Eddie Jackson has "Clean Slate" according to Eberflus

Liked Posts:
The most interesting part about the EJ chat wasn’t even the “clean slate” part but that the coach talked a bit about what he sees as EJ’s strengths and how he plans to utilize him. I know there was mention about his ability on blitzes which was surprising given Desai’s reluctance to use safeties in blitzing situations so it was difficult to tell.

To me that states that Flus isn’t just saying “clean slate” because of his contract hit but that he genuinely believes that EJ can have a big impact on the defensive side of the ball. Means 2 major things though, if Flus can kickstart EJ then he could be a playmaker for the defense. If he doesn’t I suspect it’s going to be a very short leash for EJ.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Just to come back to my comment above about EJ's stats going downhill after he got paid coinciding with both Amos and Fangio's departures, I decided to take a quick look at their (Amos and Jackon's) PFF grades, both together and apart. PFF grade isn't the end-all be-all, but it's a quick evaluation of overall player quality.

2017:
Amos: 90.9
Jackson: 68.3

2018:
Amos: 82.9
Jackson: 93.2

2019:
Amos: 76.5
Jackson: 67.0

2020:
Amos: 89.4
Jackson: 59.8

2021:
Amos: 74.7
Jackson: 59.0

We chose the wrong guy. At this point, it looks like it's just about getting league average play out of a guy who's only scored above around league average (according to this scoring system) in one out of his 5 seasons.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Really a no-lose situation here in terms of Poles-Eberflus. Neither of them drafted him, or signed his extension. The only loyalty here is to the salary cap. If he shows out, great. If not, send his ass packing and get your replacement.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I don't see Jackson returning to all-pro or even pro-bowl form. He has really gotten worse every year.

Had he really cared about being great, he would have taken a long hard look at the 2020 season and bounced back some last season.. instead he continued to regress.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
EJ is soft and even if he has a good year, I'd venture to guess he'd fall right back into his form of the last three years. Two INTs in the last three years is completely unacceptable, especially considering he's not a tackler.

He, like the 2018 Bears in general, were simply the recipients of a bunch of lucky bounces. Everything lined up perfectly that year and they were blessed. Happens to the Bears every five years or so.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Just to come back to my comment above about EJ's stats going downhill after he got paid coinciding with both Amos and Fangio's departures, I decided to take a quick look at their (Amos and Jackon's) PFF grades, both together and apart. PFF grade isn't the end-all be-all, but it's a quick evaluation of overall player quality.

2017:
Amos: 90.9
Jackson: 68.3

2018:
Amos: 82.9
Jackson: 93.2

2019:
Amos: 76.5
Jackson: 67.0

2020:
Amos: 89.4
Jackson: 59.8

2021:
Amos: 74.7
Jackson: 59.0

We chose the wrong guy. At this point, it looks like it's just about getting league average play out of a guy who's only scored above around league average (according to this scoring system) in one out of his 5 seasons.

It was absolutely the right move at the time picking Jackson over Amos it just didn’t work out. In todays NFL you have to pick the guy who at the time was a young, ascensinding playmaker coming off a truly elite season at FS over an above average box safety.

It also didn’t help changing the scheme every single year away from what he did best. We thought he was more Mike Brown at the time but he was really more Nathan Vasher in terms of being a guy who was only making most of the plays because teams were more scared of the guys around him and he was able to capitalize on it.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
It was absolutely the right move at the time picking Jackson over Amos it just didn’t work out. In todays NFL you have to pick the guy who at the time was a young, ascensinding playmaker coming off a truly elite season at FS over an above average box safety.

It also didn’t help changing the scheme every single year away from what he did best. We thought he was more Mike Brown at the time but he was really more Nathan Vasher in terms of being a guy who was only making most of the plays because teams were more scared of the guys around him and he was able to capitalize on it.
But history has still shown we picked the wrong guy regardless of whether it was the right choice "at the time." When one of the safeties out performs the other, rather clearly, and that guy is the one we didn't choose, clearly we made the wrong decision. Doesn't matter if Amos isn't flashy; if he does his job better than the other, that makes him a better player. He's also done it on two different teams for various different coaching staffs unlike our guy who apparently needs the defense tailor made to him in order to (maybe) perform well.

It's ok to recognize this and take the loss.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
At the time of the signing Jackson was one of the best FS in the league. He looked like the next Ed Reed. He was a back to back pro-bowler.

No way I would have signed Amos at 9 million/year like the Packers did.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
At the time of the signing Jackson was one of the best FS in the league. He looked like the next Ed Reed. He was a back to back pro-bowler.

No way I would have signed Amos at 9 million/year like the Packers did.
...and yet they got the better player on a better deal. It's not the first time a guy flamed out after getting a big pay day and it won't be the last. I've also said that I wouldn't completely give up on Eddie Jackson being a functional player with Eberflus at the helm, but the chances of him living up to his contract for just this coming season are about next to none.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
Yeah we must have been.

So it's the 2021 NFL Chicago Bears if you'd like to go watch the tape since you missed the season. Eddie Jackson wore #4 last year and plays S/NB on defense.
Yeah, and tackled the enthusiasm of a butterfly. Good Lord, you clearly weren’t watching.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
The most interesting part about the EJ chat wasn’t even the “clean slate” part but that the coach talked a bit about what he sees as EJ’s strengths and how he plans to utilize him. I know there was mention about his ability on blitzes which was surprising given Desai’s reluctance to use safeties in blitzing situations so it was difficult to tell.

To me that states that Flus isn’t just saying “clean slate” because of his contract hit but that he genuinely believes that EJ can have a big impact on the defensive side of the ball. Means 2 major things though, if Flus can kickstart EJ then he could be a playmaker for the defense. If he doesn’t I suspect it’s going to be a very short leash for EJ.
I am expecting the short leash to be used. EJax is an F***ing panzy.

baredown

Liked Posts:
The fact that Eberflus used the term "clean slate" suggests that Jackson is being put on notice his last few years haven't been good enough. Players that performed at acceptable levels aren't described as getting a "clean slate"...

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I saw this. I think everyone they didn't see potential in, they jettisoned. Those left at least have potential to offer.

That said, just because someone has a clean slate, doesn't also mean they don't have a short leash. Not just for Eddie but for everyone.

The expecation for Coach Flus is you are going to run, and you are going to WORK. If Eddie can't hack it, they'll replace him in 2023. And I think the same goes for just about everyone else left on the team.

Very much a trial year to see if the guys left can fit into the dynamic the new coach brings.
Agreed, hope EJ realizes how important this year is for his career and busts his ass, he was unreal that year so you know it's possible.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Take the dead cap hit now instead of next year. Find a cheap safety as FA continues to play out or as more training camp cuts happen. The best asset Poles has is low expectations right now. Keep clearing the deck for 2023.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I predict Matt E will be sorely disappointed. It won’t take him long to recognize Jackson’s allergy to contact, and will see right through Eddie’s uncanny ability to do just enough to fool the many gullible Bear fans into somehow still believing he is good.
Eberflus couldn't recognize it by watching tape, but will recognize it on the field? Makes sense.

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
If Floss the Boss is as tough as he’s being presented, if EJ doesn’t give and Un-EJ-like effort he’ll be given the boot pretty fast IMO.