Early Talk of Loaded ‘22 Free Agent Class (Bears have space for a big ticket guy)

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Pretty loaded draft for all positions outside QB. Some big name players at many positions the Bears have needs at, and my understanding is the Bears should have money for 1 big ticket free agent even with an A rob extension, and 2 if he walks.

Who do you target next year if you are Ryan Pace? The notable names:

Receivers:

Devonte Adams
Calvin Ridley
Chris Godwin
Wil Fuller
Juju Smith
Robbie Anderson
DJ Moore

OL:

Taylor Moton
Ryan Jensen
David Decastro
Orlando Brown Jr
Brandon Scherff
Ryan Ramczyk

Tight End:

Evan Engram
Zach Ertz
Mike Gesicki

RB:

Nick Chubb

Defense:

Von Miller
Chandler Jones
Vita Vita
Daron Payne
Jonathan Allen
Stephon Gilmore

The Bears have needs basically everywhere minus QB (imagine saying that 2 weeks ago) but I think the Bears are fucked if Jenkins can’t pan out at LT. All the great talent next year is at RT, assuming the Chiefs didn’t give up all those picks not to resign Brown Jr.

If Jenkins is legit, they need to go all out for Moton, but I’d be shocked if he doesn’t extend with the Panthers.

To me, I’d be happy with letting A Rob walk and signing a guy like Juju or Moore for significantly less and getting 90% of the production, or signing a guy like Godwin or Ridley for similar money who project to be way better and are way younger.

Chris Godwin, Ridley, Juju and/or DJ Moore make the most sense from a fit standpoint and depending on cost.

For OL, Moton, Jensen or Ramcyzk would all potentially be a great fit.

If they come away with something like Moton and Ridley, that’s a home run off season

Last edited:

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Ridley and Moore aren't going anywhere, they are on 5th year options....

Yeah I figured some of the names might not be available, but some of these like Godwin or Juju, I’d be shocked if they are re-signed. The Steelers ain’t resigning Juju over Watt and the Bucs can’t keep Godwin if they want to resign their OL next year

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yeah I figured some of the names might not be available, but some of these like Godwin or Juju, I’d be shocked if they are re-signed. The Steelers ain’t resigning Juju over Watt and the Bucs can’t keep Godwin if they want to resign their OL next year

Those guys may be free agents, but Arob is still better than both. I'd rather just keep him, tbh. Now if we could get JuJu as well that would be the perfect slot guy for nagy. Doubtful it happens, but a man can dream. Give him that money you save from cutting loose jimmy graham+foles.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Pretty loaded draft for all positions outside QB. Some big name players at many positions the Bears have needs at, and my understanding is the Bears should have money for 1 big ticket free agent even with an A rob extension, and 2 if he walks.

Receivers:

Devonte Adams
Calvin Ridley
Chris Godwin
Wil Fuller
Juju Smith
Robbie Anderson
DJ Moore

OL:

Taylor Moton
Ryan Jensen
David Decastro
Orlando Brown Jr
Brandon Scherff
Ryan Ramczyk

Tight End:

Evan Engram
Zach Ertz
Mike Gesicki

RB:

Nick Chubb

Defense:

Von Miller
Chandler Jones
Vita Vita
Daron Payne
Jonathan Allen
Stephon Gilmore

The Bears have needs basically everywhere minus QB (imagine saying that 2 weeks ago) but I think the Bears are fucked if Jenkins can’t pan out at LT. All the great talent next year is at RT, assuming the Chiefs didn’t give up all those picks not to resign Brown Jr.

If Jenkins is legit, they need to go all out for Moton, but I’d be shocked if he doesn’t extend with the Panthers.

To me, I’d be happy with letting A Rob walk and signing a guy like Juju or Moore for significantly less and getting 90% of the production, or signing a guy like Godwin or Ridley for similar money who project to be way better and are way younger.

Chris Godwin, Ridley, Juju and/or DJ Moore make the most sense from a fit standpoint and depending on cost.

If they come away with something like Moton and Ridley, that’s a home run off season

I am just sitting here thinking about pace signing Robbie Anderson. Yooooooooo!!!!!

