Don't worry about 2023, it's all about 2024 **Bear FTO** Mods free to ban offenders.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Not sure why this is a common theme.
This team while set on a course for failure by management early and latter gutted for assured failure yet still played 10 games to wins or within one score against the strongest SOS last season.

Here is how I see the position groups 2022 end of season and now:

-------------------------End of season----------------------------------------------------------------------------Going into 2023
Interior OL: Mustipher a huge negative drag on this group-----------------------------------Jenkins,WH, Davis- an above average nasty group
OT: Jones coming around late, Borom nothing better than back up---------------------------Jones, Wright below NFL average to start with big upside.
WR: When ESB leads your team in starts, and D Pettis leads in games played?----------Moore, Mooney, Claypool. Yes please
RB: DM, Herbert, Ebner -NFL average group, but Ebner ugh-----------------------------------Herbert, Foreman, Johnson. Big jump in explosive potential and no Ebner.
TE:Kmet and...did they have any other TE's?-------------------------------------------------------Kmet, Tonyan-again
QB: Justin Fields- young, inexperienced, inconsistent and improving-------------------------Justin Fields-more experienced, more protection, more weapons

IDL: Justin Jones and Armon Watts as your go to guys, ok--------------------------------------Jones,Billings, Dexter, Pickens -more beef, more potential
Edge: Gipson, Muhammad NFL worst group?------------------------------------------------------Gipson,Walker,Green---maybe not NFL worst, maybe not done yet
LB: Sandborn, Morrow,and Thomas, I think--------------------------------------------------------Edmonds, Edwards, Sandborn-Enough said
DB:JJ,Gordon, Vildor, Brisker,Carson----------------------------------------------------------------Minus Vildor is enough, but JJ, Gordon, Stevenson, Brisker, EJ, yep.

Now this isn't to say the Bears are going to go 12-5 and make a playoff run, but the roster ending last season could be argued to have been NFL worst at 4 position groups (OT, WR, IDL Edge). Other than a glaring need at edge, I see capable or better groups across the board. With GB on a downswing, the Vikings, and Lions,meh, and an very easy sos this season, I would not be surprised at a 10-11 season. I could also see a 7-8 win season, but Poles is no longer acting as tank commander, he has transitioned to the builder of juggernauts

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So how is it all the Bears young/new players take a step forward, yet a team like the Lions, who actually have MORE young talent, stay stagnant or regress?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
So how is it all the Bears young/new players take a step forward, yet a team like the Lions, who actually have MORE young talent, stay stagnant or regress?
Until the Lions show the aren't the same losers they have been for 65+ years, no one is going to take those ankle biters seriously.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Until the Lions show the aren't the same losers they have been for 65+ years, no one is going to take those ankle biters seriously.
Odd, seems as if plenty of people are taking them seriously, but then again, Bears fans where always pretty low on the learning curve.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
How long has it been since the Bears had a legit NFL QB?
No reason for anyone to take JF Seriously.
Same logic.
FFS here you go, subject is team expectations and you are setting up for your "Bears have never had a 4000 yard passer" sick burn.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I think on paper the Lions should win the division based on last year's strong finish. Now though 2023 is show me time, time to prove that you can win a weak division.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
FFS here you go, subject is team expectations and you are setting up for your "Bears have never had a 4000 yard passer" sick burn.
JF has 4,000 yds ............

If you count both years.

Don't team expectations largely hinge on JF progressing?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
packers_poll_lions_champs.png

Actually seems like no one is taking the Bears seriously.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Your front office did nothing to improve the trenches. They emphasized luxury positions when they had a golden chance to make a difference on the DL. Just 1 viable starter in Hutchinson. The rest are rotational pieces.

Canth

Liked Posts:
This thread is clearly about the expectations for the Bears for 2023 and showing how, at least on paper, they have shown improvements across the board in this year's roster. Please take the Lions talk to some other thread.

Now, on topic, I agree that there has been a pretty big roster overhaul and seemingly overall improvement. I think a lot of the talk of wait until 2024 comes in because people just don't want to be optimistic and Bears history doesn't give them much of a reason to be optimistic. I think people are just stuck in that "next year, next year will -really- be the year" mindset.

Personally, I expect the Bears to be in the playoff hunt this year. No idea if they will actually make the playoffs, but they absolutely should be expected to be playing well enough to at least still be in the discussion at the end of Nov, in December.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
It should be a fun year. "Don't worry" is good advice here, keep expectations low and enjoy the developmental stories as they come. I'm guessing 7-10 but fun plays from young players to keep things entertaining.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Imo this is a huge year for Braxton. He either shows improvement or the bears should like to use 1 of their firsts on a LT. Also look to improve center through FA or early in the draft.

Yeah, the Bears have definitely put a lot of faith in Braxton Jones. Here's hoping he is up to the challenge.

They definitely will need to address the center position next offseason. I am going to guess that both Whitehair and Lucas Patrick are likely gone next year. But hopefully they are good enough to get by this year.

For 2023, the only really obvious move to still make is the DE/Edge position. They seem to recognize that and have talked about it themselves, so I think that is clearly just a who and when, not an if. Once they do that, you can argue they should see real improvement in play of every single position group. That's a hell of a statement, both in where they were and the work they did this offseason.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I think on paper the Lions should win the division based on last year's strong finish. Now though 2023 is show me time, time to prove that you can win a weak division.
They should , but I don't think they will. I love that J Goff played well enough for the Lions to ignore the QB position in the 2 seasons they had draft capital to move up and get a highly regarded prospect. He will end up being a lesser version of Detroit Matt Stafford, a guy that you can't move on from, but can't win anything of substance.

I think the strong finish of the Lions was reminiscent of my earliest years as a Bears fan. In the late 70's the Bears would suck through 2/3rds of the season, then make a late season run to win 3-4 or 5-6 to just miss the playoffs or lose a wild card game, the future looked bright, but it was just rinse and repeat the next season.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
This thread is clearly about the expectations for the Bears for 2023 and showing how, at least on paper, they have shown improvements across the board in this year's roster. Please take the Lions talk to some other thread.
Bolded and enlarged for emphasis.

Agree 100%. I will and I ask everyone else to also ignore the troll whose goal is to derail.