Ed Dodds

Imabearsfan

Liked Posts:
These are great media quotes and feed the meatball in all of us, but working for people that motivate this way wears off fast. These are adults, If you need to motivate people that bad to excel at their jobs you've hired the wrong people.

I'm not saying we shouldn't hire him, totally open minded to him, just curious as others have asked, what is it we like about him? I can't find much about what he directly contributed in Seattle or Indy.
That's his personality, but more importantly, he's a master talent evaluator and great communicator with his coaches. What more could you want? He's not a Ra-ra guy. He's fiery but KNOWS HIS SHIT.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He seems to be a top GM candidate. Besides his time in Seattle and Indy, does anyone know anything about this guy? I can’t find anything else online.

How old is he? Where did he grow up? What was he doing before Seattle?

Just curious.
Ballards right hand man. Widely regarded as one of the top talent evaluators in the league. Helped Seattle put together SB team then Ballard lured him to Indy. Has been a top GM target for awhile.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Nothing against this guy, but that's two 'top' GM targets and one top HC target from an organization with one playoff win in the last seven years.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Dobbs/Harbaugh

Inject some testosterone upstairs and if nothing else, there would be some real sparks for better or worse.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He was a teenage intern for Oakland and Al Davis. Story has it Dodds was the only staffer Davis would allow in the weight room, took a liking to the kid. He's known Ballard for over 20 years, since days at Texas A&M Kingsville. Ballard vowed that if he ever got into a position of authority, he was bringing Dodds along. That's how he eventually poached Dodds.
Just curious, how do u know all this?

Imabearsfan

Liked Posts:
Nothing against this guy, but that's two 'top' GM targets and one top HC target from an organization with one playoff win in the last seven years.
TBF, I always thought Reich sucked and was way overrated. Took that dude forever to really feature Taylor. And his in-game play calling is terrible IMO, very Doug Pederson like.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Dodds and Harbaugh is a combination I could easily live with.

But the mentality of "get some testosterone in the building" is so ridiculous.

There are a thousand former players on TV, radio, social media always talking this way and no smart team would touch them for a leadership position.

But specific to Dodds and Harbaugh, both are highly considered for the positions we'd be considering them for so it's not just because they "wanna kick some ass".

dennehy

Liked Posts:
TBF, I always thought Reich sucked and was way overrated. Took that dude forever to really feature Taylor. And his in-game play calling is terrible IMO, very Doug Pederson like.
They have some great draft picks and some that haven't been so good. They have the best run blocking OL in the league and a very good RB. Their other talent is spotty imo. When I look at their drafts I see a lot of misses. Really outside of 2018 I don't see one above average draft since Ballard has been there.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
They have some great draft picks and some that haven't been so good. They have the best run blocking OL in the league and a very good RB. Their other talent is spotty imo. When I look at their drafts I see a lot of misses. Really outside of 2018 I don't see one above average draft since Ballard has been there.
This is what I'm concerned about with all the Colts focus too. Ballard has a lot of friends in the media so they are very highly regarded when talked about , but there isn't a more overrated organization in football. They are not true contenders in the AFC. This is also a team that gave up a first and a third for Carson Wentz. All I'm saying is if the Bears gave that up for a QB who put up a 4.4 QBR in a play in game against the worst team in football, it would be endless ridicule and the lead story in the league. For the Colts, it's not even mentioned outside of Indy.

Dodds did spend a lot of time in Seattle during a very successful time, so that is a positive in his column. I do prefer candidates who have spent time with more than one organization.

Imabearsfan

Liked Posts:
This is what I'm concerned about with all the Colts focus too. Ballard has a lot of friends in the media so they are very highly regarded when talked about , but there isn't a more overrated organization in football. They are not true contenders in the AFC. This is also a team that gave up a first and a third for Carson Wentz. All I'm saying is if the Bears gave that up for a QB who put up a 4.4 QBR in a play in game against the worst team in football, it would be endless ridicule and the lead story in the league. For the Colts, it's not even mentioned outside of Indy.

