Duncan Keith traded to Edmonton

Vegas Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
Can't blame Keith for wanting to be closer to family, but part of it, I think, is that he was just tired of playing for Colliton and a mediocre team. At this stage of the game he's better off as a 2nd or 3rd pair d-man anyway. Now the Hawks are forced to go out and get a 1st pair d-man, but with Bowman, it's impossible to tell how it will play out.

I don't know much about Caleb Jones, but it sure looks like he's the carrot that gets dangled before the horse.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Can't blame Keith for wanting to be closer to family, but part of it, I think, is that he was just tired of playing for Colliton and a mediocre team. At this stage of the game he's better off as a 2nd or 3rd pair d-man anyway. Now the Hawks are forced to go out and get a 1st pair d-man, but with Bowman, it's impossible to tell how it will play out.

I don't know much about Caleb Jones, but it sure looks like he's the carrot that gets dangled before the horse.

Good! Hopefully Toe's is next to remove his No Trade clause!!!!

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Why is no one talking about the huge loss of sonderland. Hahaha

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Good trade for Keith and the Hawks. Stan took advantage of Holland who just loves veterans that can't play at a high level anymore. Stan clears cap and gets a young defender that is suited for the 3rd pair. Keith gets to be closer to his son as his career winds down, and he gets to play on a better team on paper at least. Edmonton is desperate to even get out of the 1st round so Holland must think a veteran presence with 3 Cups on his resume is worth the risk.

The question is what does Stan do now with all this cap space (Keith, Shaw, and Seabrook all gone now). Hawks can possible shed even more cap depending on how the expansion draft unfolds (CDH perhaps?). My gut feeling is that Toews plans to play, but I could see his condition flaring up again so really he is a big question mark.

I'm firmly in the camp that the best move is to take on expiring contracts from contenders and bleed them for picks and prospects. Vegas needs to clear cap and MAF is an expiring deal. If you can get a 1st or one of their better prospects, why not? Tyler Johnson in Tampa is another option, but the Lightning would need to pay through the nose since he is signed for 3 more years at 5.5 per. Essentially it would be 1 more year of Keith but perhaps you can get a 1st and one of their better prospects in the process. If you acquire Johnson, I would deal Strome so really you are only adding 2 million in cap. The Hawks are in a full rebuild no matter what Stan says (GM speak) so they need to keep stacking assets and plan for 3-4 years down the road.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Good trade for Keith and the Hawks. Stan took advantage of Holland who just loves veterans that can't play at a high level anymore. Stan clears cap and gets a young defender that is suited for the 3rd pair. Keith gets to be closer to his son as his career winds down, and he gets to play on a better team on paper at least. Edmonton is desperate to even get out of the 1st round so Holland must think a veteran presence with 3 Cups on his resume is worth the risk.

The question is what does Stan do now with all this cap space (Keith, Shaw, and Seabrook all gone now). Hawks can possible shed even more cap depending on how the expansion draft unfolds (CDH perhaps?). My gut feeling is that Toews plans to play, but I could see his condition flaring up again so really he is a big question mark.

I'm firmly in the camp that the best move is to take on expiring contracts from contenders and bleed them for picks and prospects. Vegas needs to clear cap and MAF is an expiring deal. If you can get a 1st or one of their better prospects, why not? Tyler Johnson in Tampa is another option, but the Lightning would need to pay through the nose since he is signed for 3 more years at 5.5 per. Essentially it would be 1 more year of Keith but perhaps you can get a 1st and one of their better prospects in the process. If you acquire Johnson, I would deal Strome so really you are only adding 2 million in cap. The Hawks are in a full rebuild no matter what Stan says (GM speak) so they need to keep stacking assets and plan for 3-4 years down the road.
I like this approach but don’t trust the gm

gopher72

Liked Posts:

Can’t play at a high level? Do we have a blue liner who can?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
So Bowman actually fleeced another team? Im going to go play the lottery today!

Granada

Liked Posts:
@Granada, I noticed that you yawned at this, but have yet to explain why. Care to share?

Do I really need to? Okay, I guess, but that defeats the purpose/convenience of the emoji...

I'm not trying to downplay this scandal itself or say it isn't important -- it is and I'd be fine with heads rolling -- but the whole "Chicago Blackhawks won't even be a franchise anymore" (paraphrasing) alarmist schtick is and has been old. I also yawned because it seems like the only times you ever post here, are when there's some sort of scandal going on (at least since I've been here, which hasn't been long, admittedly). Lastly, I yawned because it's just silly to blindly insinuate that Keith has some nefarious knowledge on the subject, which you provide no proof of in said post I yawned at.

