Emery free to fire Lovie after this season

D-Fresh3

Liked Posts:
This seems like a smart decision, but you have to think how it will affect the team. Cutler, Marshall and Bates are all back together, and this is Cutlers third OC in 4 years. If Lovie got fired, would we keep all of the coordinators we have or would the new HC be allowed to bring in whomever he wants? Unless Emery can get a new HC to deal with using the existing coordinators I just don't think it is worth it. Not even only Tice at OC, but Marinelli at DC. I would hate to lose Marinelli at this point, because he is such a good D-Line coach.

I agree that if Lovie can't make it happen with this team, that his contract should be speculated, but I think just like you can't judge draft picks their first season, with a new OC and new faces all over the team, I think Lovie deserves atleast two years to get his act together, and I think he has earned it with where he has had this team in the standings the past 5-6 years. Sure we all want super bowls, but I will take not being embarassed with a 3-13 record...He got here in 2004, and his worst season was his first with only 5 wins, but since then hasn't had a season where they won less then 7 games, also making it to the conference championship twice in those years, and to the super bowl once.

I have never been a huge Lovie fan, and who knows what WOULD happen if we let him go, but I we need to keep this offense in place if we want Cutler to have any chance at all to succeed over the next few years.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
TICE for head coach !!! :crazydance:

D-Fresh3

Liked Posts:
I'm more of a Paul Rhodes fan, but hey, If it happens I want a winner in this league not another no name from the South.

[video=youtube;iKCx_XyN9g4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKCx_XyN9g4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKCx_XyN9g4[/video]

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Before I get started, Lovie Smith is not close to getting fired and Phil Emery does not have the thought in his head to fire Smith. When the Chicago Bears hired Emery, owner George McCaskey tols him Smith would be the head coach for the 2012 season. As that means, Emery had no say in the keeping of Smith. However, after the 2012 season concludes, Emery has all the freedom to fire Smith if he chooses to do so.

Smith's contract does not run out until the end of the 2013 season. Smith may be more on the hot seat this year because he has an offense to go with a defense. Don't get me wrong, head coaches are always on the hot seat during a season. It will be nothing new to Smith as he's been on the hot seat since he's been in Chicago.

"Lovie has said there's pressure every year to win. That's just a fact of life in the NFL," McCaskey told "The Carmen, Jurko & Harry Show" on ESPN 1000. "We told Phil when he came in that Lovie had to be the coach in 2012. He accepted that condition. We also told him that he would have the freedom to make a change if he thought it was necessary after 2012."

"The hope is that we win the Super Bowl and there won't be a change."

Emery said he was fine with keeping Smith as the head coach and likes Smith. However, Emery does have expectations...

"As far as my expectations, it's the same as I put on myself," he told reporters on Wednesday. "I said this when I first came in, we expect to be experts at our given jobs. And our goal is excellence and coming together to win championships, and that's my expectations -- to make steady progress towards those goals.

"I consider this a team that has goals. And we want to make progress towards those goals daily and weekly, every Sunday, towards those goals. And I want to know where that direction is. It won't be Week 1, Week 2. It'll be at the end of the season. I want to know what the direction of our team is daily and weekly toward attaining our goals, and that's how I'll determine it. Are we achieving excellence? Are we moving towards our goals or not?"

Smith said he's not worried about his contract for now.

"Nobody's really thinking about contracts," he said Wednesday. "You think about contracts in the offseason, you negotiate things there.

"Right now, I think as a football team, we're just ready to see everyone out on the football field doing their job, and that's the message."

People may disagree with me, but I like Smith as a head coach and think he's a great coach. I expect the Bears to have a great season and he'll be back next season.

http://www.rantsports.com/chicago-b...y-has-right-to-fire-lovie-smith-after-season/

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
This seems like a smart decision, but you have to think how it will affect the team. Cutler, Marshall and Bates are all back together, and this is Cutlers third OC in 4 years. If Lovie got fired, would we keep all of the coordinators we have or would the new HC be allowed to bring in whomever he wants? Unless Emery can get a new HC to deal with using the existing coordinators I just don't think it is worth it. Not even only Tice at OC, but Marinelli at DC. I would hate to lose Marinelli at this point, because he is such a good D-Line coach.

I agree that if Lovie can't make it happen with this team, that his contract should be speculated, but I think just like you can't judge draft picks their first season, with a new OC and new faces all over the team, I think Lovie deserves atleast two years to get his act together, and I think he has earned it with where he has had this team in the standings the past 5-6 years. Sure we all want super bowls, but I will take not being embarassed with a 3-13 record...He got here in 2004, and his worst season was his first with only 5 wins, but since then hasn't had a season where they won less then 7 games, also making it to the conference championship twice in those years, and to the super bowl once.

I have never been a huge Lovie fan, and who knows what WOULD happen if we let him go, but I we need to keep this offense in place if we want Cutler to have any chance at all to succeed over the next few years.

David Toub is more than qualified to fill the vacancy.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
David Toub is more than qualified to fill the vacancy.

He'd be #1 on my list, unless we could get like Cowher, or someone similar. Tice is right behind Toub, because if things go bad enough that Lovie gets fired, then Tice probably wasn't fantastic

D-Fresh3

Liked Posts:
I agree with Rory, which is interesting, because in the event Lovie leaves at anytime I don't want us to promote from within. Especially not our special teams coordinator to head coach. Go out and find someone new, and let that coach put together the team he wants. Lovie is a good coach, and I don't see the point in even having this conversation. He isn't going to get fired. Saying "Lovie should get fired" is almost as dumb as saying "Dave Toub is qualified to be a head coach."

