Does 7 - 10 save Pace/Nagy jobs?

Montucky

The Bears always cave to public pressure, so when they start the season 1-6 or go through a protracted losing streak that wipes out their playoff chances it'll be something of a foregone conclusion that both Pace and Nagy get the axe on Black Monday. One thing the Bears don't do is midseason firings, and I think there's enough goodwill between George McCaskey and these two that this won't be the time they set a new precedent.

I really expected more swings from a front office that knows its a make or break year with regards to their jobs. Thus far they have gone out with a whimper, not a bang.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
7-10 with a promising young QB is different than 7-10 with Andy Dalton

Last edited:

mattb78

7-10 with a promising young QB is different than 7-10 with Andy Dalton
Agreed. Maybe Pace pulls Trask or Mond or Davis Mills out of his ass, because the big names are going to be gone early, but I don't think he takes his shot at QB this season from this draft position.

I think taking a shot at a 2nd tier QB would be a good idea, but I don't think Pace wants to miss on another QB in the draft. Its job security at this point and another QB miss, even a hail mary, is just bad optics.

Pace's best bet for job security, absent a playoff run, is for the defense to flourish and the offense to look bad under Nagy yet again. Nagy becomes the scapegoat and Pace gets a final shot with a different head coach. But if Pace's fate is tied to Nagy, its just a matter of time for them both because Nagy can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag.

ikkoikki

Nothing short of drafting a promising young QB will save my interest in this team. What are we watching for at this point? Roquan Smith, Darnell Mooney, Tarik Cohen? None of it matters without a franchise QB. I can't get invested in a team until I feel like there's a reason for investment.

Hal9000

I think if they win the division that'll be enough.
I don't think so in my opinion. at the very least I don't think we need the division guarantees their jobs.

I think under certain circumstances a division win could save their jobs if it was paired with some other things: the offensive system looks a ton better under Dalton, unfortunate injuries prevent the Bears from being competitive in the playoffs, and the Bears during the regular season trend in the top 10 in scoring points.

Those are the circumstances where I see winning the division but not winning a playoff game still allows them to keep their jobs.

The_Shadow

Simply a Bears fan
My favorite teams
Chicago Bulls Chicago Bears
You’re not going to give your general manager another chance to draft and then fire him for his draft before any players take the field.

How does the front office decide he screwed up the draft before anyone plays?
Like I said, if (When?) he screws it up.
Pace's previous track record says he should be fired. I would not have given him this chance. After this draft he is expendable was my point, kind of like Nagy is right now before the first game is played.

Last edited:

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Nothing short of drafting a promising young QB will save my interest in this team. What are we watching for at this point? Roquan Smith, Darnell Mooney, Tarik Cohen? None of it matters without a franchise QB. I can't get invested in a team until I feel like there's a reason for investment.
Heh, I've been watching the Bears since the 60's... I've yet to see a "franchise" QB.

Bearly

Dissed member
Donator
My favorite teams
Chicago Cubs Chicago Bulls Chicago Bears Chicago Blackhawks
Heh, I've been watching the Bears since the 60's... I've yet to see a "franchise" QB.
I really thought McMahon was until he couldn't throw anymore. The whole tough guy thing in football shortened a lot of careers. His shoulder was messed before the Martin (mafia) hit. Jim couldn't throw anyway and had no business playing like that in the 1st place. Should have been trying to get well for the stretch run.

mattb78

I don't think so in my opinion. at the very least I don't think we need the division guarantees their jobs.
I agree and I think alot hinges on the success or failure of the offense. If the offense looks bad, ranks somewhere in the low to mid 20s, I think Nagy has to be gone. There will no more delusions about him being any kind of offensive guru. I mean he even had to give up playcalling last season. This is Nagy's last shot, with a different QB, to show he can get something done offensively.

Pace is a different evaluation IMO. Maybe their fates are tied together and hence why they were both kept. But I think Pace has the possibility to outlive Nagy, but also the possibility to be fired with him. He is going to need another strong draft and the defense is going to have to perform well.

