Does Alex Leatherwood fit with the Chicago Bears?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
So funny side story. Years back, this kid acted as a teenage bouncer at Prom House ( large beach rental that over 100 kids show up at every year after the local HS prom). Cops showed up and he ran through the stilt house's lattice blow out wall like the Koolaid man. Tearing shit up as he bolted.

2021 NFL Draft Profile: Does Alex Leatherwood fit Chicago Bears?

by Parker Hurley 1 minute ago Follow @parkerhurley

Alex Leatherwood was a five-star prospect who continued his ascent at powerhouse Alabama. Leatherwood was considered a top 10 prospect in the country and the top tackle as well. From there, he became a three-year starter for the Crimson Tide. Leatherwood played at right guard in 2018 but spent 2019 and 2020 at left tackle.

With versatility and experience on the offensive line, how does Alex Leatherwood stack up in the 2021 NFL draft?

Areas of Alex Leatherwood game that will translate well to the NFL
The first thing you notice with Leatherwood is his arms. There is no doubt about his length, as he is able to reach, and strike at distances that are surprising at times. You can see his length on the display in the play below, where he is able to control the pass rusher’s path with a stab to the inside of his chest. This is a respected pass rusher from Georgia.

Alex Leatherwood

Leatherwood also plays with an edge of physicality. He is a punishing blocker, and he plays every snap with an edge to finish each and every block. You can see him celebrating pancakes, and working to get his hands on linebackers throughout the play.

Alex Leatherwood, NFL Draft, Chicago Bears

From high school to pedigree to Alabam you also get a clean prospect who has experience in big games but also has the repetition and motion down to get into his pass sets with ease. Leatherwood is more of a downhill, power run blocker, but his combination of length and consistency make him a trusted pass blocker.

Areas of concern for Alex Leatherwood entering the NFL
Alex Leatherwood lives off of his length, size, and technique and is not the most fleet of foot. He is much less of a fit for teams implementing zone blocking. Pass rushers who use a quick outside step can get him to commit to his anchor, and beat him to the inside. In that area, Leatherwood is slow to transition.

You can also see below that when Leatherwood was able to get his hands on the talented Georgia pass rusher, he was keeping him in control.

Alex Leatherwood

However, he got the better of Leatherwood multiple times with quick feet. This play was a clear turning the corner by being the better athlete. Given his downhill run blocking nature, and slow feet, some have suggested a future is at guard.

Is there an NFL Comparison for Alex Leatherwood entering the 2021 NFL draft?
Perhaps it is just the Alabama pedigree and the helmet doing bias, but I would suspect that even Nick Saban saw similarities between D.J. Fluker and Alex Leatherwood. Fluker was typically a right tackle at Alabama, but the two have long arms that stand out immediately in their pass protection.

They also are both dominant, downhill run blockers. While Fluker is a bit thicker in size, they both have slower feet that lose to counter moves and speed around the edge. Fluker was a first-round pick and started his career at right tackle.

However, a shift into guard extended his career, and he just finished his eighth NFL career. The length, the Alabama pedigree, the potential to fill in at guard, and the dominant run-blocking with a passion to finish runs is what makes D.J. Fluker a player who is comparable to Alex Leatherwood entering the NFL.

Some mock drafts show that Leatherwood will be gone by 20, some show that he will be a player who could drop into round two. It all depends on how you view him. Leatherwood will also be an interesting test for the Chicago Bears, who have typically run outside zone but started to find success moving to more of a power run scheme in 2020.

Adding Leatherwood would show that Matt Nagy is changing his stripes, and taking the best player to help the run game. Playing on the right or left side, and at guard and tackle gives the Bears options as to how they view him or get him on the field, but if they draft him at 20, he is likely to see a start to his career at left tackle.

Is he a player you would take at 20, or get greedy and hope that he falls into round two?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Leatherwood is a solid mauler and will probably be taken in the later half of the first. We won't last to the our 2nd round selection but may last to the early 2nd round.

I don't see him as a fit as the Bears value mobility over pure strength, and unfortunately Nagy is still the coach, so they will probably opt with a more versatile T if they go that route at 20.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I don't think he's a left tackle. Right tackle or guard. I've seen some inconsistency from him in both run and pass blocking, would put him more of second rounder. Stiff lower body and he makes up for it as they mention with long arms and strength, but the leeway will be much smaller in the NFL. Also kinda a scheme specific run blocker, which lowers his value a bit. He's got potential to be a good starter in the right system though, for sure.

Would rather have Eichenberg, Jenkins, or Radunz, all of whom project better at zone blocking and have more potential to play LT imo.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I don't think he's a left tackle. Right tackle or guard.

Solid take. His game has limitations as true left tackle, but that combination of size, strength and ability isn't going to be passed on for very long, whether he fits at RT or G. When it comes to OL, they look at production, and this guy produced consistently. If he drops to the 2nd he is going to provide excellent value.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Solid take. His game has limitations as true left tackle, but that combination of size, strength and ability isn't going to be passed on for very long, whether he fits at RT or G. When it comes to OL, they look at production, and this guy produced consistently. If he drops to the 2nd he is going to provide excellent value.
yep, pretty safe pick.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
He’s a hell of a prospect, and if he outran cops he has some mobility too that I admire. I wish this QB situation wasn’t such an unmitigated disaster. There are some real OL prospects that could turn into All-Pros

DB012031

Liked Posts:
He is a solid pick and should have come out a year ago when his stock was higher and many had him pegged in the first of the first round. I see him late first, early part of the second round but I agree with the analysis that he most likely will get moved to RT or inside.

The issue we have is that with our reshuffled line at the end of the year, we actually looked solid at Guard, Center and Guard. People also forget that James Daniels will be back as well which more than likely means Alex Bars is the odd man out. Alex played RT in college as a Junior and then moved inside as a SR.

