Does it surprise anyone else to know wrigley is a top 10 pitcher park?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Depending on which particular metric you use it can dip as low as like 13th but over the past 3 years it rates as the #10 park and it's top 10 in fewest HRs as well. If you just look at 2020 it was actually the #1 pitcher park. I guess on some level it's not that surprising given when the wind is blowing in it's really tough but i've sorta had this mental image of it being more the flip where it'd be a decently above average hitters park.

I suppose some of that could also be the fact that new stadiums have come into the league that are way more hitter friendly ever since Camden became a thing. But the fact that wrigley is a 2% more pitcher friendly than league average and petco is just 3% is kinda surprising. Over the past 3 years #1 is the mets, #2 is A's, #3 is Miami, #4 is LAD, #5 is SEA, #6 is TB, #7 is SF #8 is STL, #9 is SD and the cubs as mentioned are #10.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wrigley is a small park. The wind factors in games but smaller dimensions in the OF allows the out fielders to get to balls that larger parks don't.

It is a dual blade. Small dimension is viewed as launching pad. Large viewed as natural HR suppression. This is true in general but it doesn't account for gap hitting. KC's park is going to suppress the HR but it allows for more extra base hits due to that extra OF.

Due to the wind suppressing around 30% of the games in general the hitter strength becomes a weakness and the gaps are more narrow to begin with. Thus a 'pitchers' park is tagged. In reality it is not a pitchers park. It is a small park that allows for the wind to factor because it lacks large OF bleacher stands to block the wind.

garapp

Liked Posts:
Besides the wind factor, Wrigley does not have the short porches down each line

I honestly think if Babe Ruth played half of his games atWrigley he wouldn't have hit more Homer's than he had

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Also, factor in the cubs have had some above average pitching staffs the last few years. That helps the numbers some. Go look at where it ranked in the mid 90’s and you probably find it was more “hitter friendly”

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Besides the wind factor, Wrigley does not have the short porches down each line

I honestly think if Babe Ruth played half of his games atWrigley he wouldn't have hit more Homer's than he had
That's the thing though. Relative to the other parks the past several years, wrigley has fewer homers. I don't think so much it's a case of wrigley being better... i think it's a case of other parks being built that make hr's more friendly. The cookie cutter multi-sport stadiums of the 70s/80s tended to be bigger than say Cincy's current band box

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That's the thing though. Relative to the other parks the past several years, wrigley has fewer homers. I don't think so much it's a case of wrigley being better... i think it's a case of other parks being built that make hr's more friendly. The cookie cutter multi-sport stadiums of the 70s/80s tended to be bigger than say Cincy's current band box

Big park + astroturf + speed = fun games.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Big park + astroturf + speed = fun games.
I am not sure about astroturf solely because of injuries part but i do agree that the 80's cardinals style teams were ridiculously fun watches.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I am not sure about astroturf solely because of injuries part but i do agree that the 80's cardinals style teams were ridiculously fun watches.

Game in general. But yes running on padded cement will wreck knees

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
it's actually funny you mention that type of team because i've been playing a lot of out of the part 22 perfect team and my current best account probably will challenge for the all time steals record. In 26 games they have stolen 78 bases and I just added in Harry Davis at 1B who is like third fastest 1B in the game at the moment when you also factor in guys who actually can hit worthy enough to roster. His speed is comparable to Trevor Story for context. The other guys are Xander Bogaerts who's on pace to steal 56 bases(82.4% sb%), the aforementioned Story(31 with only 50% success rate sadly), charlie hamphill(112 pace 78.3%), Danny Murphy(93 88.6% success), adalberto mondesi(25 80% as my super util guy off the bench), red murry(93 75%), and the rest of the guys are only marginal threats with Ozuna, Sean berry, Derek Norris, Christian Vazquez, luis arraez, and Champ Summers.