Drafting out of Desperation

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Those are only one source of ratings.... not all.

Also... all ratings aside... I simply don't think much of most of the QBs from this class

This could have been your OP. You could have just left it there, as that's really all you've been saying. You don't like the QBs this year. Cool.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
so ur saying 2015 alex smith > 2015 jj watt??

As the teams stand right now.

Alex Smith has a better chance of winning a Superbowl than JJ Watt.

The Texans are the poster child for not passing on a QB to draft defense, all the defensive talent is never going to get them past Pitt or NE.

AussieBear

Why go back two years to 2015 specifically? Because that year, the 10th rated QB happened to be an ageing game manager having one of his best seasons?

I don't know many people who would consider Alex Smith a top 10 QB. He was 22nd last year, which is probably closer to his ranking.

Russell Wilson was 10th. Yes, Russell Wilson is more valuable than JJ Watt. Taking age out of the equation, since they're not going to be drafting 34-year olds, yes a top 10 QB is more valuable than JJ Watt.

because de all pro popped in me head.. and jj came to mind.. all pro season of 2015 vs the tenth rated qb (95.4)... who was alex smith

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Good post Big Tyme. I think what you are getting at is there is a limit to positional value.

The problem the Bears have is the "Mid 1st round QB" conundrum, which is as a GM you can't get away with saying you would take a potential franchise QB at #12 but not #3.

If the Bears value Trubisky as a late first rounder, you obviously pass. But if the Bears grade him as a top 15 prospect they find themselves squarely in the middle of the conundrum.

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
The problem with this logic is.....you get what you pay for. If you don't take a QB at 3, you are pretty much guaranteed to NOT get the 1st one. If you don't get the first one, that lowers your chances of getting the best one. If you don't get the best one, odds are, you are getting a QB that's not good enough. If you don't get a QB that's good enough....then what's the point? You are drafting a QB for the sake of drafting a QB.

Not OK with taking a QB at 3, but think it's justified for a team to take one at 6 or 12? What's the damn difference? 3-9 picks? Picks that the Bears don't even have and don't have possible to get, if they want the best QB. You can't just go, "oh well, we lost too many games to get the best QB because we don't want to pick the 12th best prospect at 3". Just like you'll have the issue of not losing enough games to get the #1 pick where elite QBs are typically taken. That's how you end up with Jay Cutler owning all your franchise passing records. Because you settle for a QB when you feel comfortable taking him.....after everyone else has already yaken who they've wanted.
Again... i said the first QB may come off the board at #6.... and I said I doubt it... so that does not suggest comfort. At #12... yeah. But the main factor in that is other players who are available. If other top five players besides Garrett were at positions the Bears did not have an urgent need to fill.... that MAY influence my thinking.... but there are players at positions of need rated top five who would be instant starters on this team.
As well... Im still sticking by the drafting trends I noted.
Also in terms of getting what you paid for.................... I could pay $100, 000 for a Ford Taurus.... that in no way suddenly make it a better car than a Cadillac Escalade... I just paid more for a car which wasn't worth the price. Just because you draft a QB at #3 that's not even rated in the top twenty... does not suddenly make him a top five prospect.... he is still a player not rated that high that you took at a high draft position. Thats like saying because I drafted Bridgewater #3... I expect him to be the same caliber prospect as Jamis Winston. One gay was a top five prospect.. was drafted like a top five prospect and has so far played like he was a top five prospect....... the other.... was a mid to 1st late round prospect.. was drafted like a mid to late 1st round prospect.... and has played like a mid to late 1st round prospect on his best days.

AussieBear

because de all pro popped in me head.. and jj came to mind.. all pro season of 2015 vs the tenth rated qb (95.4)... who was alex smith

at this point shea has a better chance of winning his 2nd ring before alex smith wins an afc title..

Luke

Liked Posts:
"Also in terms of getting what you paid for.................... I could pay $100, 000 for a Ford Taurus.... that in no way suddenly make it a better car than a Cadillac Escalade... I just paid more for a car which wasn't worth the price. Just because you draft a QB at #3 that's not even rated in the top twenty... does not suddenly make him a top five prospect.... he is still a player not rated that high that you took at a high draft position. Thats like saying because I drafted Bridgewater #3... I expect him to be the same caliber prospect as Jamis Winston. One gay was a top five prospect.. was drafted like a top five prospect and has so far played like he was a top five prospect....... the other.... was a mid to 1st late round prospect.. was drafted like a mid to late 1st round prospect.... and has played like a mid to late 1st round prospect on his best days. "

nicely stated

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
Those are only one source of ratings.... not all.

Also... all ratings aside... I simply don't think much of most of the QBs from this class.... they all need major work and time to develop. I'ld just as soon draft one at a lower round..... and IF the need exist next season... draft again. Though the team isnt likely to be top five again... but the talent level that should be available picking in the teens would be equivalent to the picking the top talent this year... or they can make a trade up next year to grab a QB from what early looks to be a stronger class of prospects.

You seem to suggest your view is the only possible way to look at these QBs. Being skeptical of them is fine, but flat out saying no one is worth it, or they're equivalent to next years teen picks isn't anything you could possibly know.

