Do you think a good FS or CB would make a bigger impact on the team?

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
It is no secret that our DBs suck ass. They have been put in a good position because we have a talented front-7, but we need our DBs to step up if we are to challenge for a playoff spot in the future.

Our best CB is Porter, who really should be on his way out. Next up is Fuller, who is oft injured and might be on his last chance for this team next year. Callahan is a fine NB, but other than those three we have young players who will have a lot of work to do this offseason to prove that they can step in when needed. We dont have any CB on our team that I feel comfortable relying on to match up on a #1 WR all game.

I dont want to even try to comment on who our Safeties are. We have 6 safeties under contract, and it is laughable to call any of them a free safety. Amos should be the new Craig Steltz, a guy who can come in when there is an injury and not screw things up, but he should not be a starter. Bush is a rookie and, just like our young CBs, has a lot of work to do this offseason. The NFCN has a lot of talent at QB (outside of Chicago), and we cant keep lining up two SSs and pretend like they can hold down the fort all game.

And so I ask the question, which would make a bigger impact in 2017 and beyond? A #1 CB can shut down a #1 WR, and force a QB to work through his progressions while our pass rush gets to the QB. A REAL starting FS can keep a QBs eyes on shorter routes and take advantage of less-than-perfectly thrown deep passes. Obviously we need an upgrade at both positions, but one of these positions must be made a priority this offseason.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It is corner back for sure. That is an easy call is it not?

Scooter27

Liked Posts:
It is corner back for sure. That is an easy call is it not?

No I think I gotta go safety here. I think adding a guy like Eric berry would be hugeeeee For these guys. This secondary needs a disrupting force to feed off of. A leader in the backfield.

Something we haven't seen since mike brown.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Position VS position I would say CB but the variable is who is playing those positions. Eric Berry would have a greater impact than any CB available but if you're talking Stephon Gilmore or Trumaine Johnson VS DJ Swearinger or Tony Jefferson, I would take one of the CBs.

Ksap24

Liked Posts:
Let me be the guy to start the talk
Let's draft jabrill peppers defensive problem solve he can play everywhere on d

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Safety hands down. This team has decent CB play when they are all healthy but they don't have 1 starting caliber Safety on the team. When you have a roving safety who can be a ball hawk or punisher it makes more of an impact then a corner, unless you have a rare shut down corner. Our safety corps needs a complete overhaul this offseason.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
A case can be made for either being the bigger impact, but I think we can all agree we need both.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Easy. Move Fuller to FS and draft a CB.

Parkway Drive

Liked Posts:
Give me one in FA that's starting caliber and the other one in the 3rd round of the draft (1st and 2nd being DL Allen or Garrett/QB, or QB/DL or OT).

Like the previous poster said, that I forgot to quote, it's relative to what's available in FA.

With Hall showing flashes when healthy, and Callahan being solid at times, not to mention Leblanc looking less and less lost as a rookie, there's no question that S is the more deficient position. That being said, you add a Garrett and a good starting CB in FA bc all the good safeties stay with their teams or sign ridiculous contracts, you will still be better as a unit even with similar safety play.

Also, can we take a minute and marvel at the fact that for the last 29 regular season games I'm pretty sure we are in the top 10 in passing yards against and assuredly in the top half in QB rating against, even with our best DB being Tracy Porter.... and a very average pass rush. Let that sink in for those of you that think Fangio is only 'average' and all of his success was exclusively because of a great roster unit in SF.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
Let me be the guy to start the talk
Let's draft jabrill peppers defensive problem solve he can play everywhere on d

Adams and Hooker are better fits for the team. Peppers excels near the LOS and that's what our Safeties are already good at if anything at all. We need guys that are better in coverage.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Easy. Move Fuller to FS and draft a CB.

I would be willing to give Fuller a shot at FS - but I still think he has a lot of talent and could make it as a CB. I'm not willing to let go of that SF game he had years back.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Adams and Hooker are better fits for the team. Peppers excels near the LOS and that's what our Safeties are already good at if anything at all. We need guys that are better in coverage.

Agreed - Peppers is going to be an SS in the pros. He'll be a boss SS, but we need a center-fielder

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think a CB. Safeties can, but not many do.

Safeties can make a big impact, but a good CB will probably never play safety. I know everyone wants Mike Brown, but he would not have been good at outside corner.

Last edited:

AussieBear

hard call if its deion vs ed reed or that cb/fs ronnie lott

but if its fuller vs say eric berry... no brainer...

greg23

Liked Posts:
This can't be a real debate can it?

Cb is the much more valuable position on a roster than safety.

If youre confused look at which position gets drafted higher every year.

Now if you're talking about signing a stud safety like Eric berry vs a cb like Alan Ball then that is a no brainer.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Isn't the original question like asking which tire to replace on a car with four bald tires?
The obvious answer is ..... one new tire isn't going to do you a bit of good.
With all of the salary cap that Mr. Pace will have, he better be buying multiple tires. We need both positions badly. I don't think that we have a single building block in this secondary. Nothing but spare tires.
Like the other poster said, you do the best that you can in free agency which is a great big crap shoot on how the market plays out. There will be a lot of teams interested in the same top talent.
I think that a shut down CB is one of the most important positions on a team and should be a GM' highest priority with QB, LOT, and someone to go get the QB.
Once the cards are played in free agency, then Mr Pace has to figure out how that impacts his draft strategy.
I was disappointed that Mr Pace didn't go after one of the free agent Safties last year when he had the cap to do so. It makes his job in free agency this year all the more difficult as he needs to land viable to high end talent at both positions this year.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Correct answer is C.) A good coach

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This can't be a real debate can it?

Cb is the much more valuable position on a roster than safety.

If youre confused look at which position gets drafted higher every year.

Now if you're talking about signing a stud safety like Eric berry vs a cb like Alan Ball then that is a no brainer.

The question pertained to this team. The corners are not far away from being okay when they are healthy. There are no NFL quality safeties on the roster.