We get that guy? Holy shit!

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Jonathan Allen would be a good signing to replace Hicks. Would live DJ Moore, but he may not be available.
I like the Allen idea. We definitely need to get younger on defense. If we re-sign Robinson, I like JuJu more for the Bears than Moore. I just think he could be had for a cheaper price. Moore is the #1 in Carolina where JuJu hasn't proven he's a #1. Still, I expect some desperate team to pay JuJu #1 money.

Perspective

Liked Posts:
LOL .... teams are not going to let players like Vita Vae just walk in FA .... too early for this discussion .... also, we need to how our players do this year .... can Mooney and KMet take the next step? Can Jenkins be starting OT (does not matter RT or LT)? Can the interior OL perform again this year at the level they did second half of last year? Can Quinn rebound on D? Do we have CBs that can play in the NFL (big question mark at this position)? Will EJax ever live up to his hype? Will ARob sign a reasonable extension now that we added all this talent around him in the draft? And the biggest question mark - is Fields a franchise QB?

The only sure things we know are Mack and Roquan are studs and going nowhere and we do not have a first round pick next year .... we need to assess the rest and then decide what to do with our own players, especially the FAs.

This division is totally up for grabs for the next 10 years for the Bears given even if Rodgers returns, he has maybe 2 more years left .... Vikings and Det have huge question marks at QB and next year's draft class is not that good and we can easily see teams like the Texans sucking really hard this year (assuming Watson is done) and picking the best QB that comes out of the draft with the first pick of the draft ,,,,

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think arob gets locked in eventually. From there I’m targeting OL (assuming no surprise emergences) and young defensive talent with upside. CB especially, again, if no one steps up. On the surface the bears have two big holes at outside CB and slot. I would focus my attention on making OL, DL, and CB strong and deep. I’m good at WR and RB. Robinson, Mooney, Montgomery and some of the younger guys at both positions lend some faith in the overall depth. RB especially is an easy position to address. Having a bonafide slot receiver would be nice though

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Might want an ILB as Travathan gets older. Even though he's on the sidelines 60% of the time (whenever in nickle or dime).

Speaking of, could get a known good nickle CB or even safety opposite of Eddie.

Crazy backwards thought: How about they pay early / frontload a few contracts to allow guys to stay for cheaper later on?? Prevent our own cap casualties and have more FA flexibility in the future??

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

Receivers:

Devonte Adams
Calvin Ridley
Chris Godwin
Wil Fuller
Juju Smith
Robbie Anderson
DJ Moore

OL:

Taylor Moton
Ryan Jensen
David Decastro
Orlando Brown Jr
Brandon Scherff
Ryan Ramczyk

Tight End:

Evan Engram
Zach Ertz
Mike Gesicki

RB:

Nick Chubb

Defense:

Von Miller
Chandler Jones
Vita Vita
Daron Payne
Jonathan Allen
Stephon Gilmore

WR is the only group with any players that interest me. Even those guys won't hit the open market.

Ramczyk at OT definitely won't hit the open market because the Saints won't have to pay Brees.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Receivers:

Devonte Adams
Calvin Ridley
Chris Godwin
Wil Fuller
Juju Smith
Robbie Anderson
DJ Moore

OL:

Taylor Moton
Ryan Jensen
David Decastro
Orlando Brown Jr
Brandon Scherff
Ryan Ramczyk

Tight End:

Evan Engram
Zach Ertz
Mike Gesicki

RB:

Nick Chubb

Defense:

Von Miller
Chandler Jones
Vita Vita
Daron Payne
Jonathan Allen
Stephon Gilmore

I'd wait until the 2023 FA class fwiw

bullsrose

Liked Posts:
Bears need to resign ARob, Roquan Smith and James Daniels….that’s assuming we let akeim hicks and a few other notables walk

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
The reality is we do not yet know what the critical positions are, because if the QB, OL, WR, and TEs all step up this year, then you are looking at depth guys and that can be found in the remaining draft picks we still have.

