ESPN 30 for 30: Ben Wilson

Liked Posts:
Wow, did anyone else see ESPN 30 for 30's latest masterpiece?

This guy was Michael Jordan BEFORE Michael Jordan and could have rivaled him at the same period of time! History would have been so different if the greatest Chicago-born player hadn't been dealt the cruel twist of fate that came his way.

These things are so well done and seeing this tonight...it made me laugh...it made me cry...man if you didn't catch this tonight shame on you.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Not quite Jordan before Jordan, but he would have been a perennial all-star easily and yes, rivaled Jordan.

I didn't see it yet, but I will for sure.

And for those Bulls fans who don't care about Benji's history, but love Rose. You should watch something like this, and understand why Rose(and many other players at Simeon) wear 25.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This guy would have changed the 80's and 90's NBA as we remember it.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I remember when he was murdered, I was really young but knew the tragedy well. I don't know how much he would have changed the NBA...but he would have definitely changed Illini basketball in my opinion. Illinois basketball would not have been the same had he went there.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This guy would have changed the 80's and 90's NBA as we remember it.

Why?

Look, I get Ben Wilson was a hell of a HS player but there have been tons of great HS players that go on and do shit in college, or get themselves caught up in BS. There was a kid out of Detroit in the mid-late 90's that was supposed to be what Benji was. Magic mixed with some other great. Winfred Walton flamed out.

It was a really interesting show and a really good 30 for 30...but there's a lot of mythology here.

On a side note: R Kelly and Jesse Jackson angered me more in last night's episode than Benji's shooter did.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Len Bias vs Ben Wilson would be a good argument.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Len Bias vs Ben Wilson would be a good argument.

Not really. Bias at least dominated the collegiate ranks for 2-3 seasons. Would Benji have done that? Maybe. Maybe not. Benji never got the chance to even play his senior season of HS, let alone college ball.

Liked Posts:
I mean...LISTEN.

We get that there have been tons of Bo Kimbles and Korleone Youngs and even guys we've never heard of like Ronnie Fields who dominated the High School scene.

But Ben Wilson doesn't strike me as Kimle-esque.

Watching those highlights last night was astonishingly surreal - to the extent that I had to remind myself "This was '84" because it seemed like a clip from 8 years ago. This guy was LIGHTYEARS ahead of his time, in a way that Len Bias conducted himself as well.

So I think you're wrong there - it's a shame this guy never got a chance to play in the NBA, he was every bit as talented and capable as a Michael Jordan and a Kevin Willis by those who were there watching these games in person, and had this never happened, he would have been recognized not only as one of the top 50 back in 96 but he and Michael Jordan would have had a rivalry on par with Wilt and Russell, only a freak athlete guard one.

And furthermore, I also think you're out of line for almost speaking in a way that disrespects Wilson completely and that is insensitive to this sad tragedy.

Show a little compassion.

Why?

Look, I get Ben Wilson was a hell of a HS player but there have been tons of great HS players that go on and do shit in college, or get themselves caught up in BS. There was a kid out of Detroit in the mid-late 90's that was supposed to be what Benji was. Magic mixed with some other great. Winfred Walton flamed out.

It was a really interesting show and a really good 30 for 30...but there's a lot of mythology here.

On a side note: R Kelly and Jesse Jackson angered me more in last night's episode than Benji's shooter did.

Liked Posts:
I mean, yes. Imagine if Michael Jordan was shot dead in the streets of Chicago in 1984 after a game.

Think about how different the history of the NBA as well as American sports would be.

It's crazy man.

I remember when he was murdered, I was really young but knew the tragedy well. I don't know how much he would have changed the NBA...but he would have definitely changed Illini basketball in my opinion. Illinois basketball would not have been the same had he went there.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean...LISTEN.

We get that there have been tons of Bo Kimbles and Korleone Youngs and even guys we've never heard of like Ronnie Fields who dominated the High School scene.

