Elephant in the room, Nagy

Liked Posts:
I don't think Nagy is the long term answer at all. I have more faith on some of the coaches underneath him in helping Fields grow, but Nagy needs to let go of playcalling duties entirely and focus only on the "rah rah" aspect of coaching, which is the only thing he's good at.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It's a lazy take but we have to wait and see. Plain and simple. I have no clue if Nagy is the guy to coach Fields. What i do know is that Nagy had input on this guy, a supremely talented and accomplished QB with all of the tools. Nagy will be out of excuses if this doesn't work out. None. In fact, id say he'll never see an OC job again if he bombs this.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
We have a potentially very good to great QB in the draft.....can Matt Nagy develop him?

Yes we got a QB, but do we have a coach the can get the most from Fields or will Fields have to overcome Matt Nagy?
Short answer is no.

Nagy's incompetence goes way beyond QB development. His play designs, inability to create WR space, playcalling, late time getting the plays in , clock management, lack of adjustments in game and game to game are not solved by a rookie QB. Hell, he couldn't even do it with a veteran like Foles getting on his ass about it.

The bull elephant in the room is how long will Pace or McCaskey allow Nagy to jeopardize JFF's development.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
They have three ex QBs on the staff directly responsible for his success in the HC, OC, and QB coach. It's either they have everything they need and should have no problem developing him, or their will be too many cooks in the kitchen. Nagy and Lazor have bigger issues, hopefully they can leave the development up to the QB coach mostly and just hope it works out.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We have a potentially very good to great QB in the draft.....can Matt Nagy develop him?

Yes we got a QB, but do we have a coach the can get the most from Fields or will Fields have to overcome Matt Nagy?

This is, by far, the most concerning factor to me. Matt Nagy is 0 for 1 in QB development as a HC and seems absolutely rigid in his schemes and designs. Will Matt Nagy design the offense around the strengths of Fields to get the most out of him? If he did, it would be the first time.

I'm excited for having Fields, nervous about the pairing with Nagy.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Nagy has done a shit job of managing QBs and the offense in general. I hope Fields can overcome this.
Agreed. The hope is that he only needed a QB that didn't require a ton of management. I expect Fields to run a complex O competently and who know? Having to wait for a QB may have helped Nagy better understand how to tweak for attributes.

That said, what is it that Fields can't do? :beer:

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I firmly believe that Fields will make it obvious that Nagy sucks, much like Watson did in Houston.

No one being genuine thinks Watson is the "football problem" in Houston.

It's not going to be like with Mitch. Fields will make a hell of a lot of great plays where Mitch couldn't. The glaring issue will be consistency which will fall on the coaching staff.

Last edited:

Collins77

Liked Posts:
I think Nagys gonna be here for a long time. Hes finally got "His" guy. I think its a perfect match. It's gonna be what we tried to do with Trubisky. This time we can have a bigger, faster, more intelligent QB. I hope he sits until at least week 9 or 10, but when he gets on the feild its gonna be like nothing Bears fans are used to.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nagy probably couldn't stand up to high five on the Fields selection.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Looking at Fields tape it looks like he will be the first QB Nagy has had here that can actually throw a deep ball. I expect Nagy offense to potentially look competent with the ability to stretch the field
Agreed but I think one more speedster Wr would really help.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Nagy has to prove he can run the offence with Dalton for a year before he ever gets the chance to utilise Fields - it should determine whether he has the talent to be around the kid when he eventually breaks into the team.