Don't worry about 2023, it's all about 2024 **Bear FTO** Mods free to ban offenders.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Not sure why this is a common theme.
This team while set on a course for failure by management early and latter gutted for assured failure yet still played 10 games to wins or within one score against the strongest SOS last season.

Here is how I see the position groups 2022 end of season and now:

-------------------------End of season----------------------------------------------------------------------------Going into 2023
Interior OL: Mustipher a huge negative drag on this group-----------------------------------Jenkins,WH, Davis- an above average nasty group
OT: Jones coming around late, Borom nothing better than back up---------------------------Jones, Wright below NFL average to start with big upside.
WR: When ESB leads your team in starts, and D Pettis leads in games played?----------Moore, Mooney, Claypool. Yes please
RB: DM, Herbert, Ebner -NFL average group, but Ebner ugh-----------------------------------Herbert, Foreman, Johnson. Big jump in explosive potential and no Ebner.
TE:Kmet and...did they have any other TE's?-------------------------------------------------------Kmet, Tonyan-again
QB: Justin Fields- young, inexperienced, inconsistent and improving-------------------------Justin Fields-more experienced, more protection, more weapons

IDL: Justin Jones and Armon Watts as your go to guys, ok--------------------------------------Jones,Billings, Dexter, Pickens -more beef, more potential
Edge: Gipson, Muhammad NFL worst group?------------------------------------------------------Gipson,Walker,Green---maybe not NFL worst, maybe not done yet
LB: Sandborn, Morrow,and Thomas, I think--------------------------------------------------------Edmonds, Edwards, Sandborn-Enough said
DB:JJ,Gordon, Vildor, Brisker,Carson----------------------------------------------------------------Minus Vildor is enough, but JJ, Gordon, Stevenson, Brisker, EJ, yep.

Now this isn't to say the Bears are going to go 12-5 and make a playoff run, but the roster ending last season could be argued to have been NFL worst at 4 position groups (OT, WR, IDL Edge). Other than a glaring need at edge, I see capable or better groups across the board. With GB on a downswing, the Vikings, and Lions,meh, and an very easy sos this season, I would not be surprised at a 10-11 season. I could also see a 7-8 win season, but Poles is no longer acting as tank commander, he has transitioned to the builder of juggernauts
I still don't get the compulsion for everybody to predict. We will see the final roster by Sep 1, how about holding on the predictions until we even know what the variables are? But, a thoughtful post, thanx...

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Alim Mcneil and John Paschal show as much promise as anything the Bears are trotting out there.
Calling Houston a rotational piece is comical, considering the Bears sack totals for 2022.
This doesn’t help your argument at all by comparing your players to Bears players. Houston had completely unsustainable results based on games played and actual pressures. Ignoring the DL pretty much caps the lions ceiling going forward. A receiving back at #12(that had a negative rushing EPA at Bama) was a massive blunder and a non-pass rushing limited LBer at #18 were some of the worst draft decisions in 2023.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Agreed. Now expectations for the Bears.

DL............ Interior Jones, Billings, Dexter, Pickins. Deeper stronger than last year.
DE.............Walker, Gibson, Robinson, Green. Bears still need that pass rushing edge. Hope Poles can still find one.
LB..............Edmunds, Edwards, Sanborn/Sewell strongest defensive position group.
CB.............Johnson, Gordon, Stevenson, plenty of upside in this group.
S.................Jackson, Brisker, Hicks still need to add some veteran depth here.
OT.............Wright, Jones, Borom, Leatherwood. Still could use a veteran swing tackle.
OG...........Davis, Jenkins, Carter. I like this group.
C...............Whitehair, Patrick, Kramer. The most question marks of any OL group.
TE.............Kmet, Tonyan. Improved, but no depth.
WR...........Moore, Mooney, Claypool, ESP. Much improved.
RB............Herbert, Foreman, Johnson, Homer. Deeper stronger than last year.
QB...........Fields, Walker. Fields improves Bears will be competitive all year in a weak division.

