Eddie Pineiro v. Ramiz Ahmed competition may be interesting

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
First, let me apologize for this absolutely boring thread. I mean, back up kicker thread? Really? I get it. But, we have time to kill.

That said, Ramiz Ahmed actually has a good story for hidden gem. He walked on spontaneously at Nevada...no real training...AS A JUNIOR! It was a whim. He boomed the ball enough to get the job. Then his ONLY year of true preparation and training was curtailed because he needed shoulder surgery..

Of course, he went undrafted And had no invites...nor should he have. But now he has had 1 full year of training and he looks impressive.

Here's who is coming to camp.

Also, a person who represents himself as a kicking coack thinks his style is unique. I don't know if it is or not. But here's the tweet that contains a slo mo video of Ahmed's kicking style.

Also, Pineiro often times kicks with no rotation on the ball. And that was incredibly unstable and the ball had a tendency to shoot off in a direction.

In short, Pineiro is far from good and he better be looking over his shoulder.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
First, let me apologize for this absolutely boring thread. I mean, back up kicker thread? Really? I get it. But, we have time to kill.

That said, Ramiz Ahmed actually has a good story for hidden gem. He walked on spontaneously at Nevada...no real training...AS A JUNIOR! It was a whim. He boomed the ball enough to get the job. Then his ONLY year of true preparation and training was curtailed because he needed shoulder surgery..

Of course, he went undrafted And had no invites...nor should he have. But now he has had 1 full year of training and he looks impressive.

Also, a person who represents himself as a kicking coack thinks his style is unique. I don't know if it is or not. But here's the tweet that contains a slo mo video of Ahmed's kicking style.

Also, Pineiro often times kicks with no rotation on the ball. And that was incredibly unstable and the ball had a tendency to shoot off in a direction.

Ahmed is a significant upgrade over Pendejo.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At first I thought you were talking about British actor Riz Ahmed. I need more caffeine this morning..lol

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But who's holding?

Rotation or not, Pinero's ball always seemed to have some 'english' on it and for me the issue is that it wasn't always in the same direction. Probably means he has too much horizontal arc due to his lean or motion and isn't catching it in the same every time. If I were him, I'd stop trying to kick it straight and just play the draw for consistency.

Love the height and straightness of Ahmed's kicks in that vid.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He came up short on his 63 yard attempts. Big Deal. Hitting a FG from that distance would only happen in a desperate situation.

He has a hang time of around 4.2 seconds and about 7 deep in the endzone on kickoffs

I wonder how that compares to Eddie

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm good with what Eddie did for us in his first year with us. He showed he can make field goals in pressure situations, even though he did have a big pressure miss in a game that cost us the game. The thing about kickers is how they'll do in actual games and different in-game situations, all these guys can look good on a open practice field but will they make them when it actually counts is the question and a question that we won't know until we actually see it which will be too late if our kicker misses a game winner. It's all good with bringing in competition to keep Eddie on his toes but i'm good with giving Eddie a 2nd year as our kicker.

Last edited:

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
I'm good with what Eddie did for us in his first year with us. He showed he can make field goals in pressure situations, even though he did have a big pressure miss in a game that cost us the game. The thing about kickers is how they'll do in actual games and different in game situations, all these guys can look good on a open practice field but will they make them when it actually counts is the question and a question that we won't know until we actually see it which will be too late if our kicker misses a game winner. It's all good with me bringing in competition to keep Eddie on his toes but i'm good with giving Eddie a 2nd year as our kicker.

I read a while back last year that they take high speed footage and weigh that heavily. I thing that they seem to place a high value on that.

Pineiro kicked very little over 40 yards last year. And his percentage made was very blah. I think he's a below average kicker. High floor and low ceiling type of guy.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
But who's holding?

Rotation or not, Pinero's ball always seemed to have some 'english' on it and for me the issue is that it wasn't always in the same direction. Probably means he has too much horizontal arc due to his lean or motion and isn't catching it in the same every time. If I were him, I'd stop trying to kick it straight and just play the draw for consistency.

Love the height and straightness of Ahmed's kicks in that vid.

a draw is much harder to hit consistently as it is the old school of kicking. The problem with a draw is that you have to kick with a path to far from inside to out, kicking too far away from the target.

hitting a draw is the purest form of kicking but harder to reproduce thanhitting a fade. The fade allows you to swing much more down the line of the target, this zeroing out the path.

it’s statistically much easier to hit the fg if you’re aiming more down the target line, if the holder or snap isn’t precise than if it turns over a bit you still make the field goal. A draw requires you to aim further away from the target thus minimizing your target.

plus a fade is easier for the holder as they can be much less precise

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
a draw is much harder to hit consistently as it is the old school of kicking. The problem with a draw is that you have to kick with a path to far from inside to out, kicking too far away from the target.

hitting a draw is the purest form of kicking but harder to reproduce thanhitting a fade. The fade allows you to swing much more down the line of the target, this zeroing out the path.

it’s statistically much easier to hit the fg if you’re aiming more down the target line, if the holder or snap isn’t precise than if it turns over a bit you still make the field goal. A draw requires you to aim further away from the target thus minimizing your target.

Totally agree. It's also harder to get initial height on the draw but it goes further than a fade and less affected by the wind. That said straight is the name of the game. Just hit dumb balls that hold their line. Point was that if you can't, pick one curve or the other to gain some consistency.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:

You seem to know more about kicking than most on this board. And to be honest, I probably understood 50% of what you wrote - my fault not yours. What do you think of Ahmed's technique? Is it an unusual style as the kicking coach remarked on Twitter. If it is, what are the implications as to accuracy and distance.

fridges fatboys

Liked Posts:
Kickers sure are tricky to find. Years ago i had no idea why the Bears signed a guy with 63.9% college field goal percentage 39/61. It turns out that was what Robbie Gould did in college. He was only 7/13 his senior year! This kid was 15/20 but his bio says he was 15/16 from inside 40 Yds so he obviously missed all of his kicks outside 40. Like that the ball seems to come out straight almost every kick. The weird thing to me is the angle the holder is holding the ball is almost 45 degrees.

Urlacher_24

Liked Posts:

He def has a leg and decent accuracy. See how that translates with a line in front of him during a game. But from what I see I’d say Eddie best he nervouse that guy looks damned good.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I have no idea about this kid, but anything’s worth a shot.

Guys, Pineiro is not very good.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I remember right, Pineiro was perfect until that pinched nerve in his kickng leg which i think impacted him all season and why he no longer did kickoffs.

i think he can turn into our guy.

or not. But i’m 100 percent sure he either is or isn’t

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Based off what criteria ? His 85% NFL FG accuracy? His 25 60+ yard FG'S converted, I'm no fan of Pendejo, but at least he has Some game experience, some good, some bad, so calling Ahmed a significant upgrade is wishful koolaid blather