Does Trey Lance fit Nagy's system?

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He seems like a Trubisky clone with his running abilities it doesn't seem to fit Nagy's scheme.

Recent history has not been kind to the 1-year-wonder surge guys. It has not been ideal for the picks of guys like Mitch Trubisky, Blake Bortles, Dwayne Haskins, DeShone Kizer, Paxton Lynch, etc.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I mean at this point I'm not even sure what the prototypical quarterback for this system looks like. Is it someone who can succeed despite having cutesy gadget plays called?

Nagy seems like he's figuring it out the fly he's the definition of fake it till you make it. Bears hot duped by a sleazy salesman.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
They need to remove the headset from Nagy. That’s the only way I’ll believe he’s not calling plays. No QB will flourish in this offense with his plays. Lazor did a decent job on the other hand.

menacemanic

Liked Posts:
He seems like a Trubisky clone with his running abilities it doesn't seem to fit Nagy's scheme.

Recent history has not been kind to the 1-year-wonder surge guys. It has not been ideal for the picks of guys like Mitch Trubisky, Blake Bortles, Dwayne Haskins, DeShone Kizer, Paxton Lynch, etc.

lol nobody fits nagy system....

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
They need to remove the headset from Nagy. That’s the only way I’ll believe he’s not calling plays. No QB will flourish in this offense with his plays. Lazor did a decent job on the other hand.

Lazor will probably finish next season as interim head coach.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
Lazor will probably finish next season as interim head coach.
For them to even consider Lazor post season (next year), he would at least have to coach 3-5 games to see if his play calling is actually working. Plus, letting Nagy go before the season ends sounds like a slim chance unless of course, they really want to see Lazor uninterrupted.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Does anybody fit in Nagys system, I wasn’t even sure if he had a system.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

If those guys had a chance to sit and learn who knows how they turn out. If were to come here, I wouldn't advocate him starting day 1.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Shake his head. If it sounds like rocks rumbling around, he is just like Mitch.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
Like others have mentioned, who really knows if Nagy has a true "system" but we have to believe it revolves around running the RPO – which KC / Reid / Mahomes have done successfully over the past few years. This has swept over college football, so to some degree, these prospects should already be familiar with this type of system. However, running this offense is a different story – since it really demands a lot of quick thinking for the QB in a short amount of time – plus the QB better be quick with their feet and be able to extend the play. Looking at the draft there are 4 good prospects: Fields, Lawrence, Wilson & Lance – that fit that criteria.

The two best QB prospects from a pure RPO system would be Lawerence & Fields. I'd give the nod to Fields since I feel like his agility & strength translates better to the pros – no knock on Trevor, he'll be a great QB too.

Wilson ran the RPO well at BYU but they also utilized a lot of bootlegs and at times relied too much on his natural playmaking ability. Hard to tell if he'd fit Nagy's scheme, but I think of him as a Kyler Murray / Russell Wilson type.

Lance would probably rank last out of the top 4 or 5 QBs, since NDSU ran tons of half-reads. This means that the offense is running mirrored routes on each side. So theoretically the QB only has to read "half" of the field. Because of this, we can't accurately gauge how well Lance would do with more complex progressions. I like his play-making ability and agility, but I feel like we're circling the same drain that we did with Trubisky.
_

The QB that would best fit the RPO and could be made available if the Dolphins are seriously considering making a change, is Tua Tagovailoa. I would strongly go after Tua, even if it meant facilitating a 3-team trade with Houston & Watson. If Nagy is serious about the RPO, he's their guy. Get Tua to play the QB, then move up to draft his WR Devonta Smith, and snag one of the OTs later in the draft ( Eichenberg, Brown, Radunz ) and you've changed the makeup of this offense.

That said, they'll probably just shit the bed again.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yes. Yes he does.

He's the pick. Bank on it.

They'll also trade up for him.