Does hiring of Eberflus mean a return to 4-3 defense?

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
Question for smarter football minds than me, which doesn't require much. How do the pieces we already have fit in a 4-3?

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Question for smarter football minds than me, which doesn't require much. How do the pieces we already have fit in a 4-3?

Time will show, most who under contract will adopt. Bears have lots of players heading to the street so now going to be as good time as ever to change over..

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
FYI: his first job in the NFL was with Rob Ryan, so he has experience with the 3-4.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he played with what his personnel afforded him....

you can do a Tampa 2 with 3-4

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I hope so!

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
FYI 2: Rob Ryan has a foot fetish. Keep your feet away from this new HC
Rob does, too? I knew Rex did, but damn....Ryans love those sweet succulent feet.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
So the normal caveats apply: nobody runs base defense very much, positional flexibility means much more than it used to.

Also, given Eberflus' background, I'm assuming more of a Tampa 2 than other permutations of a 4-3.

Goldman to me is more expensive than his value in that scheme. I also think the Bears only have 1 notable secondary player (to be fair, that's regardless of scheme). They also don't have a great option at MLB. Ogletree might be ok if they resign him. Danny T would be terrible. Other than that, the good players on the defense translate just fine. Mack/Quinn can play edge with their hands in the dirt. Nichols should be ok in the Tommie Harris role. Roquan would be an outstanding weak side LB (Derrick Brooks/Lance Briggs).

Just remember what a hard time Lovie had in finding safeties. Don't expect this to be EJax's revival. At this point, I might prefer him at nickel.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Correct.

The plan is to have mac and Quinn play at the ends, Goldman will be your nose tackle, and Smith will be your will.

I know the last time we had the Tampa to we had Brian urlacher and everything was funneled to the middle linebacker, but that isn't how the Tampa two is usually run. Lovie modified it because we had such a special player at the mike.

A better comp would be looking at the Tampa 2 under Tony Dungy, and the roquan Smith comp would be Derek Brooks. In the dungy version of the Tampa 2, things were funneled to the will instead of the mike.

Bust

Liked Posts:
I hope chicago finds a good nickname cause it definitely will not be . . .

Coach Ditka
Coach Belichick
Coach Nagy
Coach "Eberflus" <nope, not happenin>

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I hope chicago finds a good nickname cause it definitely will not be . . .

Coach Ditka
Coach Belichick
Coach Nagy
Coach "Eberflus" <nope, not happenin>
none of those is a nickname.