What if CB play is better than anticipated with at least one of the younger guys (Shelly Vildor or Graham (r)) steping into roles and playing well?

The Best FA WR will be Robinson, in my opinion, so I hope they keep him.

The way the team is shaping out, Pace focused on some speed guys (Goodwin and Byrd) paired with Mooney to give the QBs a deep option, but that might actually help take all the double teams off AR, but only if we can hit on some deep passes, but that is not Daltons game any longer, soooooo.....

I honestly hope they look internally and reward the good players on the team, let any that are not living up to their contracts go, and simply see how they can fill the holes in FA at critical positions.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Those guys may be free agents, but Arob is still better than both. I'd rather just keep him, tbh. Now if we could get JuJu as well that would be the perfect slot guy for nagy. Doubtful it happens, but a man can dream. Give him that money you save from cutting loose jimmy graham+foles.
JuJu is a headcase thats a hard pass. Plus Mooney is better then him. Also, we still don't know what we have in Ridley.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The glaring need on paper for next year looks to be at WR. Robinson, Miller, Wims, Goodwin, and Byrd all FAs. Only have Mooney, Newsome and Ridley under contract for 2022, and Ridley may not even make it that far. So, I would look hard at that WR class. Adams seems unlikely, but if Rodgers goes, he might as well. Ridley's not going anywhere as they'll probably trade Julio between now and 2022. DJ Moore will be on his 5th year option. The guys I think the Bears could look at are Robbie Anderson and Will Fuller. Both teams drafted a WR early (Carolina- Marshall, Miami- Waddle), so I don't think they'd be in a hurry to re-sign either. Both are fantastic fits for what Fields likes to do, get the ball downfield, and neither should be top of the market expensive.

FWIW, 2022 Bears under contract (not including potential practice squad holdovers):
QB- Fields (technically Foles is too, but no way he sees 2022 on this roster)
RB- Montgomery, Cohen, Herbert
WR- Mooney, Newsome
TE- Kmet
OT- Jenkins
OG- Whitehair, Borom, Hambright
C- Mustipher
DL- Goldman, Tonga, Blackson, Edwards
OLB- Mack, Attaochu, Gipson, Vaughters? (Quinn will be cut)
ILB- Smith, Trevathan (cut candidate)
CB- Johnson, Vildor, Graham, Shelley?
S- Jackson,

Starters needed at WR (also need depth), RT, 2nd OLB, maybe 2nd CB, SS, 2nd ILB. Need depth at QB, TE, OT, S, ILB.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The glaring need on paper for next year looks to be at WR. Robinson, Miller, Wims, Goodwin, and Byrd all FAs. Only have Mooney, Newsome and Ridley under contract for 2022, and Ridley may not even make it that far. So, I would look hard at that WR class. Adams seems unlikely, but if Rodgers goes, he might as well. Ridley's not going anywhere as they'll probably trade Julio between now and 2022. DJ Moore will be on his 5th year option. The guys I think the Bears could look at are Robbie Anderson and Will Fuller. Both teams drafted a WR early (Carolina- Marshall, Miami- Waddle), so I don't think they'd be in a hurry to re-sign either. Both are fantastic fits for what Fields likes to do, get the ball downfield, and neither should be top of the market expensive.

FWIW, 2022 Bears under contract (not including potential practice squad holdovers):
QB- Fields (technically Foles is too, but no way he sees 2022 on this roster)
RB- Montgomery, Cohen, Herbert
WR- Mooney, Newsome
TE- Kmet
OT- Jenkins
OG- Whitehair, Borom, Hambright
C- Mustipher
DL- Goldman, Tonga, Blackson, Edwards
OLB- Mack, Attaochu, Gipson, Vaughters? (Quinn will be cut)
ILB- Smith, Trevathan (cut candidate)
CB- Johnson, Vildor, Graham, Shelley?
S- Jackson,

Starters needed at WR (also need depth), RT, 2nd OLB, maybe 2nd CB, SS, 2nd ILB. Need depth at QB, TE, OT, S, ILB.
I think Bars in there too.

But overall they will need alot of help.