Does Bye Bye Albert = Hello KB?

BondJmsBond23

Liked Posts:
I see Rendon is an upcoming free agent, maybe Joe can persuade them to trade for KB and use some of the Rendon $$ to resign KB.........Don't screw this up Jed!!!!!!

BondJmsBond23

Liked Posts:
OOPs, WTH, I just saw an ESPN interview that discussed Rendon as an upcoming FA. My bad. I now see on Cot's he is already signed thru 26'....Sorry.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Angels are terrible. They only waste there money and prospects in the offseason when they still have hope

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Amazing that people want Bryant traded still lol

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Amazing that people want Bryant traded still lol

i think it’s more....

do you want to give Bryant a 8-10 year mega deal that it’s going to take to resign him? If your answer is no, then the cubs should trade him this deadline and get some prospects for him. And I know, if we keep him we can hit him with a QO that will net us a comp pick, but I’d rather get 3 or 4 prospects for the guy than 1 draft pick

nobody is pretending the guy can’t flat out rake the baseball still.

Bust

Liked Posts:
i think it’s more....

do you want to give Bryant a 8-10 year mega deal that it’s going to take to resign him? If your answer is no, then the cubs should trade him this deadline and get some prospects for him. And I know, if we keep him we can hit him with a QO that will net us a comp pick, but I’d rather get 3 or 4 prospects for the guy than 1 draft pick

nobody is pretending the guy can’t flat out rake the baseball still.

Yep, sell high and trade him at the deadline. Boras client so you know what that means, $$$$$$$$$$

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I am on the fence.

Trading Bryant just means the Cubs lost the best player that they have had sense Sosa.

There is no guarantee that any return will pan out. Most don't.

If it is about money, the Cubs are the 4th largest market in baseball.
4.14 Billion sized market.

2019 revenue was 516M
2020 143 M

That is why Tom had Jed drop payroll

2021 should fall around 250-300M
2022 potentially back up to 500M

So the notion that the Cubs can not afford Bryant is puzzling and ignorant of the dynamic.

BondJmsBond23

Liked Posts:
Maybe they feel they can get more production in signing two good 17.5 million dollar a year players instead of one 35 million a year who is represented by the Darth Vader of agents?
Certainly agree that this current payroll level better be temporary due to lower revenue in 20 and 21. Especially now that they have their own TV deal. There is a lot more pressure and more riding on one 35 million player than two that equal that amount. This still has to be spent wisely, which some teams do better than others.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Nobody said they can’t afford Bryant, numb nuts. What we are saying is we don’t want to be paying a 35-39 year old Bryant 30 mil a year for what will certainly be diminished returns at that point. Look at Albert pujols contract With the angels. Age 31-41 seasons and he was nowhere near the same player pre 31. And we are talking pujols, who will go down as a top 5 first baseman in the history of baseball...and he didn’t come close to producing at a level that warranted that contract. Bryant ain’t anywhere near that level.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Maybe they feel they can get more production in signing two good 17.5 million dollar a year players instead of one 35 million a year who is represented by the Darth Vader of agents?
Certainly agree that this current payroll level better be temporary due to lower revenue in 20 and 21. Especially now that they have their own TV deal. There is a lot more pressure and more riding on one 35 million player than two that equal that amount. This still has to be spent wisely, which some teams do better than others.

So you are in favor of signing Jason Heyward. That is what happens when you sign mid tier guys.

Bryant IMO would take 10/300M. Front load years 1-4 at 40M each. That leaves 6/140 left. Over half of the deal would be gone and leave a mutual opt out here.

That leaves 23-24 Mil per and that can down scale with age or he might want to opt out and cash grab his final years.

Regardless it is better to pay for all star talent vs supporting cast. You are far more likely to develop a support player vs a core player. It is easier to sign a free agent support cast vs a all star.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Nobody said they can’t afford Bryant, numb nuts. What we are saying is we don’t want to be paying a 35-39 year old Bryant 30 mil a year for what will certainly be diminished returns at that point. Look at Albert pujols contract With the angels. Age 31-41 seasons and he was nowhere near the same player pre 31. And we are talking pujols, who will go down as a top 5 first baseman in the history of baseball...and he didn’t come close to producing at a level that warranted that contract. Bryant ain’t anywhere near that level.

