Eric Fisher as bridge LT?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
It was brought up in another thread but I think it warrants its own discussion. There were rumors Eric Fisher was in talks with a few franchises before the draft and the Bears wasted no time clearing nine million dollars and cutting the player he would replace. Bears still have some low-hanging fruit they can part with to make room for Fisher.

The reason this makes so much sense? Both the Saints tackles are unrestricted free agents after this season and both are elite players. It is possible the Saints retain both, but they only have one franchise tag they can use and if the one they do not tag is intent on hitting the open market there is nothing they can do. The Bears adding Terron Armstead or Ryan Ramczyk to pair with Teven Jenkins in the 2022-23 season would be a pretty comprehensive solution to the Bears tackle woes.

bullsrose

Liked Posts:
would love to get him at like $3 mil per, maybe Bears use next yrs 2 on a LT moving forward

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Fisher tore his Achilles in I think the AFC championship game. What is the timeline for that injury? I know it differs depending on the person, but what good would it do to sign him if he’s not going to be ready until around December?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Normally I would say it makes so much sense that it will never happen, but this past week has me thinking this regime may have some sense afterall...so #SIGNHIM

greg23

Liked Posts:
If he's on track to play by sept/oct an easy HELL YEAH

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Fisher tore his Achilles in I think the AFC championship game. What is the timeline for that injury? I know it differs depending on the person, but what good would it do to sign him if he’s not going to be ready until around December?
august i believe is when he will be back

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Stars would have to align for this one.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
It was brought up in another thread but I think it warrants its own discussion. There were rumors Eric Fisher was in talks with a few franchises before the draft and the Bears wasted no time clearing nine million dollars and cutting the player he would replace. Bears still have some low-hanging fruit they can part with to make room for Fisher.

The reason this makes so much sense? Both the Saints tackles are unrestricted free agents after this season and both are elite players. It is possible the Saints retain both, but they only have one franchise tag they can use and if the one they do not tag is intent on hitting the open market there is nothing they can do. The Bears adding Terron Armstead or Ryan Ramczyk to pair with Teven Jenkins in the 2022-23 season would be a pretty comprehensive solution to the Bears tackle woes.

they have more work to do if they want to bring in fisher, leno did clear 9 mill but bears also need 5 mill of that to sign the draft class really only leaving 4 mill and change in space if i'm interpreting it right. If fisher is willing to take something low or near the vet minimum, a few cuts like wims, williams, lucas, should be enough to get it done...ideally cutting graham would give the bears the space to get someone like fisher and money for emergency signings during the season but without graham the bears really dont have a U TE...

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Fisher isn't a realistic option for us coming off injury.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I think the average time it takes to get back on the field after an Achilles tear is 11 months? I don't see anyway he's ready until late in the season.

Just as soon go get Mitchell Schwartz and plug him in at right tackle.

Obviously if Fisher is inexplicably able to play a majority of the season than by all means.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
Ramczyk is also a RT. Don't need another ones of those after drafting 2 of them this year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah, Fisher isn't a realistic option for us coming off injury.
I don't think he's realistic because he's still only 30 years old and a really good LT when healthy so i think people are expecting him to sign with someone on a cheap deal because he's coming off the injury.

Sure hope i'm wrong cause he'd be a hell of a addition if he does check out medically and is expected back by season opener or close to it.

YoungPA

Liked Posts:
Stop being scared of failing. My goodness, throw the kid Jenkins out there and let him learn on the job. Better for him to make his mistakes protecting Dalton or Foles. But to use the cap space on a bridge Left Tackle is waistful. Especially after drafting a Tackle that has 1st round grade. Better to use that money on a vet Corner.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Stop being scared of failing. My goodness, throw the kid Jenkins out there and let him learn on the job. Better for him to make his mistakes protecting Dalton or Foles. But to use the cap space on a bridge Left Tackle is waistful. Especially after drafting a Tackle that has 1st round grade. Better to use that money on a vet Corner.

I mean, if he's healthy, Fisher is much more than a bridge tackle. He's top 10 left tackle.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Relying on Fisher is not a plan...that can't be the answer

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I don't think he's realistic because he's still only 30 years old and a really good LT when healthy so i think people are expecting him to sign with someone on a cheap deal because he's coming off the injury.

Sure hope i'm wrong cause he'd be a hell of a addition if he does check out medically and is expected back by season opener or close to it.
He might take a one year deal now to prove he's recovered then cash in big time next off-season.