So we could have a situation with a dominant defense, below average offense, end up somewhere in the 7, 8 or 9 win range, Nagy gets the boot and Pace stays.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
I think they have to make the playoffs. They are lucky they are getting this year to redeem themselves. Moving up in the draft for Trubisky and his subsequent "busting" should have been enough to be fired. But here we are.......

SD Bears

With 9 - 8 being the new .500 (.529) I am hoping another 8 win season, sees them both shown the door.

An in season firing just won't happen under the McCaskeys. At best, we will see another forced play caller change though. But it won't be Lazor, so who then?

If (when?) Pace screws the draft up, the Bears can safely fire him before the Pre-Season even arrives. Do not really need a lame duck GM after the Draft and the second round of FA gets done.

Just cannot get "Fired up!" about this team as it sits right now.
This is a 6-win team at best. 6-11 is not survivable even with the asshat McCaskeys.

mecha

why did the league select 17 games, honestly? there's no such thing as .500 teams under this format. that's a little bizarre don't you think?

additionally, they should be eradicated if they don't make the playoffs in convincing fashion. like 2018, but the offense has to do their share too. that's why BHVKAFAHSF was hired in the first place, right.

mattb78

6 wins and a defensive regression, yes probably everybody gets the can. For Pace to save his job, he has to show a dominant defense and a decent job on the offensive side of the ball, just that he missed on Trubisky.

What would the Bears have done the last 3 seasons with a better QB and a decent head coach? That's the question. You can still say missing on a QB and a HC are unforgiveable, but that isn't the standard for most GMs.

This is a big year for Pace's defense. It HAS to produce and he needs another good draft to stay alive IMO.

HearshotKDS

I would hope not, but I do believe McCaskeys are dumb enough to believe that even though the Bears would (at that point) have 3 consecutive seasons with less wins than last year, that the arrow is finally pointing up and Pace and (maybe) Nagy are ready to compete again. Pace might be good enough to sell that snake oil to our idiot ownership.

SD Bears

SD Bears said:
This is a 6-win team at best. 6-11 is not survivable even with the asshat McCaskeys.
If they only win 6 games, you’re right.

But you’re wrong.
They'll beat the Lions and Vikes once each. Might beat the Cardinals, Bengals, and Giants. Throw another win in there for generosity sake and there's your 6. I'm hard-pressed to find any more wins than that.

Thedude

It better not!
What if they overachieve, does 8-9 do it?
Obviously, a 6 game losing streak doesn't affect anything because thats a positive.

Oddsmakers are not high on the Bears this season. PointsBet released new regular season win total futures recently, and the line for the Bears has been set at 7 wins. Only six teams have lower Over/Under lines: The Texans at 4.5, the Lions at 5, and the Bengals, Jaguars, Jets and Eagles all at 6.5.O

For what it’s worth, the odds themselves favor the Bears to win more than seven games, at -120, while the under sits at even money with +100 odds. That means a $100 bet for the Bears to win more than seven games will win $83.33, while a $100 bet for the Bears to win fewer than seven games will win $100.

That’s notable as oddsmakers expect the Bears to win one fewer game than last season, despite getting an extra regular season game. That’s probably because the Bears will have one of the toughest schedules in the NFL next season, based off of last season’s records. In 2020, Bears’ future opponents went 149-122-1 for a 0.550 win percentage. They’ll play eight games against teams who had a winning record last year, including the defending champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers and two matchups against the Packers.

Further, the Bears currently have one of the least impressive quarterback rooms in the league. Andy Dalton will get a shot to start after playing backup in Dallas last year. Behind him will be Nick Foles who struggled in seven starts with the Bears last season.

I certainly hope neither keep there job regardless of the results of this season, and 7 wins jeez. This off season does not have the feel of a Gm/ head coach that are on the hot seat does it? They certainly haven’t made any big moves, almost like they have a pass