Last edited:

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
C Jones was unable to stay in a lineup full time that has few good D-men and didn't dress for a single(they only had four....LOL)playoff game this year @24...........the only 'fleece' here is the extra one Dunks will have to wear when it's 40 below! Oiler fans wouldn't know a good fucking D-man if he kicked em square in the ass!
The 3rd will come next year which should give our scouting staff plenty of time to look for more frail,timid Euros to waste it on and more cap space to squander too.

The Oilers are the epitome of regular season wonders even though they have two of the best offensive players on the planet. Pay these millennial,underachievers like champions before they are champions and they'll never be champions.........SWEPT BY THE JETS!

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It seems I've insulted the president of the Brett 'buyout' Connolly fan club.......LOFL!!!!!!

Granada

Liked Posts:
C Jones was unable to stay in a lineup full time that has few good D-men and didn't dress for a single(they only had four....LOL)playoff game this year @24...........the only 'fleece' here is the extra one Dunks will have to wear when it's 40 below! Oiler fans wouldn't know a good fucking D-man if he kicked em square in the ass!
The 3rd will come next year which should give our scouting staff plenty of time to look for more frail,timid Euros to waste it on and more cap space to squander too.

The Oilers are the epitome of regular season wonders even though they have two of the best offensive players on the planet. Pay these millennial,underachievers like champions before they are champions and they'll never be champions.........SWEPT BY THE JETS!

Yeah, I really don't see this as a true "fleecing." Worst case scenario, is that Keith underperforms for the Oilers and they buy out the last year of his contract, but it's not like we stole a Grade A prospect from them. I don't consider "salary dumps" in the same light as "fleeces." In the end, this may be all this trade ends up being for the Hawks.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I really don't see this as a true "fleecing." Worst case scenario, is that Keith underperforms for the Oilers and they buy out the last year of his contract, but it's not like we stole a Grade A prospect from them. I don't consider "salary dumps" in the same light as "fleeces." In the end, this may be all this trade ends up being for the Hawks.

Keeping absolutely nothing of his contract and getting a 3rd rounder is a fleecing. Also, Caleb is just a throw-in to possibly make a trade for Seth Jones more appealing for Seth? Just a thought.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Keeping absolutely nothing of his contract and getting a 3rd rounder is a fleecing. Also, Caleb is just a throw-in to possibly make a trade for Seth Jones more appealing for Seth? Just a thought.

No, it's not. A fleecing is when you trade a shit player (which Keith isn't) for a stud (which Jones isn't). What you described is a salary dump.

It's too early to say either way. Everything hinges on whether or not Keith plays well next year.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
No, it's not. A fleecing is when you trade a shit player (which Keith isn't) for a stud (which Jones isn't). What you described is a salary dump.

It's too early to say either way. Everything hinges on whether or not Keith plays well next year.

A salary dump can be a fleecing. No reputable hockey journalist thought this was a good deal for them even if he plays well. Any decent GM that realized that Bowman had zero leverage here was going to be able to do dump 100% of his salary.

Granada

Liked Posts:
A salary dump can be a fleecing. No reputable hockey journalist thought this was a good deal for them even if he plays well. Any decent GM that realized that Bowman had zero leverage here was going to be able to do dump 100% of his salary.

Edmonton journalists -- yeah -- but not all.

A salary dump isn't a fleecing to me, as I said in my first response to the subject. The Hawks -- nor Edmonton -- are not in salary trouble; Keith's contract isn't astronomical for a top-4 D-man in today's NHL (that's a bargain, actually); and he only has two years left on his contract. So again, I really don't see this as a fleecing.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Edmonton journalists -- yeah -- but not all.

A salary dump isn't a fleecing to me, as I said in my first response to the subject. The Hawks -- nor Edmonton -- are not in salary trouble; Keith's contract isn't astronomical for a top-4 D-man in today's NHL (that's a bargain, actually); and he only has two years left on his contract. So again, I really don't see this as a fleecing.

The Hawks had no leverage here. It was a complete fuck up on the Oilers part

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I agree with everything...

But let's say your the tin man and have no heart...in that case you would want to buy Duncan Keith so I love this move for all parties.