Please enlighten me on his qualifications....

Last edited:

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Is this more of your "baiting with misinformation" nonsense?

Dave Toub has had no head coaching experience at any level. Not even high school or junior high. He has almost zero qualifications to be a head coach.

10 years on the job working with players on all 3 sides of the ball is plenty.

Now go play in traffic.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Who would much rather see a coach with "fire & passion?"

D-Fresh3

Liked Posts:
Members of the Jury, Me and my fellow persecutor Rory Sparrow are done examining the facts, we rest our case.

Sidebar, lawyered.

Good Day.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Who would much rather see a coach with "fire & passion?"

I work by Halas Hall & a guy I work with cut Lovie off in traffic. Lovie pulled up to him at the next light, cursed him out fierce & actually wanted him to get out of the car so they could fight.

Guess all you need to bring out the "fire" in Lovie is to cut him off on his way to work.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I work by Halas Hall & a guy I work with cut Lovie off in traffic. Lovie pulled up to him at the next light, cursed him out fierce & actually wanted him to get out of the car so they could fight.

Guess all you need to bring out the "fire" in Lovie is to cut him off on his way to work.

Every meatball fan should read that story, photocopy it, and pin it up where they will see it daily.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Don't you remember the meaning of green text? Your postings in that thread were a total fail, BTW.

I'm not buying what you're shoveling, back then you were quite a bit more agreeable.

Then somehow you morphed into FT...

Although Miami is certainly far from a top-notch organization, he did interview and his name has been kicked around on a few other teams. So, someone out there other than I feels he is qualified. Yet you state he isn't qualified. Which means if you are correct, you're better at assessing HC talent than a few NFL teams. My, you've learned quite a bit in the past 9 months...

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I'm not buying what you're shoveling, back then you were quite a bit more agreeable.

Then somehow you morphed into FT...

Although Miami is certainly far from a top-notch organization, he did interview and his name has been kicked around on a few other teams. So, someone out there other than I feels he is qualified. Yet you state he isn't qualified. Which means if you are correct, you're better at assessing HC talent than a few NFL teams. My, you've learned quite a bit in the past 9 months...

Lots of candidates are interviewed for jobs they aren't qualified for.. no different than with NFL Head coaching jobs. Sometimes coaches get those jobs when they really don't have a track record that shows they should get the job. Mike Singletarry was with very little experience to demonstrate he was ready to handle a head coaching job but he moved up the ladder in San Fran.

People like to make the John Harbaugh comparison... teams were interested in him a bit but not sold on his record. Having grown up with his father being a coach and being at UM as a kid watching Coach Bo did give people respect to his resume.. but he wasn't seemed qualified. Ried allowed Harbaugh to move coach DB's in 2007 along with Special teams to make him more qualified.

I thought there was the oppertunity for the Bears to do that recently. They could of made him the D-ilne coach when Rod became DC or O-line coach this year with Tice going to OC.. but since those Coordinator's are still the main go to guys for their lines, I suppose adding "surrogate" types of coaches was their move.

If the team fails which causes Lovie to get fired, if the offense looks improving in this system, Tice is more qualified than Toub even if his record in Minnesota was not good.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I have not heard Toub's name "kicked around on a few other teams". Perhaps you can tell me which specific teams were interested in Toub for their HC job?

I don't really care that he 'interviewed' for a position. It still doesn't make him qualified. Raheem Morris was given the Tampa job a couple years ago and his qualifications were even worse than Toub's! Morris was like the quality control/film editor guy. Needless to say, Morris lasted about a year in that job before getting canned. Conversely, Robin Ventura wasn't qualified for the White Sox job, yet he's done very well. I can't see into the future and determine if Toub would be a good head coach (although I have serious doubts)...all I'm saying is that FACTUALLY SPEAKING he has ALMOST NO HEAD COACHING QUALIFICATIONS WHATSOEVER.

May I ask what criteria is being used to determine your qualifications?. Assuming we agree prior experience as an NFL assistant is one, Toub has the same amount of service as Rivera. But if it were based upon time spent playing the game, then he isn't qualified.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
May I ask what criteria is being used to determine your qualifications?. Assuming we agree prior experience as an NFL assistant is one, Toub has the same amount of service as Rivera. But if it were based upon time spent playing the game, then he isn't qualified.

When was Toub a DC?

Eventhough they tailor draft picks forToub, I highly doubt they would hand him the keys if Lovie were let go.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
When was Toub a DC?

Eventhough they tailor draft picks forToub, I highly doubt they would hand him the keys if Lovie were let go.

Was referring to length of service as any assistant, OC, DC, or STC.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Wow...didn't think this would be so difficult.

Criteria I am using is: head coaching experience on any level, assitant coaching experience (NFL prefered), offensive/defensive coordinator experience on any level.

"Same amount of service" is pretty lame, because you are equating quality control with head coach. Rivera was a successful defensive coordinator for several years. The highest level of experience Toub has is either his few years as a collegiate defensive line coach, or his years as an NFL special teams coach.

I'm stopping here, because the sports discussion on this site has, once again, seemingly become intentionally Special person. Maybe you an NCCHiFan can talk about it more.

If you don't wish for a response, then cease posting in my direction. OC/DC's work with only O and D players respectively. STC's work with both, and therefore are just as qualified...if not more.