Does Anyone Know If We Could Use The Franchise Tag on Hester?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I think the Franchise Tag has a stipulation that it's the average of the top 5 players at the position or 120% of the players previous salary. So, I don't know if Hester is worth 120% of last years pay... not sure what that was.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As much as we all are tired of Hester, he did really have a good year returning kicks (especially considering how many penalties our STs got called for) and he doesn't actually fumble very often.

He hadn't lost a fumble in years before the one this year.

He is a better WR than Ginn or Jacoby Jones and should still have a place on offense IMO. To not have him even practice at WR seemed wasteful.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I think the Franchise Tag has a stipulation that it's the average of the top 5 players at the position or 120% of the players previous salary. So, I don't know if Hester is worth 120% of last years pay... not sure what that was.

Damn, I was specifically hoping for no clause like that. Because if the player must sign or sit out and the average was a whole bunch of undrafted FA's or late round picks, the amount would likely be under the veteran minimum, and hte player MUST agree to that deal.

Of course, lost in all of this, would be just how fucking pissed off this would make Hester. But I would still love it.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
His salary under a tag would be 2.2 mil + even if they don't classify him as a WR. And given that he considered retirement last off-season, I see no reason for him to play under the tag.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
His salary under a tag would be 2.2 mil + even if they don't classify him as a WR. And given that he considered retirement last off-season, I see no reason for him to play under the tag.

there is no classification for returner under the franchise tag, it's top 5 at their position, and "kick returner" is not a position.

and the 120% is whichever is higher, so the tag is going to cost at LEAST $8 mil.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why is everyone ignoring the obvious? He can just sign a contract for whatever amount of money and years it may be. Even if its just a 1 year contract at 2 mil...All that matters is if he wants to keep playing and for how much.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Why is everyone ignoring the obvious? He can just sign a contract for whatever amount of money and years it may be. Even if its just a 1 year contract at 2 mil...All that matters is if he wants to keep playing and for how much.

I think the OP is assuming he'll want another similar contract, i.e. too much money or he'll leave CHI.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Even Hester knows there isn't a chance in hell he will sniff that kind of money again.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I am more tired of people talking about Resigning Hester then I am discussing about Cutler. I wouldnt pay Hester a penny to resign with the team as there are younger and cheaper options out there. Someone mentioned Michael Ford has the ability to do it, they signed Chris Williams (Not OT) from the CFL who was a return stud over there and who knows what speedy Rookies we bring into camp.

I cant stand Hester on punt returns anymore, Lets catch the ball when its inside the 10 and let the ball bounce and not catch it at the 15 yard line or outside. Between him misjudging on when to catch the ball, lost a lot of explosion, fumble problems, etc he really is not worth anything to me.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
And give him the average salaries of the top kick returners since he spent 0 time at WR? This may be a cheap route to resigning him for another year.
You cannot do this for 1 very simple reason. There is no such thing as a Franchise Tag for kick returners. The only franchise tag for special team players would be for a kicker/punter. All others would be franchise tagged according to their regular position, which for Hester would be either wr or CB and cost you about 11 mil

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am more tired of people talking about Resigning Hester then I am discussing about Cutler. I wouldnt pay Hester a penny to resign with the team as there are younger and cheaper options out there. Someone mentioned Michael Ford has the ability to do it, they signed Chris Williams (Not OT) from the CFL who was a return stud over there and who knows what speedy Rookies we bring into camp.

I cant stand Hester on punt returns anymore, Lets catch the ball when its inside the 10 and let the ball bounce and not catch it at the 15 yard line or outside. Between him misjudging on when to catch the ball, lost a lot of explosion, fumble problems, etc he really is not worth anything to me.

I can see moving on if the money doesn't make sense. I don't look forward to him running back kicks against the Bears next season because he is still a threat in my view.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I can see moving on if the money doesn't make sense. I don't look forward to him running back kicks against the Bears next season because he is still a threat in my view.

I just dont see how he is a threat anymore and I think the Bears would actually be fine covering Hester considering they know his strengths and weaknesses.

Snorch

Liked Posts:
I'm tired of Hester, As great as he was he isn't worth a roster spot at what he will want

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I actually didn't bring him up...and yes...Hester is better than Bobby Wade.

And one would hope he led the league in kickoff return yardage...we gave up a shit ton of points last year. he brought a lot of kicks out, 8-9 yards deep in the end zone.

He brought those kicks out because he can and he made some big plays this past season. He is still one of the top returners in the league and changes field position. Bears need to bring him back.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I think those big plays could be counted on 1 hand. I was expecting more production from him this year

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk - now Free

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think those big plays could be counted on 1 hand. I was expecting more production from him this year

They don't beat the Vikings without his 249 yards. That alone is enough to keep him.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
They don't beat the Vikings without his 249 yards. That alone is enough to keep him.

I enjoyed those days

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

What are you talking about? Hester led the NFL in KR yards. AND our fucking STs never could seem to play without committing a penalty of some sort.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
What are you talking about? Hester led the NFL in KR yards. AND our fucking STs never could seem to play without committing a penalty of some sort.

Adam Podlesh feels disrespected by this post

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

You cant give all the credit to Hester when the defense gave up so many points, therefore allowing him to get more opportunities.