That is why you front load and set in opt outs.

Dumb ass.

You act like the Cubs are going to be hamstringed by 1 guy. Did the Dodgers care with Betts or Bauer or Kershaw? Did the Yankees care with Cole or Station? Even the Padres with a 200M smaller market paid 2 guys 30M plus and traded for 2 TOR players.

So stop acting like a bitch miser that follows the A's and loves Billy Beene a long time.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
So you are in favor of signing Jason Heyward. That is what happens when you sign mid tier guys.

Bryant IMO would take 10/300M. Front load years 1-4 at 40M each. That leaves 6/140 left. Over half of the deal would be gone and leave a mutual opt out here.

That leaves 23-24 Mil per and that can down scale with age or he might want to opt out and cash grab his final years.

Regardless it is better to pay for all star talent vs supporting cast. You are far more likely to develop a support player vs a core player. It is easier to sign a free agent support cast vs a all star.
Jason Heyward was not a mid tier guy in his FA period. His money was big money still at that time.

Regardless of the structure I don't want Bryant for 10 years. Opt outs would just be to benefit him, boras won't have team options in there. He may not hamstring them, but the last 5-6 years you are going to be paying for past production.

Bust

Liked Posts:
That is why you front load and set in opt outs.

Dumb ass.

You act like the Cubs are going to be hamstringed by 1 guy. Did the Dodgers care with Betts or Bauer or Kershaw? Did the Yankees care with Cole or Station? Even the Padres with a 200M smaller market paid 2 guys 30M plus and traded for 2 TOR players.

So stop acting like a bitch miser that follows the A's and loves Billy Beene a long time.

Scott Boras agreeing to opt outs? Good luck

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Scott Boras agreeing to opt outs? Good luck

Depends on the contract.

If it is in his advantage.

Say 10/300.

1-4 Bryant gets 160M. He will be 33 YO then. He can stick for 6/140 or bail for another deal.

It really depends on his numbers.

From the Cubs side they just sign in xPA per year locks in the next year. Say at 4 years Bryant is at 1B and getting his PA's in and putting up 135 wRC+. Well at that point 25 AAV is pretty decent from both sides of the aisle.

If he is injured then a buy out kick in.

But Bryant has a walk opt at 4 years regardless. He made 40 AAV for 4 years and is looking at a pay drop. He might bail to get a better deal.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Depends on the contract.

If it is in his advantage.

Say 10/300.

1-4 Bryant gets 160M. He will be 33 YO then. He can stick for 6/140 or bail for another deal.

It really depends on his numbers.

From the Cubs side they just sign in xPA per year locks in the next year. Say at 4 years Bryant is at 1B and getting his PA's in and putting up 135 wRC+. Well at that point 25 AAV is pretty decent from both sides of the aisle.

If he is injured then a buy out kick in.

But Bryant has a walk opt at 4 years regardless. He made 40 AAV for 4 years and is looking at a pay drop. He might bail to get a better deal.
There will only be an opt out that could favor the player. There won't be any way we can opt out if he's injured as much as we'd like that.

10 years on a question mark is better off passing.

The only players that deserve 10 years are generational players with no serious injury history like mookie and trout.

Again, hard pass on 10 years for Bryant

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My thing on Bryant is this. You're going to trade him to rebuild and when you're ready (2-3 years?), try to acquire a big name player that you're going to spend money on anyways. You have that player right here.

I'd trade:

Baez
Contreras
before I trade Bryant. But that's just me. Maybe Rizzo too.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And if they trade KB. No to LAA please. Farm system is eh

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
My thing on Bryant is this. You're going to trade him to rebuild and when you're ready (2-3 years?), try to acquire a big name player that you're going to spend money on anyways. You have that player right here.

I'd trade:

Baez
Contreras
before I trade Bryant. But that's just me. Maybe Rizzo too.

Because in 3 years KB will be 32 and on the decline