Doug Pedo

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Pederson is not nagy.

Pederson was able to make Carson Wentz look like an MVP and win a Superbowl over Belichik and Brady with Nick Foles.

I am not saying he's perfect, but he's not Nagy.
You're right. I think my judgement is clouded by Nagy recency bias. Pederson hired good assistants and he listened to others. He was also supposed to be very analytically open-minded. He should be getting interviewed. I'd want to know what he thinks about Fields and how he'd build a team around him.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
He’s anti-nagy

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Calling @Pegger .

Can we get an expert to tell us a bit about Doug?

I remember not liking his coaching style much, but he had success. I could be talked into him. Always good to hear from a fan who watched a coach closely.
Pederson is from the Andy Reid coaching tree, so offensively there's similarities (insert Nagy PTSD here).

Being an Eagle fan I vividly recall saying both Doug and Andy passed way too much. Truthfully, that's just the evolution of the league. You have short passes against favorable defenses to get your QB in rhythm and keep the defense on their heels. Looking at 1st or 2nd down as 'running downs' is a historic way to look at things. When Kirk Cousins was in Washington the coach at the time Jay Gruden said something that always stuck with me. On first down you can run power or you know 85% of the time the corners are playing 7 yards deep with no help over top. A quick pass is free yards if you can execute regularly. This ties directly into how the league has evolved AND why fans are screaming for teams to run more. We, being fans, are used to certain obvious running situations where the league has shifted to looking at that same situation on a matchup basis.

Personally I've started to look at plays differently. Did the playmaker get the ball in their hands with 3 yards or less, 15 yards or less or deeper than 15 yards? Running plays are obviously 3 yards, so I've started to wonder how often is my team stressing the defense on a short, medium or deep level, disregarding if it's a run or pass.

With that being said, what can you expect from Doug? The main benefit is that he knows what an NFL QB has to do and IMHO is good at developing one. He's spent his entire career as a backup, watching some great players and watching not only how they perform, but also how they got there. That's a huge plus.

He's not afraid to run the hell out of the ball when looking to close out the game, he just doesn't do it much. I think this ties to the above statement where he values getting his QB in rhythm and attacking favorable matchups. Anyway, he's a huge players coach and outside of Wentz, was loved by the locker room. He's good at scheming players open and his running attack used multiple blocking logic, so it was hard to prepare for.

The real question is why did he fail? IMHO it was a combination of the following:
  • Coaching Wentz hard wore on him - Wentz is a very strong minded guy and needs to be coached hard. Doug is a bit of a softy and that took him outside his comfort zone.
  • Injuries - It's crazy to think how many injuries they had his entire coaching stint (including the 2017 season). How creative can a playcaller be when their top 3-4 passing options are not available?
  • Power struggle and 'small' thinking - Ownership wanted him to make a big move especially after the DC and OC were moving on and he wanted to develop his own coaches. He dug in and they agreed to part ways. I think it was amicable and there's an outside shot Doug was looking to get fired, but overall he got to a point where he was only going to do it his way.
I think he's a good players coach, can develop a QB and offensively can draw up good schemes. I do think he needs a QB who's easier to work with. For all these wholesome stories about Wentz he's still a diva and you could tell in weekly press conferences that working with him was making Doug question what he could accomplish.

Last edited:

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I like it. Doug Pederson is not a bad NFL coach. Upper management in Philly micromanaged the fuck out of that situation towards the end of his run and he eventually told everyone to fuck off. He's a retread that actually deserves a second shot, because he was really good at his job, not Leslie Frazier.
Not sure I agree with that.

His last year was a gong show. Wentz massively regressed and there was a 2-3 week period where he didn't talk to Doug. Imagine that, a player just wouldn't talk to the coach. That's nuts! There were a lot of injuries and you could see in press conferences Doug was being asked repeatedly about Wentz and Doug was actually defending him (without even talking to him!).

In the offseason it was known that DC Jim Schwartz and Senior Offensive Consultant (essentially the OC) Marty Mornhinweg were retiring. Every single season Owner, Jeff Lurie, would have exit interviews with his leadership just asking what their plan was. Understand Lurie gives that group a lot of resources to make things happen. Essentially the wallet is open if the coach has a good idea and going into the offseason he has an idea what they are building towards.

Doug's recommendations on those two key roles were to promote LB coach Ken Flajole and QB coach Press Taylor. The last one really was an attention getter because Taylor was somewhat of a Carson groupie and knowing Wentz needed 'hard coaching' those two didn't add up. Needless to say, this type of nomination almost seemed a bit lazy or too loyal to his current coaching staff. Lurie asked him to take the weekend and think of a 'bigger' plan for those two hires. Doug took the weekend, came back in the office and said he wanted to stick with the Flajole and Taylor promotions.

I believe that Pederson knew this would lead to him being let go. I keep thinking back to the weekly press conferences and he kept looking like he was aging at a rapid pace. I could imagine him having issues with Wentz, defending Wentz in the Philly media and ultimately failing just wore on him. Personally I feel that last season was so taxing he knew sticking with the original recommendations was essentially a paid sabbatical and he took it. Can't really blame him and I might do the same thing in his situation.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Not sure I agree with that.

His last year was a gong show. Wentz massively regressed and there was a 2-3 week period where he didn't talk to Doug. Imagine that, a player just wouldn't talk to the coach. That's nuts! There were a lot of injuries and you could see in press conferences Doug was being asked repeatedly about Wentz and Doug was actually defending him (without even talking to him!).