This brings up a very interesting question...The O-Line, at least the interior, looked much better down the stretch and since it was several games, I believe that is a trend that will continue to improve. With Daniels coming back we are now looking at Cody/Mustipher/Daniels as the GCG combo. Do they then kick Bars out to RT and primarily focus on a pure LT in the draft? Or is the thought that Bars goes back to the bench and they really need to find 2 starting tackles in the draft...

I'd like to see Bars get extended time at RT and focus on a pure LT in the draft in the first and then go BPA in rounds 2 - 4 because I think if we stay with BPA strategy after R1, its going to honestly play right into what we need (WR/CB).

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
Leno stays Massie is cut. Leno can’t play RT and I Don’t want Leatherwood anywhere near LT.
RT is oooohkaaayyy. I want Radunz in the 2nd. Start him at RT then when Leno is on the clock...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He will start somewhere on an OL for 10 years. The power is impressive and the feet are better than average. I think RT would be the best fit for him. He reminds me of Jack Conklin. Speed gives him some issues from time to time, but an ass kicker the rest of the time.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
He will start somewhere on an OL for 10 years. The power is impressive and the feet are better than average. I think RT would be the best fit for him. He reminds me of Jack Conklin. Speed gives him some issues from time to time, but an ass kicker the rest of the time.
Hahahahaha just like your mock offseasons WRONG!!

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So funny side story. Years back, this kid acted as a teenage bouncer at Prom House ( large beach rental that over 100 kids show up at every year after the local HS prom). Cops showed up and he ran through the stilt house's lattice blow out wall like the Koolaid man. Tearing shit up as he bolted.

Alex Leatherwood was a five-star prospect who continued his ascent at powerhouse Alabama. Leatherwood was considered a top 10 prospect in the country and the top tackle as well. From there, he became a three-year starter for the Crimson Tide. Leatherwood played at right guard in 2018 but spent 2019 and 2020 at left tackle.

With versatility and experience on the offensive line, how does Alex Leatherwood stack up in the 2021 NFL draft?

The first thing you notice with Leatherwood is his arms. There is no doubt about his length, as he is able to reach, and strike at distances that are surprising at times. You can see his length on the display in the play below, where he is able to control the pass rusher’s path with a stab to the inside of his chest. This is a respected pass rusher from Georgia.

ia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FFqmhVtuSCMixo8pQoT%2Fsource.gif

Leatherwood also plays with an edge of physicality. He is a punishing blocker, and he plays every snap with an edge to finish each and every block. You can see him celebrating pancakes, and working to get his hands on linebackers throughout the play.

ia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2F46r2xBVpCKgavcctZV%2Fsource.gif

From high school to pedigree to Alabam you also get a clean prospect who has experience in big games but also has the repetition and motion down to get into his pass sets with ease. Leatherwood is more of a downhill, power run blocker, but his combination of length and consistency make him a trusted pass blocker.

Alex Leatherwood lives off of his length, size, and technique and is not the most fleet of foot. He is much less of a fit for teams implementing zone blocking. Pass rushers who use a quick outside step can get him to commit to his anchor, and beat him to the inside. In that area, Leatherwood is slow to transition.

You can also see below that when Leatherwood was able to get his hands on the talented Georgia pass rusher, he was keeping him in control.

ia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2F8URlCHKHaHR5ESByJm%2Fsource.gif

However, he got the better of Leatherwood multiple times with quick feet. This play was a clear turning the corner by being the better athlete. Given his downhill run blocking nature, and slow feet, some have suggested a future is at guard.

Perhaps it is just the Alabama pedigree and the helmet doing bias, but I would suspect that even Nick Saban saw similarities between D.J. Fluker and Alex Leatherwood. Fluker was typically a right tackle at Alabama, but the two have long arms that stand out immediately in their pass protection.

They also are both dominant, downhill run blockers. While Fluker is a bit thicker in size, they both have slower feet that lose to counter moves and speed around the edge. Fluker was a first-round pick and started his career at right tackle.

However, a shift into guard extended his career, and he just finished his eighth NFL career. The length, the Alabama pedigree, the potential to fill in at guard, and the dominant run-blocking with a passion to finish runs is what makes D.J. Fluker a player who is comparable to Alex Leatherwood entering the NFL.

Some mock drafts show that Leatherwood will be gone by 20, some show that he will be a player who could drop into round two. It all depends on how you view him. Leatherwood will also be an interesting test for the Chicago Bears, who have typically run outside zone but started to find success moving to more of a power run scheme in 2020.

Adding Leatherwood would show that Matt Nagy is changing his stripes, and taking the best player to help the run game. Playing on the right or left side, and at guard and tackle gives the Bears options as to how they view him or get him on the field, but if they draft him at 20, he is likely to see a start to his career at left tackle.

Is he a player you would take at 20, or get greedy and hope that he falls into round two?
You can’t teach length.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

ia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FFqmhVtuSCMixo8pQoT%2Fsource.gif

ia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2F46r2xBVpCKgavcctZV%2Fsource.gif

ia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2F8URlCHKHaHR5ESByJm%2Fsource.gif

1661975351733.png

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Your job as an ESPN analyst is looking rock solid right now

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Would we all agree that this is a glowing review of Leatherwood? If it is, you’d be surprised to learn that Windy now says he was a consensus 2nd round pick.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Probably was a reach when the Raiders drafted him.

Needs a lot of work, but at the same time... he could be a very intriguing option at LG. For a waiver claim, a successor to Whitehair - or at least a servicable backup across the OL - is a very good return. If he bumps Borom or Braxton Jones... cool. More depth.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
His last name is like a 1970s cologne by Odeon™