Dodds did spend a lot of time in Seattle during a very successful time, so that is a positive in his column. I do prefer candidates who have spent time with more than one organization.
The Wentz trade when it happened was a head scratcher for me. But it honestly felt more like a move to appease Reich than anything else. Almost like ok, we'll get you your toy this one time. If you watched Hard Knocks, you'll see the huge connection between Reich and Wentz. Regardless, it was a stupid trade.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
The Wentz trade when it happened was a head scratcher for me. But it honestly felt more like a move to appease Reich than anything else. Almost like ok, we'll get you your toy this one time. If you watched Hard Knocks, you'll see the huge connection between Reich and Wentz. Regardless, it was a stupid trade.
I need to catch up on that Hard Knocks and I'm going to look up that Athletic article on Dodds, thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah, I do believe that Reich wanted Wentz and a GM and HC should work together, but that was still a bad trade. I just have a couple of concerns with Indy's approach under Ballard. He's had some great picks, but he has traded out of the 1st round three times now. Once for Deforest Bucker(good player), once for Wentz(bad player), and once a trade back for a couple of seconds that didn't produce much. We just got done with Pace dealing away firsts, I just don't want to repeat that approach. The other concern is again, Indy has made some good picks, but they have spent a lot of draft capital on positions like interior OL, MLB, RB, and Safety. These are not high value positions in the NFL and the Colts seriously lack some skill position talent. Fields needs someone to get him playmakers and I want to see a focus on building a modern high powered offense.

None of this means Dodds will have the same approach, and we have no idea about his influence in these areas, but that is why I am asking why people are so high on him. I have read the same that he is a respected talent evaluator and people seem to say he has good leadership qualities, but that is said about all of these GM candidates. I'm a little worried that Ballard's media adoration is hyping up their front office and coaching staffs.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I need to catch up on that Hard Knocks and I'm going to look up that Athletic article on Dodds, thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah, I do believe that Reich wanted Wentz and a GM and HC should work together, but that was still a bad trade. I just have a couple of concerns with Indy's approach under Ballard. He's had some great picks, but he has traded out of the 1st round three times now. Once for Deforest Bucker(good player), once for Wentz(bad player), and once a trade back for a couple of seconds that didn't produce much. We just got done with Pace dealing away firsts, I just don't want to repeat that approach. The other concern is again, Indy has made some good picks, but they have spent a lot of draft capital on positions like interior OL, MLB, RB, and Safety. These are not high value positions in the NFL and the Colts seriously lack some skill position talent. Fields needs someone to get him playmakers and I want to see a focus on building a modern high powered offense.

None of this means Dodds will have the same approach, and we have no idea about his influence in these areas, but that is why I am asking why people are so high on him. I have read the same that he is a respected talent evaluator and people seem to say he has good leadership qualities, but that is said about all of these GM candidates. I'm a little worried that Ballard's media adoration is hyping up their front office and coaching staffs.
They have never drafted even an average CB or EDGE player (Paye could be tbf), in seven years. That seems like a pretty big issue. They also hired Reich after reportedly missing out on Nagy iirc.

Dodds has a solid track record, I don't know his exact role there, and I would not be against him, but the Colts drafting has not been great while he's been there.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
They have never drafted even an average CB or EDGE player (Paye could be tbf), in seven years. That seems like a pretty big issue. They also hired Reich after reportedly missing out on Nagy iirc.

Dodds has a solid track record, I don't know his exact role there, and I would not be against him, but the Colts drafting has not been great while he's been there.
They hired Reich after missing out on Josh McDaniels, just to be clear.

Imabearsfan

Liked Posts:

And he's only been the GM there for 4 years. They've had the 10th ranked defense the last couple of years, so they've got to be doing something right. Besides, you can't draft/build every single position right away. I'd much rather have a GM that drafts value and potential regardless position. Otherwise you get reaches based on need and that's what sets you back as a franchise. Ravens are another example of a team that drafts value rather than need. They've done pretty well over the years too.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Pro Bowl selection process is flawed to be sure, but Indy has the most probowlers of any team in the league.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
And he's only been the GM there for 4 years. They've had the 10th ranked defense the last couple of years, so they've got to be doing something right. Besides, you can't draft/build every single position right away. I'd much rather have a GM that drafts value and potential regardless position. Otherwise you get reaches based on need and that's what sets you back as a franchise. Ravens are another example of a team that drafts value rather than need. They've done pretty well over the years too.
Five years, right? They haven't been very good drafting, outside 2018. 2020 was probably average. 17, 19 not good. Anyway, as I mentioned I would not be unhappy with Dodds but I don't think the colts have been great drafting since that group arrived, outside 2018 which was a great draft.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They hired Reich after missing out on Josh McDaniels, just to be clear.
I thought they had been interested in Nagy too early in the process, maybe I am misremembering.

Edit: it was reported:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sounds like another bullshit artist.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:

Record isn't everything when evaluating one person's performace. Nagy had a winning record with us.