Do you really think they see Leatherwood as OT? I get the impression he is likely more in the OG rotation at this point and would be more of an emergency use at OT.

Depth is certainly a big issue. Really, it's an issue for every team but especially for the Bears. Pace traded away so many picks that often get used to build that young developmental depth - especially all the 3rd round picks he threw away. It's going to take a couple of years to build that development pipeline.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
This doesn’t help your argument at all by comparing your players to Bears players. Houston had completely unsustainable results based on games played and actual pressures. Ignoring the DL pretty much caps the lions ceiling going forward. A receiving back at #12(that had a negative rushing EPA at Bama) was a massive blunder and a non-pass rushing limited LBer at #18 were some of the worst draft decisions in 2023.
Please refrain from feeding the rodents.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Do you really think they see Leatherwood as OT? I get the impression he is likely more in the OG rotation at this point and would be more of an emergency use at OT.

Depth is certainly a big issue. Really, it's an issue for every team but especially for the Bears. Pace traded away so many picks that often get used to build that young developmental depth - especially all the 3rd round picks he threw away. It's going to take a couple of years to build that development pipeline.
It feels so good knowing Poles isn’t blowing draft picks in trades.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This doesn’t help your argument at all by comparing your players to Bears players. Houston had completely unsustainable results based on games played and actual pressures. Ignoring the DL pretty much caps the lions ceiling going forward. A receiving back at #12(that had a negative EPA at Bama) was a massive blunder and a non-pass rushing limited LBer at #18 were some of the worst draft decisions in 2023.
He sure made Braxton Jones look like a fool. The lions did draft DL help in the third, while the Bears completely ignored edge.
The Bears are a 6-7 win team, and if lucky, they may sneak in 8 wins.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It feels so good knowing Poles isn’t blowing draft picks in trades.
That strange feeling is from viewing competent draft strategy and self control, not seen in Chicago since before the Jerry Angelo days.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He sure made Braxton Jones look like a fool. The lions did draft DL help in the third, while the Bears completely ignored edge.
The Bears are a 6-7 win team, and if lucky, they may sneak in 8 wins.

Yes that 3rd round DL is really going to solve your DL problem.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

I do see Leatherwood as a tackle more than a guard. It is the position he was drafted to play. To be honest I don't think he will be on the final 53.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I do see Leatherwood as a tackle more than a guard. It is the position he was drafted to play. To be honest I don't think he will be on the final 53.
If they don't bring in a vet swing T, I think kellen diesch has a chance to push borom for the swing T position

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Improving at almost every position group makes the league's worst team mediocre. It doesn't put them in the playoff hunt.

Everyone who says they need another building year to contend is right. But they are also wrong if they say it's okay to sleep on the Bears in '23. They will surprise some teams that are looking past them this year.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Your front office did nothing to improve the trenches. They emphasized luxury positions when they had a golden chance to make a difference on the DL. Just 1 viable starter in Hutchinson. The rest are rotational pieces.
Gibbs is a very good RB, and LaPorta is a very good TE. Two good picks IMO.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2023 is the year to see what we can do. 2024 is the year we start talking about division wins and playoffs.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Improving at almost every position group makes the league's worst team mediocre. It doesn't put them in the playoff hunt.

Everyone who says they need another building year to contend is right. But they are also wrong if they say it's okay to sleep on the Bears in '23. They will surprise some teams that are looking past them this year.
Almost no one reasonable thinks the Bears were the league's worst team last season. They had the worst record, but as we all know, they were an actual league apology level bad call away from one more win, another just as bad call, but no way the league apologizes 2 weeks in a row, from 2 more wins, and just competent WR play from a few more.

Playoff hunt is not unreasonable with 7of 16 teams making the playoffs per conference. No one is saying SB contender, but they just have to be a average to be in the playoff hunt , which the Bears are capable of accomplishing.