Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I realize there was concern on the board from some posters about Pace and the Bears passing on Grant Delpit the LSU Safety. Unfortunately, he tore his Achilles tendon and is out for the season. He went the pick after Kmet which kind of magnified the fact Pace passed on him. However, even if healthy he profiles as a free safety and there is no doubt he's a talented prospect but he's not Eddie Jackson and would not have addressed the issue at SS at the time. I hope he comes back 100% and has a great career. As a Bear fan, it would be tough if he had been the pick at 43 especially after the Kevin White fiasco.

Browns Officially Announce Grant Delpit to Have Season-Ending Surgery On Torn Achilles'

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I wanted him, but after taking a risk on Jaylon, I was glad that they did not double up on Health risk guys in the second round. I was glad the took Cole then, and hope Kmet pans out

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sucks for the young man, but yeah, that would have sucked.

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Who knows if he would have torn his achilles being here or not.

If we drafted him we would have not signed Gipson, maybe gave Graham more money because ..well Pace.

Best of luck in his recovery, just have to hope our top 2 pan out!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Different practice means there was no bullet to dodge here but I really felt that CB was the bigger issue and didn't see nor wanted us taking 2 DBs in 2. Draft turned out great as is.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just because he got injured with one team doesn’t mean he would do it with another.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Torn achilles is a big deal, we saw what happened when Kevin Durant tried to come back early, he tore it again and will be out basically a season in a half.

Bears dodged a huge bullet

Last edited:

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I realize there was concern on the board from some posters about Pace and the Bears passing on Grant Delpit the LSU Safety. Unfortunately, he tore his Achilles tendon and is out for the season. He went the pick after Kmet which kind of magnified the fact Pace passed on him. However, even if healthy he profiles as a free safety and there is no doubt he's a talented prospect but he's not Eddie Jackson and would not have addressed the issue at SS at the time. I hope he comes back 100% and has a great career. As a Bear fan, it would be tough if he had been the pick at 43 especially after the Kevin White fiasco.

Browns Officially Announce Grant Delpit to Have Season-Ending Surgery On Torn Achilles'
I am eating crow on him and Hammler.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Different practice means there was no bullet to dodge here but I really felt that CB was the bigger issue and didn't see nor wanted us taking 2 DBs in 2. Draft turned out great as is.

Yeah can't just assume that just because he got injured there means he would have in Chicago.

Having said that, I would not have spent a 2nd round pick on a S anyways unless pretty much everyone else I wanted was gone.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
So because he was injured at another practice. On a different team. In a different state. This same thing would have happened to him if he was drafted by Chicago? Please explain this logic. I’ll be waiting...

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Never really liked Delpit. I was always in on Atoine Winfield Jr and Jeremy Chinn at Safety.

Now that we are down Artie Burns and Tre Roberson it seems liked it was a wise decision to go CB in the 2nd.

In the end things worked out well. We got Tashaun Gipson and Jaylon Johnson.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
So because he was injured at another practice. On a different team. In a different state. This same thing would have happened to him if he was drafted by Chicago? Please explain this logic. I’ll be waiting...

There are a number of factors that can increase an athlete’s risk for this injury. He had ankle injuries at LSU. So your wait is over.

Causes and Risk Factors for Achilles Tendon Damage
  • A change in the athlete’s training schedule and/or intensity level, such as adding another few miles to a daily running routine or participating in plyometric exercises that require explosive movement, such as burpees or box jumps
  • A change in playing surface, such as when a tennis player shifts from playing on grass courts to clay courts, or when the athlete changes footwear
  • Tight or weak calf muscles can be overstretched, resulting in soft -tissue damage.
  • Excessive pronation, defined as rolling inward on the foot when walking or running
  • Chronic ankle instability, or a recurrent “giving way” or rolling of the ankle
  • Leg-length discrepancy, even if quite small, can cause the body to compensate and put soft-tissue structures like the Achilles tendon at risk for injury

Last edited:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just because he got injured with one team doesn’t mean he would do it with another.

Yeah can't just assume that just because he got injured there means he would have in Chicago.

^ Very true. Impossible to know, but it's funny how this same "what if" / "looking back in time" thinking was/is used to say Pace was a bumbling idiot for Kevin White in his first draft, who at least filled a need. Nobody has a crystal ball. Just Magic 8 ball.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now that we are down Artie Burns and Tre Roberson it seems liked it was a wise decision to go CB in the 2nd.

In the end things worked out well. We got Tashaun Gipson and Jaylon Johnson.

This is the type of backwards after-the-fact thinking that doesn't make sense to me. It wasn't wise or dumb at the time the decision was made, simply because of uncontrollable and impossible to predict later outcomes.

Nobody could've predicted those losses or most injuries. Good to have reasonable depth everywhere of course. *Note the other thread on how much Bears use nickle & dime though...all the more need for extra CBs who can also fill in that nickle slot.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
At least it's nice to see fans hold other GMs to the same impossible standards they do Pace.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
There are a number of factors that can increase an athlete’s risk for this injury. He had ankle injuries at LSU. So your wait is over.

• A change in the athlete’s training schedule and/or intensity level, such as adding another few miles to a daily running routine or participating in plyometric exercises that require explosive movement, such as burpees or box jumps
  • A change in playing surface, such as when a tennis player shifts from playing on grass courts to clay courts, or when the athlete changes footwear
  • Tight or weak calf muscles can be overstretched, resulting in soft -tissue damage.
  • Excessive pronation, defined as rolling inward on the foot when walking or running
  • Chronic ankle instability, or a recurrent “giving way” or rolling of the ankle
  • Leg-length discrepancy, even if quite small, can cause the body to compensate and put soft-tissue structures like the Achilles tendon at risk for injury

That proved NOTHING. Your logic is upside down.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
This is the type of backwards after-the-fact thinking that doesn't make sense to me. It wasn't wise or dumb at the time the decision was made, simply because of uncontrollable and impossible to predict later outcomes.

Nobody could've predicted those losses or most injuries. Good to have reasonable depth everywhere of course. *Note the other thread on how much Bears use nickle & dime though...all the more need for extra CBs who can also fill in that nickle slot.

I think some, such as myself, probably gave a failed former 1st round pick and Candadian all-star a little too much credit for simply being a Chicago Bear. One got cut before training camp and the other only started one game last season and shouldn't have been a real option at a starting cb spot.

CB was a great need heading into the draft and Deon Bush is more serviceable at SS than Tolliver/Burns at CB. I think most fans wanted to go WR, but with the run of them taken before us, it simply wasn't the bpa.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

I get what you're saying that nobody could have predicted his injury, but the knock on him was his injury issues. He has now injured an area where he has had injuries in the past. So, the issue with him was the injuries he had and he got injured. He crapped out with snake eyes.

So, I will eat my crow on this pick and give Pace one here. Kmet was the better pick.