded HC then so be it.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
History has also shown Offensive HCs who call plays can suck balls. See Trestman and Nagy.

It is irrelevant. You hire the best guy for the job. If that is a defensive minded HC then so be it.
Means nothing. There are plenty of good offensive coaches call plays. In fact the best ones do.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Means nothing. There are plenty of good offensive coaches call plays. In fact the best ones do.
Means nothing. There are plenty of Non-OC head coaches that have succeeded in the NFL. The Pats, Steelers and Ravens come to mind. What offensive minded HCs have won more than those 3 coaches?

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Means nothing. There are plenty of Non-OC head coaches that have succeeded in the NFL. The Pats, Steelers and Ravens come to mind. What offensive minded HCs have won more than those 3 coaches?
In case you didn’t know 2/3 teams suck right now. And only one of them is developing a rookie QB. Also it remains to be seen how Lamar looks without Roman, hence the benefit of hiring an OC.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
The problem is Nagy lacks experience in systems outside of Reids . The best offensive minds are able to take things from every offense they have ever seen or been associated with and meld them into their own creation. Nagys only able to draw upon his experiences under Reid and so he doesn't know how to change it up. consistently and constantly falls back on what he knows

Bearey Palpatine

Liked Posts:
If the Bears gets a quality coaching candidate then the offense along with the rest of the team will take care of itself.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In case you didn’t know 2/3 teams suck right now. And only one of them is developing a rookie QB. Also it remains to be seen how Lamar looks without Roman, hence the benefit of hiring an OC.

What does that have to do with the fact those teams have historically been good? Further the Chargers just hired former Bear DL coach Brandon Staley for Herbert's 2nd year and he has looked great. Good coaches will find good people to groom the QB regardless.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sure, let’s let Justin learn 3 offenses on one contract. Big brane thoughts only.
you keep saying this as if it's facts. Why would Fields have to learn 3 different offenses? we couldn't promote someone from within to continue the same offense? You think Herbert will regress if they hire away his OC and QB coach? Will Lamar regress if his OC is hired away?

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The Falcons are 30-39 since Shannahan left….the 49ers are 31-38 with Shannahan.
Each team has 1 winning season,1 playoff appearance and both are 2-3 this season.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:

Do we have to have an offensive-minded head coach?​

Dunno, but a lot of Bear fans find the head coach offensive...

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How's that worked out for us? We can't wait to get rid of this offensive (non)identity attached to our offensive-minded head coach.
We hired an unproven bum...far different from someone actually who successfully playcalls and utilizes players strengths

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lovie took the Bears to the playoffs 3 times in 9 years (33% of the time). He had an elite defense and shit offense. His winning percentage was .562

Nagy has taken the Bears to the playoffs 2 times in 3 years or 67% of the time. His regular season winning percentage is .574.

Based on those numbers, it shows that your entire fucking argument is crap when it comes to assessing head coaches quality. If you think Lovie was good based on his record, then certainly Nagy is better. Can't cut it both ways.
Nagy has relied on an elite to really good defense though ?