If you're wrong and we miss the next big thing because you thought the QB should go 12 instead of 3, what then? We miss out on a good safety, life goes on, we miss out on a possibly franchise changing QB and we'll be feeling it for years.

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
Good post Big Tyme. I think what you are getting at is there is a limit to positional value.

The problem the Bears have is the "Mid 1st round QB" conundrum, which is as a GM you can't get away with saying you would take a potential franchise QB at #12 but not #3.

If the Bears value Trubisky as a late first rounder, you obviously pass. But if the Bears grade him as a top 15 prospect they find themselves squarely in the middle of the conundrum.
Bringing in Glennon removed the 'must take' status of QB for the Bears. If any one can't see that... they are blind. Once the must take status was removed.... that freed the Bears up to take the BPA regardless of position.... and I highly doubt if their board will have any of the QBs as BPA when #3 rolls around.

AussieBear

"Also in terms of getting what you paid for.................... I could pay $100, 000 for a Ford Taurus.... that in no way suddenly make it a better car than a Cadillac Escalade... I just paid more for a car which wasn't worth the price. Just because you draft a QB at #3 that's not even rated in the top twenty... does not suddenly make him a top five prospect.... he is still a player not rated that high that you took at a high draft position. Thats like saying because I drafted Bridgewater #3... I expect him to be the same caliber prospect as Jamis Winston. One gay was a top five prospect.. was drafted like a top five prospect and has so far played like he was a top five prospect....... the other.... was a mid to 1st late round prospect.. was drafted like a mid to late 1st round prospect.... and has played like a mid to late 1st round prospect on his best days. "

nicely stated

its worth that in singapore... focus be like 100k.. focus rs 200K.. true story

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bringing in Glennon removed the 'must take' status of QB for the Bears. If any one can't see that... they are blind. Once the must take status was removed.... that freed the Bears up to take the BPA regardless of position.... and I highly doubt if their board will have any of the QBs as BPA when #3 rolls around.

Depends on what the goal is. IMO, if you are looking to win a super bowl, there is no reason that the most important position became any less of a need with Glennon. He is here to get us to the next guy, he doesn't impact the need of the position.

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
You seem to suggest your view is the only possible way to look at these QBs. Being skeptical of them is fine, but flat out saying no one is worth it, or they're equivalent to next years teen picks isn't anything you could possibly know.

If you're wrong and we miss the next big thing because you thought the QB should go 12 instead of 3, what then? We miss out on a good safety, life goes on, we miss out on a possibly franchise changing QB and we'll be feeling it for years.
There is a whole lot of things no one can truly know. Assuming Glennon will suck.... who truly knows? Most clamoring for a QB at #3 act as if his suckage is written in stone.
Here is the glory about being a fan and not the GM... ultimately what I think... what we think... is irrelevant. The whole off season is just a bunch of arm chiar GMS using thier wits to try and guess what the team will or should do.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
QBs always go 10-15 picks higher than they probably should based on equal waiting of grades.

Unfortunately the grades are not looked at equal.

It is like 7'ers in basketball. They are rare so you need to over draft them.
I don't disagree with your point, but your comparison is quickly becoming obsolete.

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
Depends on what the goal is. IMO, if you are looking to win a super bowl, there is no reason that the most important position became any less of a need with Glennon. He is here to get us to the next guy, he doesn't impact the need of the position.
And here we have example A. Glennon's suckage is preordained. No one knows what the teams potential will be with him under centers.... no more than they can know the potential with any QB drafted this year.

Madden

Liked Posts:
Pace may not want to be aggressive but the draft has proven other teams will when it comes to QB's. 4 could be gone before our 2nd round pick, so if we do go defense at #3, I hope Pace is ready to trade up or be satisfied with whatever 5th best QB is still on the board.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Most clamoring for a QB at #3 act as if his suckage is written in stone.

So to review your stance on the QBs .....

Every QB in the draft = bust.

Mike Glennon, a former 3rd round pick who was mediocre, benched and discarded by his team who drafted another QB = position answered to the point that the Bears no longer need a QB and can just go BPA.

Sounds legit.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Again... i said the first QB may come off the board at #6.... and I said I doubt it... so that does not suggest comfort. At #12... yeah. But the main factor in that is other players who are available. If other top five players besides Garrett were at positions the Bears did not have an urgent need to fill.... that MAY influence my thinking.... but there are players at positions of need rated top five who would be instant starters on this team.
As well... Im still sticking by the drafting trends I noted.
Also in terms of getting what you paid for.................... I could pay $100, 000 for a Ford Taurus.... that in no way suddenly make it a better car than a Cadillac Escalade... I just paid more for a car which wasn't worth the price. Just because you draft a QB at #3 that's not even rated in the top twenty... does not suddenly make him a top five prospect.... he is still a player not rated that high that you took at a high draft position. Thats like saying because I drafted Bridgewater #3... I expect him to be the same caliber prospect as Jamis Winston. One gay was a top five prospect.. was drafted like a top five prospect and has so far played like he was a top five prospect....... the other.... was a mid to 1st late round prospect.. was drafted like a mid to late 1st round prospect.... and has played like a mid to late 1st round prospect on his best days.

When has anyone said that? The bottom line is you think the top QB is the 20th best player, I think there's 3 QBs better than that.