Watching those highlights last night was astonishingly surreal - to the extent that I had to remind myself "This was '84" because it seemed like a clip from 8 years ago. This guy was LIGHTYEARS ahead of his time, in a way that Len Bias conducted himself as well.

So I think you're wrong there - it's a shame this guy never got a chance to play in the NBA, he was every bit as talented and capable as a Michael Jordan and a Kevin Willis by those who were there watching these games in person, and had this never happened, he would have been recognized not only as one of the top 50 back in 96 but he and Michael Jordan would have had a rivalry on par with Wilt and Russell, only a freak athlete guard one.

:andruw:

Mythology.

And furthermore, I also think you're out of line for almost speaking in a way that disrespects Wilson completely and that is insensitive to this sad tragedy.

Zero fucks given.

How did I "disrespect" Wilson? By saying he may not have ended up in the NBA or been a HOF'er?

GTFO.

Last edited:

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I mean...LISTEN.

I saw the episode, his domination of Kenny Battle(who was a first round selection)in Champaign was fun to watch again. I say again b/c I graduated HS the same year. This was a double tragedy, the shooting initially and the mishandling of his medical care that most likely would have prevented his death.

Liked Posts:
Why do you have to go and use that kind of language? Aren't there forum rules regarding hate speech and profanity? I know there used to be and if that's gone away then that needs to be re-examined because that is ridiculous.

That is exactly this type of attitude I was referring to - you just don't seem to have any sympathy regarding the way he was tragically killed and then on top of that you go and chip away at his legacy, saying he would have been a bust if he got to the NBA. That is just irresponsible but also unfair. Would he have been greater than Jordan? Probably not but anyone who saw this documentary HAS to conclude he would have been an all-time great and if you don't acknowledge that then you're foolish.

Zero fucks given.

How did I "disrespect" Wilson? By saying he may not have ended up in the NBA or been a HOF'er?

GTFO.[/QUOTE]

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why do you have to go and use that kind of language? Aren't there forum rules regarding hate speech and profanity? I know there used to be and if that's gone away then that needs to be re-examined because that is ridiculous.

That is exactly this type of attitude I was referring to - you just don't seem to have any sympathy regarding the way he was tragically killed and then on top of that you go and chip away at his legacy, saying he would have been a bust if he got to the NBA. That is just irresponsible but also unfair. Would he have been greater than Jordan? Probably not but anyone who saw this documentary HAS to conclude he would have been an all-time great and if you don't acknowledge that then you're foolish.

1. never said that.

2. LOL at old HS footage= ALL TIME GREAT!

Shamgods footage from HS>>>Benji's.

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
You are all sick bastards and the devil is waiting in Hell for you all. The ghost of Benji is probably trying to smack y'all in the head, but his arms are just going right through you...........:(

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The grandstanding at a kid's memorial service was one of the most disgusting things I've ever watched.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Did you SEE Kevin Willis play!?

I saw Kevin Willis play...not that great, really. As for your comparison to Michael Jordan BEFORE Michael Jordan. Dude was in high school, Jordan was just drafted by the Bulls and into his rookie NBA season when Wilson was murdered. And no, I don't believe he would have been on Jordan's level had he made it to the next level.

Its ironic that I really didn't hear anyone say that in the movie, they no better than to compare the GOAT to an 18 year old boy. And I don't think he was the dominant high school player that is hyped in this thread. No doubt he was a great basketball player at his age...there is a greater two that come to mind? Lew Alcindor and Lebron James.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I saw the 30 for 30. Sad story indeed.

Liked Posts:
Are you forgetting the fact that he also has the record for the player who played the most NBA seasons?

He was a decent power forward/center for more than 2 decades.

That's a pretty good run.

If he played today he'd be a multiple-times All-Star. If I recall, he had seasons where he averaged 16 rebounds a game.

Yes! Possibly the biggest waste of talent ever...a 7-footer with the coordination of a point guard who would be routinely outperformed by Cliff Levingston and Antoine Carr. Kind of like an even more lazy version of Chris Webber.