In the offseason it was known that DC Jim Schwartz and Senior Offensive Consultant (essentially the OC) Marty Mornhinweg were retiring. Every single season Owner, Jeff Lurie, would have exit interviews with his leadership just asking what their plan was. Understand Lurie gives that group a lot of resources to make things happen. Essentially the wallet is open if the coach has a good idea and going into the offseason he has an idea what they are building towards.

Doug's recommendations on those two key roles were to promote LB coach Ken Flajole and QB coach Press Taylor. The last one really was an attention getter because Taylor was somewhat of a Carson groupie and knowing Wentz needed 'hard coaching' those two didn't add up. Needless to say, this type of nomination almost seemed a bit lazy or too loyal to his current coaching staff. Lurie asked him to take the weekend and think of a 'bigger' plan for those two hires. Doug took the weekend, came back in the office and said he wanted to stick with the Flajole and Taylor promotions.

I believe that Pederson knew this would lead to him being let go. I keep thinking back to the weekly press conferences and he kept looking like he was aging at a rapid pace. I could imagine him having issues with Wentz, defending Wentz in the Philly media and ultimately failing just wore on him. Personally I feel that last season was so taxing he knew sticking with the original recommendations was essentially a paid sabbatical and he took it. Can't really blame him and I might do the same thing in his situation.
Thanks Pegger. Excellent stuff!

Honestly, if you put the Nagy ties aside, Pederson should be a legit candidate. He also strikes me as the type that will learn from his past experience and could be even better the second time around.

Also, @nc0gnet0 @aaronitout . This is how you go to another teams board and contribute.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Pedo officially on the interview list per Weiderer. Please don’t…
I can see a planning session in George's office with Polian, Soup, Tanesha and Teddy also in attendance.

George, "OK, so we all agree that Daboll is an intriguing possibility."

Everyone, "Yes, he is pretty close to the top."

George, "Ok, next is ..." "Ted, can you bring in the Pedo file?"

Teddy, "Sure, boss."

Teddy walks out and returns a few seconds later with ...

"I'm ba-ack!"
trestman2.jpg

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Anybody that Matt Nagy recommends, stay away from. They need to hire Nagy’s enemy

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I should add, Doug Pederson did one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

I was in Philly for the Superbowl parade/celebration. They were on these double decker busses with an open 2nd level and they were waving at fans. The busses were driving by a museum, which had a 4th story patio they rented out so people to enjoy the parade. One of the people on that level made eye contact to Doug, pointed at an unopened beer. Doug nodded and the guy threw a beer from about 50 feet away. Doug caught it with one hand, cracked the beer and pounded it.

It was amazing.

Last edited:

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:

I was in Philly for the Superbowl parade/celebration. They were on these double decker busses with an open 2nd level and they were waving at fans. The busses were driving by a museum, which had a 4th story patio they rented out so people to enjoy the parade. One of the people on that level made eye contact to Doug, pointed at an unopened beer. Doug nodded and the guy threw a beer from about 50 feet away. Doug caught it with one hand, cracked the beer and pounded it.

It was amazing.
And you think THAT makes a good leader of men? Pounding a BEER in front of dozens?

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
Honestly though, both games that were Nagy vs. Peterson I always felt like the Bears were thoroughly outcoached. . Nagy had a way more talented team, but Peterson was by far a better coach.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:

It was amazing.

I'm sold. Pederson is the guy.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And you think THAT makes a good leader of men? Pounding a BEER in front of dozens?

Is dozens the thing you have a problem with?

Shouldn't he have Stone-Cold'd that in front of thousands?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Dozens? No. He pounded a beer in front of tens of thousands. Women, elderly, children, dogs, cats and lesser men (like me) were just standing there, mouth open in awe, unable to properly process what we were witnessing.

What else could he do? Put on a leather jacket and punch a juke box to immediately start playing your favorite song?

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Dozens? No. He pounded a beer in front of tens of thousands. Women, elderly, children, dogs, cats and lesser men (like me) were just standing there, mouth open in awe, unable to properly process what we were witnessing.

What else could he do? Put on a leather jacket and punch a juke box to immediately start playing your favorite song?
ehhh...

I read an article a few years ago that Pederson and staff know Belichick and the tape that he would be watching so they were charting plays to the degree that they never repeated, so they would show the same formation but with a different play each time. I thought holy crap how do you even process all that it seems ridiculously complicated.

That being said he squeezed a great season out of Wentz and when Wentz got hurt he inserted our backup and kept right on winning culminating in beating the Sith Lord which IMO is a feat that is being minimized. He beat Nagy with a hot defense with a slightly less talented squad IMO.

I'm kind of done with the hot coordinator thing at this point and would prefer someone who has been a head coach...if I'm not mistaken Pederson was one Alshon drop away from beating the Saints and going to the NFC title game again a few years ago

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Agreed Pegger on Pederson. A qualified HC and if you can't find a better candidate he's solid. I am generally not a fan of NFL re-treads but he is one that is an exception to that rule.

As with Lovie, sometimes you are the right person at the right time. Fields needs a proven QB mentor after Nagy.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Pederson gives me John Fox/Nagy vibes. If y’all thought Nagy was stubborn wait until you see this guy…